POLL: Do you sleep with your windows open or closed?
June 19, 2014 in Polls
Everyone has their own specific recipe for a great night's sleep. Are you someone that likes to sleep with their windows open or closed?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments! (photos encouraged)
Open
Closed
Glynis Williams
Not in the winter but wide open in the summer
15 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 19, 2014 at 12:22PM
Just a small gap in the summer unfortunately in Canada :(
5 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 19, 2014 at 12:33PM
nansdrew
We've got seasonal allergies, so we, unfortunately, keep them close. Maybe if we get over the allergies...
10 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 19, 2014 at 12:37PM
HI -- Mostly in the warmer seasons my windows have to be open . And sometimes when we are having a Chinook in the winter ,I will take the advantage to open the windows a little to air out the house . I love it when the air is cool coming into the bedroom and I'm snuggled into my warm bed and the air smells so fresh . Best sleep that way .
14 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 19, 2014 at 12:52PM
p4p83
Definitely open...in the summer...in Canada. Why not enjoy the good weather when you can! I've even opened them a little in the winter, if it's not below freezing.
13 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 19, 2014 at 1:13PM
Closet Experts
Living next to a 6 lane interstate creates a ton of road noise. Price we pay for a lot of conveniences, including easy access to major roads.
3 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 19, 2014 at 2:06PM
karelina
Love the fresh country air!
2 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 19, 2014 at 2:28PM
cabingirl13
Love the fresh summer air but have a hubby that can't stand the windows open....sometimes I sneak them open and he doesn't catch on- haha! I am always hot so I would even have them cracked open in the winter if I could get way with it.
1 Like   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 19, 2014 at 2:51PM
glschisler
Closed due to allergies :(
6 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 19, 2014 at 2:54PM
shelleynella
I would love to sleep with my windows wide open but am petrified of waking to a knife-wielding maniac at the foot of my bed!
43 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 19, 2014 at 3:01PM
Monique Lucero
In the winter they're completely closed. Once it gets warmer, the windows are open but the screen is still closed so we get air but the cats can't get out.
1 Like   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 19, 2014 at 4:08PM
melwishes
Closed - only because we have to drown out the noise of passing traffic.
1 Like   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 19, 2014 at 10:32PM
Sigrid
Closed in the city --- there's nothing like 2 am drag races on the bridge. Open in the suburbs, except when it's foggy. I can sleep with the bell buoys, but not the fog horn.
1 Like   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 19, 2014 at 10:56PM
Jessica
Single female living alone. Keep them closed so I won't tempt any idiot to test my ability to enforce the castle doctrine.
18 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 19, 2014 at 11:41PM
dreacorator
Windows that need replacing+ bugs= closed
1 Like   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 20, 2014 at 12:03AM
Curt D'Onofrio
In winter time: Some days are warm in front of house where we get lots of Sun. When the temp reaches 55 degrees or so, we open windows and even the doors, to get fresh air. In the true heat of summer we sometimes have to close windows and run the AC. The down side to this is we don't hear birds chirping in the morning
1 Like   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 20, 2014 at 12:48AM
wickedxx
I keep them closed.
It's not safe to have them open where I live.
5 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 20, 2014 at 1:30AM
thedarlingsbecca
A/C on during Chicago Metro hot summers; mostly closed spring and fall (allergies); cracked open during winter. Warm quilts and nose peeking out to breathe the cold air!
2 Likes   Thanked by Emily Hurley    June 20, 2014 at 12:09PM
Snaggy
Summer open ...Winter shut
5 Likes   June 20, 2014 at 12:51PM
printesa
I'm too scared to sleep with the windows open. During the day, they stay open (when it's not too hot), but at night, closed
7 Likes   June 20, 2014 at 1:06PM
J Design Group - Interior Designers Miami - Modern
We are in Miami, Florida so we need to have all windows closed at all times.

