Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
overmyheadblog

I am looking for an architect who is familiar with WI & Quonset Huts

I want to build a weekend cabin in the WI Dells area. I have decided that I want to build an s style arched metal building. I am having trouble finding an architect who is comfortable with a quonset hut style building and the idea of keeping costs low. I know how I would like the building to look and have done my own room layouts and such. I could do it on my own but I would love to have the input from a professional who knows what things cost and who can create the best layout for the interior. It would also be extremely help to have blueprints when I go to get bids from contractors. I am totally starting from scratch meaning... I have to have a septic system installed, a well dug, etc.

Thanks,

Nina

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
    9 years ago
    An arch style metal building is unique and most likely more expensive to build because it is not typical construction. This is most likely why the architects that you are talking to are uncomfortable taking on a project with a tight budget using a construction system that most contractors would not be familiar with......

You might also look for a manufacturer of pre fabricated structures for something interesting that might work for you. There are some amazing products out there that are priced well and they will help with the permits, etc.

If you do go with the traditional method of hiring an architect to design and draw up the plans and using a contractor to build it, then you should find an architect who is excited about working with you and someone who is inovative and creative. You might be more likely to find an architect with these characteristics teaching part time at an architecture program in a university. However, this type of project will probably be more expensive then conventional projects.

I have attached some images of modular pre fabricated homes just to inspire you......
    Kalina over-my-head thanked Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
  • Debbie Diot
    9 years ago
    So if you go the route of buying the prefabricated quonset or other metal structure, how do you go about finding someone (contractor or designer) to help you build it out? My dream is to buy a little land in the Austin area but i dont know where to start! And i have a limited budget! Do you have to go outside of the city limits for building permits? Any help or encouragement would be greatly appreciated.
  • Kalina over-my-head
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I am in Wisconsin Dells, WI. I am allowed to build my house out of anything I want as long as it is over 500 sq ft. I talk to the building inspector often to make sure that I am following the building codes in terms of lighting, insulation, ventilation, etc. Finding an architect to help with the design is the hardest part. I hired one to do the interior layout but after paying him $2,800 I still don't have the detailed design and he wants an additional $10,000 to finish the job!! I guess he didn't hear me say that I was on a budget. Since I bought undeveloped land a lot of money is going toward the septic system, well, driveway and excavation. All things that I didn't really consider when I thought of building a cabin in the woods. I would have been happy with an outhouse but those aren't allowed anymore.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    9 years ago
    This is from a company called American Steel span I would check them out.
  • gsteffen7810
    5 years ago

Try SteelMasters if you haven't already...