Design Advice for Morning Room off Kitchen
momof5jenJune 17, 2014
Designers...we just built our home and need some advice for a room open to the kitchen and next to dining room via French doors. We call it a morning room since it's a place for coffee and no kids or tv. It has bright morning sun that flows into the kitchen which is Daisy white (warm white). I love the chairs and rug. The bench is to just to see scale and isn't staying. I was thinking maybe a slipcover sofa for a cozy california costal look. Thoughts?
Libbmom
sounds like you have a great plan...
1 Like    Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 8:24PM
adivra
I think the rug, light fixture and etagere are all a little petite for this room. It may not be huge square footage wise, but the windows, french door and ceiling give the room a grand appearance. Keep it open to the kitchen area, no one likes to sit with their backs to the action.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 8:37PM
momof5jen
You are right! I didn't notice how small the light looked now that the chairs are in place. I love the nail heads on the back of the chairs. I wonder how to configure it and still see them. Great feedback! Thanks!
    Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 8:42PM
laurakdesigns
What a beautiful space! I like the chairs too, but not for this space, as they are too delicate.
Perhaps this will give you some ideas, it's a sophisticated space, similar to yours

In practical terms, this is a great space for reading the paper, writing in a journal, or just having a cup of coffee and daydreaming out the window. Keep in mind how you'll use the space. Perhaps you have another place you can use the chairs.
3 Likes    Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 8:51PM
momof5jen
I found this sofa on clearance and am debating if it will work. But what about recommendations for the part of the room that faces the kitchen? Bigger wingback type chairs?
    Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 9:02PM
momof5jen
1 Like    Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 9:02PM
momof5jen
I moved the chairs in the dining room. Do you like this better?
1 Like    Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 9:12PM
laurakdesigns
The blue chairs are great in the dining room!

The sofa could possibly work...although it looks like you have a more sophisticated style. I find those arms can be limiting and take up extra space. With that said, If you find two comfy, creative chairs, I think you could make it work. You have the space, so find something you love. Best wishes, and enjoy your new space!
1 Like    Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 9:27PM
Panache Designs
The chairs are perfect in the dining room. Do not try to treat this as another living room with a sofa. I recommend 2 larger club chairs with a large ottoman in between them. This is a great look for a morning spot afternoon reading room. Definitely put a lighting change when you are able.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 9:37PM
momof5jen
I had this on my Pinterest account. I love the idea of a big tufted ottoman! From the foyer you can see the dining room and the French doors get hung up tomorrow to the morning room. You can see the kitchen also.
    Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 10:01PM
Consider a pair of chaises and table with lamp.
    Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 5:04AM
Maureen
Not sure if you are interested in a window seat and you could then place two comfy chairs opposite with an antique coffee table in the middle. Nice to have chairs facing both directions, so as to enjoy the view outside or to chat with those in the kitchen. If you build the seat wide enough to lie down, so much the better. On the left wall, place an antique armoire (if wall allows) to counter balance the large doors on other wall and for storage of books and magazines, candles, etc. A large chandelier (on a dimmer) and your rug and it's a room to die for! Pictures are not exactly your window/set up, but they provide the concepts.
Chatham Residence; Beach Style Kitchen; "green" remodel
1 Like    Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 9:05AM
laurakdesigns
Your Pinterest photo is perfect!
    Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 2:49PM
Living Room Re-Design Advice Please
I'd love some advice please. We have a long and narrow...
bubbles007
Open kitchen living room design
My kitchen and living room are open to each other....
Tracie Blizard
Super excited first time homebuyer in serious need of design advice!
Me and my wife are so excited to be finally moving...
Nick Ruta
Kitchen, master bath design feedback...
Good morning, I'm in the process of remodeling the...
cutiegifts
Family room fireplace tile, color wall and room carpet, layouf/flow advice please
’67 1 story track ranch dark and ODD SHAPED family...
lavarockhelp8
Help finishing my dining room
Looking for suggestions on finishing touches in my...
mom2asillywilly
HELP with wall in living room
I think the current console table that I have to the...
amcmonagle
Warm Oak Trim vs. Creamy White
Okay guys. The husband and I just bought our first...
Lauren Priest
MUCH needed & appreciated design help?
About a month ago, I moved into this house and about...
kayleeswenson
plain split foyer needs more curb appeal....any ideas?
traditional split foyer, brick on bottom/siding on...
karenj676