Thanks,
J Design Group, Miami Interior Designers - Coral Gables - Pinecrest - Williams Island - Miami - Sunny Isles - Modern Interior Design Firm in Miami, Florida - Ocean Front Contemporary Decorator firm - http://www.JDesignGroup.com
2 Likes   June 20, 2014 at 1:48PM
Oni Ray
Even though I'd love to keep my windows open during the breezy summer nights, it's unfortunately not feasible on my ground floor bedroom for obvious security reasons :-(
3 Likes   June 20, 2014 at 6:20PM
Southern Arizona = closed tight, with the possible exceptions of December and January. (Used to be October through March.)
0 Likes   June 20, 2014 at 7:42PM
PPF.
Arizona in the mountains -- open all summer. Low tonight (June 20th) 54.
0 Likes   June 20, 2014 at 8:03PM
abbyjean
LOVE having the windows open as much as possible, starting in about May and all the way to the end of September. I love the fresh air and outdoor noises all times of the day.
0 Likes   June 20, 2014 at 8:14PM
Ann Dunlop
Open all year!
2 Likes   June 20, 2014 at 9:51PM
beeflady
We just moved from noisy Vancouver where we had to have the windows closed because of the noise....to extremely quiet Victoria (where it's lights out by 10 PM) so for the first time in my adult life, I sleep with the window open pretty much all year round - with screens of course - still very buggy here. I love it, one of the benefits of a living in a small town (and I also have a large German Shepherd dog so I don't have to worry about intruders).
6 Likes   June 20, 2014 at 10:07PM
chookchook2
Depends on time of the year.
2 Likes   June 20, 2014 at 10:20PM
gardenarian
I much prefer my windows open, but the airplane noise where I live makes that impossible. We have to keep the windows closed and use very heavy curtains to help block the noise....Maybe I should move to Victoria like beeflady!
1 Like   June 21, 2014 at 2:05PM
momvo
I think it would be nice but we are in "Georgia Y'all" .... nuff said LOL
6 Likes   June 21, 2014 at 2:11PM
thebighouse169
Open winter and summer unless AC needed. House 1 bedroom windows open overnight. Quite safe area. House 2 bedroom windows open and alarm for safety in the rest of the house. Actually house 2 in a safe area as well, but alarms are the norm in the neighborhood.
In our previous Cold climate house, bedroom window opened at least a crack year round. Yummy down comforter takes care of the rest.
If I lived alone I would rethink the window issue.
0 Likes   June 21, 2014 at 3:28PM
one open one closed
:))
1 Like   June 21, 2014 at 6:46PM
condomary
I don't need to worry about security or much noise. Windows open if it isn't raining and temp is between 10 and 23*C.
0 Likes   June 21, 2014 at 8:57PM
weirdwood1
Open all year round. Love to feel the cool breeze when the fog rolls in, or hear the rain when it starts to fall. We are blessed with great weather in the Napa Valley. The one deal breaker is when the north wind blows, then they are shut tight. Thankfully we don't have allergies!
We have a road right behind our backyard fence. We gave up our second story master bedroom for the downstairs guest bedroom. It's cooler and no traffic noise when the early morning commute begins.
0 Likes   June 21, 2014 at 9:01PM
stryker
Too noisy where I live right now, but when I move to my new house next year I'll leave a window open. Unless the bears get curious...
2 Likes   June 21, 2014 at 9:08PM
Oni Ray
@ jeanstryker - I'd rather have curious bears than curious humans any given day LOL! The later species is more dangerous by an order of magnitude. :-P
3 Likes   June 21, 2014 at 9:35PM
beachhair
I live by the sea and have them open to varying degrees all year round...when it's windy there may be small sand dunes but I love fresh air so I can live with that :)
4 Likes   June 22, 2014 at 1:16AM
momof5x
On cool afternoons I leave some windows open for fresh air to circulate through the house, in the evenings they are closed as A/Cs are open.
0 Likes   June 22, 2014 at 1:53AM
Linus Reimann-Kaißer
It's too loud in the city to keep them open :( And you can't leave the back doors open because of the raccoons in Kassel.
0 Likes   June 22, 2014 at 2:12AM
Susan Lindt
We'd be burgled and killed if tried to sleep with our windows open. Gotta love US cities.
3 Likes   June 22, 2014 at 2:54AM
junipergirl
Now that my dog is elderly it is a case of leaving the window open a tad, no matter the season. She is my shadow and refuses to sleep anywhere else but on the floor at the foot of my bed. Gorgeous old thing but LAWDY, she stinks!
2 Likes   June 22, 2014 at 3:03AM
mjharp
Every single night we live in Southern California
3 Likes   June 22, 2014 at 3:12AM
Lloyd
Open if its not to cold
1 Like   June 22, 2014 at 3:58AM
jayw
Living near New Symrna Beach Florida but out in the country we keep windows open all year except for the summer months when its too hot & muggy.
0 Likes   June 22, 2014 at 3:59AM
sue home
OPEN, all seasons even in Canada , love the fresh air, it helps us sleep , cool on our faces
2 Likes   June 22, 2014 at 5:32AM
Gina Decorates
Always closed when we sleep, all of us have allergies but mostly the humidity is 100% in the summer early mornings and winter too cold. Also, lot of road noise. We do open in the morning when we wake if it is around 50-77 degrees in the spring and fall but rarely summer and winter. Yes lloydc16, It does get very humid in the St Louis Metro, I run early 5 am and check weather all the time and it is 100% in the early morning during the summer, Typically drops a tad obviously as the sun dries stuff up.
1 Like   June 22, 2014 at 6:11AM
Lloyd
How can the humidity be 100%? That's sleeping under water!
0 Likes   June 22, 2014 at 6:25AM
vanmarterlynn
We live in Houston so it's not very often we get to have them open.
0 Likes   June 22, 2014 at 6:27AM
ddelora
Closed...with the home security system turned on.
2 Likes   June 22, 2014 at 7:18AM
kamosun
I sleep with my windows open all year round. Love the fresh air. When it is really cold just pile on more covers.
1 Like   June 22, 2014 at 8:01AM
huttonxs3
I love sleeping with open windows and did so all the time in GA but living in FL you do not do that.
1 Like   June 22, 2014 at 8:06AM
wysattazahn
I would say open in the winter, If your bedroom is on the second floor of your home, but if not closed!!
0 Likes   June 22, 2014 at 8:08AM
dawnrr
closed, coastal sea fog damages finishes and electronics. also bc of allergies.
0 Likes   June 22, 2014 at 8:29AM
ladymojo
always open summer or winter, no matter how cold in Canada. Won't stay in a hotel room with non opening windows, having compiled a list over the years. We have screens for bugs.
1 Like   June 22, 2014 at 8:40AM
nala2k4
I've read somewhere that your body temp has to drop before you fall into REM sleep, which is supposed to be the most beneficial. I sleep with windows open if the night temps are in the 50's or 60's in Wisconsin. Our summers can be humid and sticky and that doesn't make for peaceful slumber. Windows open is like hanging your sheets on a line to dry. The smell is lovely.
3 Likes   June 22, 2014 at 8:53AM
Sandy Lehmann
Love to sleep with the windows open but recently I heard one of my feline friends growling at something outside and looked out to see a little masked "bandit" staring in at me just on the other side of the screen!
3 Likes   June 22, 2014 at 9:04AM
nala2k4
Nothing like waking to a cat defending it's territory. Happen to me just the other night. I never did find out what was on the other side of the screen.
0 Likes   June 22, 2014 at 9:10AM
diyer59
Nope, not an open window sleeper, with good reasons: pollution sent into the atmosphere during the heat of the day, comes down at night, a wildfire can start day or night, pollen is highest early (sunrise), noise and concern someone will see an open opportunity in an open window.
1 Like   June 22, 2014 at 9:16AM
drfontes1950
open!
1 Like   June 22, 2014 at 9:32AM
drfontes1950
open! I live in country.... fresh air...hear birds.. cattle and horses don't like coyote but have them. ....
1 Like   June 22, 2014 at 9:34AM
Freya's Home of Vintage Style
Summer as Winter with open window. I live in a moderat clima so no roblems with very cold air. The air here comes from the Northsea only one mile away.
2 Likes   June 22, 2014 at 9:47AM
jrward2
My dream is to have a second floor screened in porch and to sleep there all the time.
In the mean time, yes I do sleep with the window ajar.
4 Likes   June 22, 2014 at 10:05AM
Mark Bischak, Architect
I use to have them open until the bears started coming around.
0 Likes   June 22, 2014 at 10:07AM
dkvhaus
Closed !! "The NIGHTSTALKER"
Thanks to the Southern California serial killer, my windows will always be closed. In the late 80's this guy would gain access to his victims by climbing through an open window at night. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Ramirez
6 Likes   June 22, 2014 at 10:08AM
piggyartzy
Live on southern Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada so climate is similar to Seattle. Our windows are open a couple of inches, with the lock on and also a wooden bar in track to ensure security. Fresh air is awesome all year round!!
4 Likes   June 22, 2014 at 10:28AM
avonmommy
Closed because of all the bugs and pesticide spraying that happens late at night. Oh the joys of living in the middle of crop fields.
0 Likes   June 22, 2014 at 10:36AM
soozmacrae
I have the windows open all year round. Not so wide in the winter though, lol
2 Likes   June 22, 2014 at 10:52AM
kazetem
Always open, even when it's freezing outside.
3 Likes   June 22, 2014 at 10:58AM
ciao2468
Always open, we live in Southern California.
2 Likes   June 22, 2014 at 11:42AM
Ralph Jones Home Plans, LLC
Are you kidding? In the south with 90 degrees temp and 85% - 90% humidity, you wouldn't sleep a wink! Out west where the temp drops to 70 degrees with 5% - 10% humidity I would sleep with the doors open all the time!
2 Likes   June 22, 2014 at 11:47AM
nannak
Wide open 12 months. Love going to sleep and waking to the sounds and smells of the world outside.
3 Likes   June 22, 2014 at 11:58AM
roannet
My house is single storied, so not just closed, but locked!
2 Likes   June 22, 2014 at 11:59AM
DSC DesignWorks
Partially open, I do not want to risk losing one of my cats.
1 Like   June 22, 2014 at 12:04PM
Comwest Construction
Always open
2 Likes   June 22, 2014 at 12:23PM
kennebunk12
almost always open in the summer I love the country air and the sounds of peepers
4 Likes   June 22, 2014 at 1:10PM
kennebunk12
I do leave a screen on all my windows to keep out the bugs
1 Like   June 22, 2014 at 1:11PM
luckylyn5
Closed due to husband's allergies. Used to open bedroom windows on hot summer nights despite the allergies (otherwise no sleep), but then we got a freestanding air con unit for the bedroom.

We do keep the sliding doors and windows in the rest of the house open all summer to cool off the house (no central air).
1 Like   June 22, 2014 at 1:24PM
linda907
Amen, dkvhaus! I had friends, colleagues, and students living in 5 of the towns the Nightstalker struck--one who lived down the street from one of his murders and who saw someone fitting his description outside her apartment window that same night. Lesson learned! Even if it weren't for my allergies and the adjacent freeway with it's attendant grime and noise, I'd sleep with all windows, even upstairs, closed and locked. So sad, when here in SoCal we have perfect temps for open windows almost year-round. Oh, to be wealthy and live in a gated compound with guard dogs on the beach, with relative safety and fresh air!
2 Likes   June 22, 2014 at 2:09PM
163hrd
Open all year except when below freezing. Live in London without fear.
0 Likes   June 22, 2014 at 3:07PM
libri
Windows closed in Louisiana in summer! Hot and humid and AC on all the time!
0 Likes   June 22, 2014 at 5:26PM
Anne
Open year round. My husband insists he can't breathe otherwise.
2 Likes   June 22, 2014 at 5:42PM
D W
Go Lions Go !!
1 Like   June 22, 2014 at 5:52PM
tw123456
Can never sleep with windows open, hubby likes controlled climate ;0(. Also never ride cars with windows open, yep, you guessed it, controlled climate again! ;0(
0 Likes   June 22, 2014 at 5:56PM
licksch
Grew up in Maine...even in winter, my mother would have us slide open the wooden "door" that covered the three holes for air in the frame of the old storm windows on the farmhouse.

Result? I have trouble sleeping with windows shut...except in sub zero weather with wind from the north.
0 Likes   June 22, 2014 at 6:08PM
clovergirl999
I keep my windows closed while I sleep. I don't want any bugs or rats sleeping with me.
1 Like   June 22, 2014 at 6:34PM
shars55
Or worse than those, clovergirl, ax murderers! I have my house locked up tight at night. We've never had any issues here, but I'm not taking any chances.
2 Likes   June 22, 2014 at 6:36PM
dirtgirl64
Open unless neighbor dogs bark then closed fast lol
1 Like   June 22, 2014 at 6:51PM
Brandon Roberie
Way too hot/humid in southwest louisiana and the bugs would eat you alive. Windows and doors closed at all times except some instances we open them in the early parts of winter.
0 Likes   June 22, 2014 at 7:38PM
yandawara
Montreal = minus 1000 degrees in winter, so forget it. As for summer, my bedroom window is actually a patio door, so it stays closed for security reasons (my tied-up body would be too easy to carry through a door!). Seriously, I could never sleep with it open, I would be too nervous. Also, any small or big noise wakes me up immediately. I even have superhearing powers through orange ear plugs!
Btw, my best friend actually had a guy try to get in her bedroom through the window while she was sleeping!!!! But he was so drunk, she had the time to get up, wrap herself in her bedsheet and push him out, then close the window... I guess adrenaline helped! Be careful people!
3 Likes   June 22, 2014 at 7:51PM
brunexgeek
Always open a couple of inches. I'm from Brazil and the region where I live have a "tropical" winter :)
0 Likes   June 22, 2014 at 8:02PM
1957diane
Open, pretty much all year.
0 Likes   June 22, 2014 at 8:11PM
pritnear
Open all year long in beautiful Seattle...
0 Likes   June 22, 2014 at 9:56PM
Snow Flower
For air ventilation. It will not feel stuffy in the room when sleeping at night without switching on air-con
0 Likes   June 22, 2014 at 10:37PM
rawketgrl
Open almost every day, all year long in the foothills of the beautiful Cascade Range. Chirping birds make my morning sweet, and owls are my evening song. An occasional wind storm might have me shutting them until the calm. Then pop those babies back open and let in the freshly rain scrubbed mountain air.
2 Likes   June 22, 2014 at 10:41PM
wang wang
open
0 Likes   June 22, 2014 at 10:48PM
makaloco
Wide open summer and winter. I live in Mexico where it rarely gets below 40ºF, but even when I lived in Massachusetts, I kept the one near my bed cracked open in winter. I love cool air on my face when I'm sleeping and don't care how cold the room gets as long as I have plenty of covers!
1 Like   June 22, 2014 at 10:57PM
msa2
We live in Africa and have weather that allows us to enjoy the night air all through the year (warm to chilly but never much below 50F). We also sleep with a fan for breeze and noise to block out barking dogs, roosters and the like. However, we have slept upstairs for the last 30 years, and are now building a home with the master bedroom downstairs, so open windows might be kept shut as a security measure - will have to wait and see how vulnerable we feel to thievery
1 Like   June 22, 2014 at 11:58PM
designideas4me
Emily, why do you ask these questions? Please tell us.
0 Likes   June 23, 2014 at 12:46AM
kashflat
I sleep with my windows open since I live on the coast. My master bedroom and it's terrace has a view of the ocean. The sea gulls are my alarm and the warmth of the sun wakes me as I feel the cool breeze that blows the white sheer drapes.
Then I wake up, for real this time; in my one bedroom apartment in the city, with my windows shut tight to keep out noise and light.
Dreams are so nice. :)
5 Likes   June 23, 2014 at 1:10AM
lesley449
Wide open, 365 days a year, however snug as a bug under a goose down duvet! Love fresh air on my face, you wake up much more refreshed than in a 'no air' bedroom, air con horrid too, not the same! Stops headaches and that muzzy feeling when you wake up! Oh and I live in a village called Wimborne, Dorset, UK : ))
4 Likes   June 23, 2014 at 3:00AM
betsywk
Our windows are closed year round due to allergies, though we open them in the daytime when it's not too hot. Also, since being awakened by coyotes killing (here in the suburbs), I have no desire to hear that again--too disturbed to go back to sleep. (Yes, I know it's nature, but I'd prefer not to hear it.) My grandmother, who lived in Chicagoland until age 101 when she moved to Wisconsin, always opened her windows in the morning to air out the house, especially in the winter.
0 Likes   June 23, 2014 at 6:21AM
michicat333
I like open windows when cool or a good breeze, however in a community around here there has been a cat burglar. He got in through an open second floor window!
0 Likes   June 23, 2014 at 6:31AM
vmmcconnell
Open winter and summer, fan on over the bed, curtains fully open. House alarms programmed so sliders remain open a few inches-it is heaven! P.S. The yard is gated, motion sensor lights by every slider so I get to see/enjoy the sneaky little wildlife at night. The two-legged variety will be in for a big surprise if they try to open or close a slider.
1 Like   June 23, 2014 at 6:59AM
lindanorby
I am adding a stacked washer/dryer to a condo. I would like to know what other's experiences are with ventless dryers such as one made by LG. Thanks!
0 Likes   June 23, 2014 at 7:06AM
Sharon
I can hardly believe what an eye-opener this article was and it made me forever grateful for where we live now! Have lived in South Africa so understand the two-legged variety of the very dangerous kind and been victim (but the lucky kind i.e I lived and was unhurt on all occasions) to it! Lived in Dubai for nine years so Summer heat- windows closed due to non-stop air conditioning, Winter meant we could fling them open wide. Lived in Bali and so understand humidity and heat and I preferred the fan going rather than the air-con. at night, windows wide open, mosquito screens tight shut and now Canada where no matter what the weather, the windows are open...wide in summer and as wide as the weather will allow in Winter. I love the night sounds, the scent of freshness and the coolth of the breeze. Discovered that Elk smell just like horses because of the privilege of sleeping with the windows open and I wouldn't miss the call of the Barred Owl for anything, plus my morning alarm is a combination of joyful American Robin and Bald Eagle. Who could possibly ask for more! Yes, we are very, very lucky and this article gave me just another reason to be very grateful!!! :)
7 Likes   June 23, 2014 at 7:54AM
Ashton Ulrich
Definitely sleep with the windows open! It is great to hear the crickets and let the cool breeze in!
2 Likes   June 23, 2014 at 8:25AM
beverlynn
I prefer to sleep with them open (bedrooms are upstairs), however, spring allergies were so bad here in NC that I woke up a few of mornings looking like I had been in a fight. After the third morning of looking that way, I conceded and turned on the air. A few days later I dusted and the dust rags were covered in pollen!!
0 Likes   June 23, 2014 at 10:18AM
A Hall
Open during the day when we're home, closed at night. We have a single-story house. I don't like the idea of making an entry easy for somebody up to no good. If my bedroom window was located beyond reach from the yard, that'd be another story.
0 Likes   June 23, 2014 at 10:31AM
villachante
Wide open in summer and close them in winter when its -1 degrees...Johannesburg SA
0 Likes   June 23, 2014 at 12:35PM
cambridge101
Never open windows have AC or heat on don't want the dust in side.
