Half wall be gone.
whaleeyex2
This wall, a half wall, should go, no doubt. Once I start, it opens up the kitchen area to the dining and living room.

#1 issue). There is double return vent in the wall that will have to go somewhere... (cost increases?)

Benefits-taking down this 1/2 wall will provide more light and views, start a much needed update to the workspace in the kitchen as well and create much more flow in the home. (The brick fireplace is a great feature I want to preserve and not paint.). How much can I do for $30-$50K?

I'd like to take up the wall to wall and put in wood floors in the living, dining and kitchen.

We have great custom built cabinetry and it's dark wood. Pictured (3rd photo of living room) is a custom cabinet in the living area that matches the kitchen cabinetry. Our two bathrooms have built in vanities with matching designed cabinets. The wood runs throughout the home in bookcases and shelving as well. So it runs throughout the home. It looks arts and crafts like and I do like it. It is a bit dark and masculine overall.

How much of the cabinetry should be preserved and repurposed? Cost being the factor. I don't want to go to money saving, say IKEA and I think I can add features to brighten the spaces up.

Will I devalue the home by taking out these original 1980's (when the home was built) custom built features?

No kitchen photos...will upload in July '14.
mfwolfe
There also seems to be some electrical wires in the wall. I like it, and think it could look about a hundred per cent better without the plate rack and plates. Also the console isn't very attractive. But if it must go, it must go. Relocating vents and electrical is the big expense. I cannot predict how big. Looks like the rest of the pics didn't load.
June 19, 2014 at 7:38am   
whaleeyex2
Some wiring for outlets, a light, and microwave/oven in the kitchen side of this wall.

Unless you see the other photos I think it will not make sense.
The console will be moved, of course.

The plate rack was a quick add on to simpley add color to an otherwise beige home. It too will be relocated.

Your talking maybe $2-3 K for the wiring & vent, would you say?
June 19, 2014 at 8:14am   
whaleeyex2
Not sure what you liked...the wall or the idea to take it down?

It's an L shaped wall. It is going.
June 19, 2014 at 8:16am   
whaleeye, you haven't shown us enough to make a judgment. You've shown us the wall, but we see nothing on either side of it. It does, however, look like it doesn't belong. A sore thumb, if you will.

From the bit I can see, the house looks like it has a lot of beautiful features that should be preserved. Give us more photos and we can suggest what should stay, what should go, and help you prioritize within your budget.
June 19, 2014 at 8:28am     
BTW, to upload more photos, so it here under a comment on this thread. Use the "Attach images" button right below the comment field.
June 19, 2014 at 8:29am     
whaleeyex2
Okay, thank you, everyone. I'll get more photos. And come back for ideas. Thanks again!
June 19, 2014 at 8:36am   
Ideas for safety to protect kids from open 2nd story loft...
Hi! Our den/playroom is on the 2nd floor and has a...
Fix my fireplace
Hi! I would love some help on redesigning my fireplace....
Need help with outdoor siding colours
Hello, We are looking to redo the siding on the house...
I need help deciding where to center an art piece on a wall?
My client has a wall with a towel bar and a light switch...
A trend that should end
Are there any interior design trends at the moment...