Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
detour54

Losing 36 years of landcape

detour54
9 years ago
Our property fronts a major highway and for 36 years we have done everything to screen our property. A Utility says they have to remove all of it so we will be losing mature sugar maples,oaks and evergreens as well as hostas, viburnums and lilacs. Everything for over 700 feet.
We don't have a clue of how to begin. How do you start over?

Comments (18)

• shars55
    9 years ago
    Your property is beautiful!!!!!!! I'm SO sorry they are forcing you to remove them. I just feel so bad for you. I can't imagine how much a tree removal service would be for all that. We had 1 big tree removed from our rental house, and it was about $500. (and from what I heard, that was really cheap!) Wish I could give you some helpful advice. :(
    detour54 thanked shars55
  • apple_pie_order
    9 years ago
    Are you sure where the easement runs?
    detour54 thanked apple_pie_order
  • detour54
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you. It is a gas line and we are just inside of there easement. We called "call before you dig" but the only requirement they have is to show you where the gas line is.
    It is extremely sad but Utilities win. Always. All of it has to go. So we have to start all over.
  • apple_pie_order
    9 years ago
    Walk the job with a manager before they start to increase mutual understanding and go over safety concerns you may have. I strongly suggest you get the easement boundaries marked permanently by a surveyor.
  • detour54
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I will. Although I know the boundary I want to make sure that in another 10 years they do not come back and say they need to increase the easement. Which has happened. In 20 years I will be dead. I just do not know how to begin to start redesigning our landscaping with very few dollars. As I am sure you know, they have no obligation to pay.
  • apple_pie_order
    9 years ago
    Can you get the smaller plants moved away from the easement? Safely, I mean?
  • Don Camacho
    9 years ago
    I hope you're getting compensated.

Those trees are awesome. Sad to see them go :(
    detour54 thanked Don Camacho
  • detour54
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    We can move the hostas but they were in a shade environment. Everything else is too mature. Unfortunately there is no compensation. I really need advice to begin anew. Such a big project.
    Thanks for all your thoughts. I am sure you understand how difficult this is.
  • Angel 18432
    9 years ago
    So sad to hear of your loss of beautiful trees. Have you been in touch with a tree removal company to see if they can be moved with those huge tree moving machines.
    detour54 thanked Angel 18432
  • heather_11
    9 years ago
    I have nothing to contribute about your dilemma as i know nothing about the laws in the US but i just wanted to say would it be worth getting legal advice? I am so sorry you are in this position
    detour54 thanked heather_11
  • bubbasgma
    9 years ago
    So sorry, detour!

Have you spoken with a lawyer?
    detour54 thanked bubbasgma
  • orchardsgal
    9 years ago
    I think it's worth a consultation with a good real estate attorney who can advise you on your rights and how to get compensated for the very real devaluation of your property this will cause. The utility is not going to just offer this.

Second, take pictures of your property to a local nursery for recommendations of plantings that will grow most quickly for privacy and beauty. The utility should absolutely relocate your fence!

I know this is heart-wrenching, and I am so sorry!
    detour54 thanked orchardsgal
  • shars55
    9 years ago
    I'm not sure detour has any recourse. When you buy a house, they give you a copy of the plot showing all the easements and inform you of the fact hat the utilities may need access to whats under those easements at any time. You plant there at your own risk. We put a wall over ours, but we know that if they wanted to come in and dig there, they can do it and we would have to repair the wall at our expense. Not sure about the laws in detour's state, however.

I see I misread her original post and that the utility will remove the trees, thank goodness. But I don't think the utility is responsible for repairing the fence or replacing trees. I would try to move anything I could before they started digging everything up.
    detour54 thanked shars55
  • apple_pie_order
    9 years ago
    As for landscaping again, consider using trees and shrubs native to the area. A good garden center can help identify fast growing plant species and cultivars. There may also be a non-credit college course nearby on home landscaping.
  • armchairshopper
    9 years ago
    Start with a plat of your property. It should show the easements and depending upon whether the plat has been updated, the location of your home. Since your property fronts a major highway, your first concern will be controlling noise and maintaining privacy. If your local regulations will allow, consider an 8' wooden privacy fence. If the regulations don't allow that, then try for a 6 ft privacy fence. If you can't afford to fence the entire perimeter, then put a shorter segment of fence close to the house to act as a noise screen and to provide security.

The hostas, viburnums and lilacs should be moveable. Most of your trees are too large to move, but I do see a few that are moveable. The most economical way to move them is to hire someone with a backhoe at an hourly rate. Do you have access to a farm tractor, particularly one with a backhoe attachment? If you can afford it, I would suggest buying a used tractor with a backhoe, using it to complete your job, and then selling it. The difference between the purchase and sales price might not be very much, compared to other ways to accomplish this work. Plus, after you've had a backhoe, you are likely to wonder how you ever lived without one. They are very, very useful.

I don't understand the statement "everything for over 700 feet". That's a huge easement. That sounds more like a gas transmission line than a local distribution line.
    detour54 thanked armchairshopper
  • PRO
    Red Berm
    9 years ago
    Do you need a sound barrier? You could do Gabion walls with stone which are interesting to look at or if you want to raise a fiberglass fence there is a company called slimtek that does vinyl fencing that looks like stone. We deal with utilites all the time and they don't allow any trees in easements and often only ground cover up to 18" so I feel your pain. It might be good to get a tree company to remove trees and see if they can refer you to a landscape designer in your area. Instead of turning your attention out now it's time to turn your attention in.
  • bubbasgma
    9 years ago
    Detour. I've been wondering about you. Fill us in. How are things, going?
Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH