need help with new living room, family room, and/or kitchen workspace!
Melissa A
We are in the process of buying a house and plan to refinish the floors in the kitchen (we are thinking slate?) and living room/dining room (bamboo?) but will probably leave the carpet in the basement family room. But the rooms are smaller and more narrow than I had thought - no dimensions yet, but I am looking for help with furniture and paint ideas! Photos would be most helpful since I am a very visual person - THANKS FOR ALL INPUT!!!
Melissa A
This is not our furniture, nor our window treatments, etc - we have yet to move in. We will paint before moving in, but probably not refinish the floors until this fall. We also plan to remove the aluminum backsplash, redo the cabinets (new fronts?). Thanks!
0 Likes   June 19, 2014 at 7:44AM
Melissa A
I would really like to delete this post, can anyone tell me how to do this???
0 Likes   July 8, 2014 at 4:51PM
The best you can do is ignore it and over time it will drop further and further down in the dilemmas and more or less go away.
0 Likes   Thanked by Melissa A    July 8, 2014 at 5:22PM
Melissa A
Thanks decoenthusiast - I just wanted to delete this because no one responded! I guess maybe this space just needs too much help? :)
0 Likes   July 8, 2014 at 5:25PM
I thought you had a double thread going and wanted to delete one of them. House is small but nice. It will be better to keep flooring consistent throughout to maintain visual flow in such a small space. Hardwood is not out of the question for kitchens. Paint is usually selected last, after fabrics, since it can be custom blended to work with them and fabrics can't be adjusted. I know you think it will be smart to paint while all the furniture is out of the space, but you need to have the colors of furnishings in hand when you choose paint. Where will you watch TV - upstairs, down or both? Hang above, or set TV on, a credenza that is 25% wider than your set (not on a TV stand.) Did the living room feel too crowded with the former owner's two sofas in it? They looked rather large and overstuffed. Look for smaller scale seating as you shop. A sofa and two chairs makes for easy arranging for the upstairs. Downstairs you can place an apt/loft sized sectional on the long wall and TV on the short wall. Add a single colorful accent chair. Then put a family game table by the windows. Basement lighting looks good, but I'd replace the light in the dining area upstairs. You might want to spend the money now to move it away from the doors to a more centered location. I don't think you'll be able to center a table under it and have room between the table and doors.
Wicker Park Loft
Davenport Sectional by Gus Modern @ Direct Furniture
1 Like   July 9, 2014 at 6:10AM
marci4
I strongly recommend that you get the floors done before you move in. No furniture to move and you don't have to move out for a day or two because you can't walk on the floors.
1 Like   Thanked by Melissa A    July 9, 2014 at 7:04AM
Decorilla | Design a Room Online
Hello Melissa,

What a lovely home you have! I would love to help you design and remodel your lovely home :) I would just need a little more information and then I could give you some visual options (from your pictures) of what the finishing touches would look like in your home. This would be a fun project! Feel free to email me at aga@decorilla.com.
1 Like   Thanked by Melissa A    July 9, 2014 at 7:09AM
Melissa A
Thank you so much for your thoughts and ideas, decoenthusiaste! Your feedback is incredibly helpful. Yes, all of the previous owner's furniture felt much too large for the space. As for the "dining area" in the kitchen (with the bad lighting), we are thinking of building an island of sorts, with a tea shelf on that far wall (that is now two toned with the faux wainscoting). We would like some storage and bar seating without the redundancy of an eat in kitchen table. What do you think? We are looking at lighting options and are thinking that track lighting in that space where that drop lighting is might be nice. How do you feel about track lighting?
We are thinking that we may end up having a tv in both the upstairs and downstairs family rooms (because there will be absolutely no tvs in any of the bedrooms!) My husband likes tvs to be large and low, so we will have some kind of low credenza or something in each space. The 25% wider rule is interesting - is that specific to small spaces like these? Would larger work ok as well? I definitely don't like the tv cart look! :) And I like the idea of a game table along the back wall in the basement; another idea is to have a treadmill and an elliptical.
As for flooring, we are looking at bamboo with a low VOC, but the kind with a high "hardness" rating gets to be pretty expensive - do you have any experience with bamboo?
0 Likes   July 9, 2014 at 12:04PM
Melissa A
marci4 - great point about not having to stay off the flooring once we have moved in! Do you know anything about installing bamboo flooring? Is it something that we should leave to professional installers? Having it installed almost doubles the price, so we hope to install it with the help of my brother-in-law. After having their current home built, they refinished the basement and put the wood laminate flooring in and did a great job. I wonder if some laminate flooring is designed to be easier to install, though.
0 Likes   July 9, 2014 at 12:07PM
Melissa A
Decorilla | Design a Room Online - thank you for your kind words!! Unfortunately, we have to save our budget for purchasing furniture and flooring, so we can't hire professionals this time around, as much as I would love to! My husband is a resident physician, and I am finishing nursing school, so we don't have a large budget to work with. But I appreciate your kind words and your interest!
0 Likes   July 9, 2014 at 12:10PM
Need Help with a New Kitchen and/or Laundry Room
Actually I alrady updated my Kitchen so I am entering...
doreen2164
can you show any other styles of credenzas for family and/or living room spaces?
I will be mounting a flat tv screen on the wall and...
familyroomremodel
I would like to update Laundry Room and/or my Kitchen
Single and short on money so winning would be a blessing...
itsjust4u
Size of kitchen and/or dining room
What are the dimensions of the kitchen and separate...
Bobby_Jo Lutner
help and/or advice on kitchen
Getting ready to order new kitchen cabinets, been saving...
1kat
Paint for wood trim
We are closing on a house next month and NEED to paint...
rlbistany
to give light into a bedroom!!!
its a rectangular bedroom, but the window are not directly...
lulublue82
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
zazfuzzroc
Would it be a shame to paint my old piano?
The 1st picture is my old piano in my living room....
benani1
Every house deserves a name
Does your house have one? Would you like it to? Please...
stryker