Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lila29

How to improve curb appeal

lila29
9 years ago
We just purchased a home in our dream neighborhood. I'm looking for some ideas on how to improve the curb appeal.

Comments (5)

• Mary Sheehan Zsemlye
    9 years ago
    What is your budget?
  • buddiman11
    9 years ago
    The house looks great. The tree hides a large part of the house making it seem unbalanced. Removal of the tree and addition of some lower bushes and shrubs would look great. In the front nice flower beds would provide nice color. Possibly a pathway through a garden in the front with a nice bench. These would make the yard look very nice. The porch's shadow makes the front doorway very dark. Lots of color in that area whether with paint, furniture, and/or plants would brighten the area up. Good luck with whatever your plans may be.
    lila29 thanked buddiman11
  • PRO
    cg interiors group
    9 years ago
    The tree does block the house and is in an odd place. You could hang some ferns or flowers on the porch. The white siding looks outdated and could be warmed up a bit with paint. You could choose a color (beige, cream, taupe) that is close to the brick(?)
    lila29 thanked cg interiors group
  • osprey130
    9 years ago
    The tree really blocks your home and the shrubs could probably be replaced. Now you are working with a clean slate.
    I think starting along the foundation and working forward go to your nursery and choose appropriate plants.
    Always have start with evergreens as in the winter you will have color and no leave lose. Then you can mix in if you choose boxwood,etc and then some perennial flowers. Depending on where you live hydrangeas always add to a front garden. Good luck Teri
    lila29 thanked osprey130
  • libradesigneye
    9 years ago
    Congrats on your place . . . love the low hedge (could plant bulbs in front of it for spring color and just mulch the rest of the area between hedge and walk. . Something massed in front of the foundation and down the side would provide sofness in the summer - you could try a classic shrub that flowers seasonally . .

The earth toned roof and soft tan brick is lovely. I'd like to see you remove the dated screen door and paint your front door a welcoming cottage color with some personality. That may take a few years to feel ready to do.

If the windows are paintable, then changing the white siding under the entry porch and on the dormer makes sense along with changing the trim, but if not, I would only work on shifting the siding under the entry porch closer to the cream concrete paint on the foundation and leave the rest of the white to help balance the windows. Many newer windows are made of unpaintable vinyl (not completely unpaintable but effectively so). Please do not ever buy white unpaintable windows for your home if you need to replace windows and don't have any now. They are not ideal with your earth tones.

If you can paint, I would select a color close to the brick for the siding and foundation areas, and suggest a deeper muted blue green for your fascia, eaves, windows and door trim. Something like knoxville gray from ben moore would be darling. The next shade lighter - templeton gray would be sweet on the front door.

Yellow based tans / camels are some of the most difficult colors to select (as exhibited above). Even the cream on your foundation might look tan up close. So test / bring home yellow based tans until you find a chip that blends in so well to the brick that you can't see it from 5' off.

Finally, one way to address the older aluminum posts is simply to box them in with pressure treated wood and trim the tops and bottoms out so they appear as square posts. Paint these as the trim. If you have a favorite accent color you use in your living room, post it here and I can try to work it into other exterior color scheme options. With the neutral earth toned palette, you have lots of options. Darling bungalow - congrats again!
    lila29 thanked libradesigneye
Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio