Need help with the design of our living room.
treecymark
We are in the process of finishing our living room. We need to purchase a cocktail table. Advice is greatly appreciated. Sofa dimensions are: 118"x92". Inside "carpet" dimensions are: 55"x79". Should we do a square or rectangle and what size?? I am attaching a picture of the room along with a pic of a table (style, not wood type) we like. Wall unit not complete yet with accessories. Additionally, we are about to install a modern bannister in a silver metal (see pic). Finally, pillow advice is appreciated too.. Thanks for all of your help!
I used to have a teak coffee just like that and always loved it, but I think with the blockiness created by the visual of your sectional, it won't be the best choice. See how the seat and two segments of the back of your sofa look somewhat like stacked bricks. The table will be just another block in the vignette. You need something more open and you might do well to pick up on the silver tone of the stair rail you are planning. How about a round glass and chrome table?
June 18, 2014 at 4:46AM     
treecymark
Thanks for the advice, however, if you notice the 2 end tables are black iron with glass. We felt that may be too much glass. Also, we were considering a low parsons type table. It is a very tricky space. We welcome all comments to help us.
June 18, 2014 at 5:08AM   
This is a rather 'nice' room. Consider adding another accent color.
June 18, 2014 at 5:14AM      Thanked by treecymark
West Elm.
June 18, 2014 at 3:06PM        Thanked by treecymark
treecymark
I love your idea, however, we are trying to go a bit more contemporary. Any further suggestions.
June 18, 2014 at 3:11PM   
treecymark
Liked the way you dropped in the table and pillows. Very creative!!
June 18, 2014 at 3:11PM   
studio10001
How do you feel about an open shelf?[houzz=
]
June 18, 2014 at 3:19PM      Thanked by treecymark
Shirin M
I would definitely go with a square table. The one in the picture is nice, but I would probably go with a darker wood. For the pillows, I suggest you make your own, so that you can play a bit. Just go to JoAnn or any fabric store and pick the fabric you think would work and make pillows! :)
June 18, 2014 at 3:23PM      Thanked by treecymark
On the shelves, try grouping the objects more and leaving a bit more negative space. I switched the books and the brown striped bowl; the books looked too static squished in that space over the TV.
June 18, 2014 at 3:34PM        Thanked by treecymark
More contemporary means something like the Noguchi table. I definitely would not do square. You have too many squares already.
June 18, 2014 at 3:41PM     
Thank you for hanging your art at the proper height. Thank you for not forgetting the art in the first place.
June 18, 2014 at 3:46PM     
asquithoatley
Totally agree with groveraxle- no square blocky coffee table.
June 18, 2014 at 3:47PM     
treecymark
We love all of the comments, suggestions etc. Please keep the feedback coming. We love the Noguchi table, however, wouldn't that create too much glass with the glass end tables?? We also do not want to go higher than 15", since the sofa height from the floor is 18". One more wrinkle, the left side of the sofa are power recliners, that is why we thought the table should be on concealed casters. This room is turning into a decorator's nightmare.
June 18, 2014 at 4:01PM     
Carmel Decor
I like the Noguchi table that groveraxle suggested, here are a few ideas for pillows.
Carmel Decor - Pillow Talk 1
Carmel Decor - Pillow Talk 2

Hope this helps,
Susan koch
Interior Designer
June 18, 2014 at 4:01PM     
studio10001
Treecy, what country are you in?
June 18, 2014 at 4:05PM   
treecymark
We live in Hollywood Florida
June 18, 2014 at 4:08PM   
studio10001
Scratch that idea, then:)
I think you might want to look at one of two ideas - the size table that will service best may not be easily available in retail on castors in the right height or style, and castors can also be difficult to maneuver on carpeting, so you may wish to either look at a grouping of smaller tables that can be moved independently, or at a customized order that will fit your exact specs. I'd be inclined toward a non moveable base with sliding or expanding top. Depending on materials, the price could be as reasonable as a retail table.
June 18, 2014 at 4:32PM        Thanked by treecymark
A selection of tables from inmod.com:
June 18, 2014 at 4:33PM     
treecymark
Very different. Thanks for all of your input. You are VERY creative, Groveraxle!!
June 18, 2014 at 4:36PM     
Or get funky with the Pomada ottomans: https://www.patrondesign.com/products/featured/ottomans/

Size: Height: 12.6", Diameter: 12.6"

Weight: 11 lbs

And totally green (as in sustainable).
June 18, 2014 at 4:48PM   
studio10001
With all due respect, I disagree with placing anything on the diagonal. or w parts that stick out. This is a large sectional, and the table should allow guests to to place their drinks on it easily, without trapping or tripping. The longer models in 2 & 4 would at least serve one end of the couch, and you might adjust by switching end tables, so that a larger one sits on the side that the coffee table doesn't serve.
June 18, 2014 at 4:51PM   
treecymark
We are more inclined to look for styles like 2 and 4 above along with the Noguchi, but is that too much glass??
June 18, 2014 at 4:55PM   
studio10001
Well, that is up to you, ultimately. Grover thought it was fine, or wouldn't have suggested it, and I think it lacks interest and would add a different texture. Ask ten different decorators, and you are likely to get ten different answers. Don't poll, follow your gut.
June 18, 2014 at 5:00PM     
studio10001
I don't think #2, at least, is glass?
June 18, 2014 at 5:03PM   
FWIW, studio, the only reason those tables are on the diagonal is because that is the way the images came. My program does not allow me to reorient furniture, so I have to just plunk it in the space. No one ever before has thought I meant to put it diagonally, but in the future I'll make sure it's clear.

As for the Noguchi, I don't think it's too much glass. However, given your height requirements, you might look at the first table, called the Svend, at inmod.com. As I remember, it was quite low and very reasonably priced.
June 18, 2014 at 5:56PM      Thanked by treecymark
studio10001
No worries, Grover; I don't follow you, so am not familiar w your program. Carry on!
June 18, 2014 at 6:12PM      Thanked by treecymark
treecymark
I have another idea for a table. Found this on dot and bo. The tables top two shelves slide out. Also, would probably have this made as the height is too short and need castors (I think). What would be a good color to use?
June 20, 2014 at 3:48AM   
sondramartina
I would add something with the pattern,patterned chair or pillows.
In Grover Photoshop I like the black table ,not necessarily in oval shape.
Vintage Residence
Modern Living Room
J Design Group - Interior Designer Miami - Modern - Contemporary - Ocean Front
June 20, 2014 at 5:29AM      Thanked by treecymark
studio10001
Love it. A medium shade, like a fruitwood stain, would help the eye travel past to your focal point.
June 20, 2014 at 11:07AM      Thanked by treecymark
treecymark, if you post the tables or links to the tables you like here, I'd be happy to put them in your room.
June 22, 2014 at 7:29AM   
treecymark
We will be posting some additional rounds one we just found besides the ones below. Thanks for your help.. Greatly appreciated. So far, the Noguchi is our favorite.
June 22, 2014 at 7:50AM   
treecymark
Here a few more. Thanks again.
June 22, 2014 at 8:10AM   
Furnished Up Fine Furniture and Home Decor
I like the west elm table though we also have some coffee tables you might like.
As for pillows, definitely pull color from the art you have above the sofa.
June 24, 2014 at 6:58AM      Thanked by treecymark
treecymark
Does anybody know who makes a good knock off of the Crate and Barrel Ankara chair, not the one on Overstock by Baxton Studios? Thanks
June 25, 2014 at 6:50AM   
berlinrl
I like the Noguchi table very much in this space. I think the glass works very well to contrast with the volume density of the sectional an the color saturation of the rug. My next choice would be the three tiered round table. I have a rotor coffee table which probably inspired this piece. It is a lot of fun and very artful to arrange the tiers.
July 18, 2014 at 4:12PM   
Need help designing our living room!
This is the first room people see when they walk into...
Need help designing our Living room
We just purchased our home and are in need of some...
Need design help in our new living room
We have decided to forego a formal living room and...
Need design help for our living room!
I'm looking for ideas to change up the corner of our...
Need help designing our living room.
We just moved. Attached pictures are of the space that...
Help! Paint or Stain Kitchen Cupboards
Not sure what to do for long term durability and looks. Should...
Kitchen flooring?
Need help matching oak(gold) wood cabinets. What...