1 Like   June 23, 2014 at 5:14PM
SoCal Contractor
I love sustainability. Fortunately I live in a place where the nights are very cool, making it completely unnecessary to use air conditioning. There's nothing better than fresh air.
2 Likes   June 23, 2014 at 5:21PM
quiltist
Open in the summer with a small fan to help draw in the cool night air. Security pretty good with sliding window locks to keep the opening too small for half hearted burglars. The bad guys find a way.
1 Like   June 23, 2014 at 10:05PM
rosebud3
Like others, I'd love to have them open in Spring and Summer, but can't due to allergies.
0 Likes   June 24, 2014 at 6:39AM
Anslie's Interior Decor
Open all year round in Bermuda! Unless it was a particularly rainy day and the tree frog chorus is in full force.
2 Likes   June 24, 2014 at 6:47AM
Mark Beaty
Open with the Whole House Fan ON.
I love the fan!!!
1 Like   June 24, 2014 at 8:12AM
catz1
I am constantly opening and shutting widows, turning central a/c on and off. Love the fresh air, but it gets hot here. Have lived where you couldn't open them at all for all of the above mentioned reasons. Very thankful to be now living where it is safe, non polluted and a little drier. Must have ceiling fans on at all times. It is getting louder everyday as my country home is now in the suburbs due to tremendous growth.
1 Like   June 24, 2014 at 8:44AM
laurieakobor
I love sleeping with the windows open, otherwise I miss the sounds of the wind, the fog horn on Lake Michigan, the birds in the morning. But since I live in Wisconsin, the windows remain closed for most of Winter - especially this year!
3 Likes   June 24, 2014 at 9:57PM
shelleyhmln
In the summer, I keep the windows tightly closed so that the a/c can do it's magic. However, in the winter, I keep them widely open.
I love having a cold room and lots of blankets to keep me comfortable.
I live in the midwest, so the winters are really cold, but I still keep them open all winter long.
1 Like   June 25, 2014 at 8:28AM
skisaras
I'd love to leave mine open but unfortunately, the mosquitoes would love that too.
1 Like   June 25, 2014 at 3:28PM
uniquemonique
If you live in Tampa FL you need to leave them closed year round or be murdered in your bed.
1 Like   June 27, 2014 at 2:01PM
krf9
Open. We have screens, and bedrooms are on the second floor.
0 Likes   June 27, 2014 at 2:04PM
designideas4me
OMG uniquemonique... thank god I didnt move to Florida.
1 Like   June 27, 2014 at 8:58PM
sietie
Open year round in Michigan. Love the fresh air any month of the year. In the winter we have a heavy feather duvet but love the fresh air and cold pillows. In summer, we run the ceiling fan and have the A/C closed off in the bedroom. We would sleep outside if we could!!
1 Like   July 6, 2014 at 11:15AM
bungalowmo
Open in the warm months for sure...with my pedestal fan oscillating on low. zzzzzzzzz
This was the main reason I had to get a 2 storey home. I wouldn't feel so good about sleeping this way on the 1st floor!
0 Likes   July 6, 2014 at 11:23AM
bungalowmo
@ tw123456
"Can never sleep with windows open, hubby likes controlled climate ;0(. Also never ride cars with windows open, yep, you guessed it, controlled climate again! ;0( "

.... But what about what YOU like? It's all about what he wants?

Just sayin'.....
1 Like   July 9, 2014 at 1:19PM
Mark Beaty
That's a good post!

I sleep with the Windows open when I can and NEVER drive a car with the windows open (that's for smokers to open their windows-probably what keeps me from ever opening them is not wanting others to think I smoke.). (Which I don't smoke in case there is ANY confusion!)
0 Likes   July 9, 2014 at 1:32PM
adivra
Always open, even when living in Oslo.
0 Likes   July 9, 2014 at 1:38PM
jayann517
I'm with you Shelleyhmin, that's exactly what I do. I live in the north east, but the winters aren't as cold as they used to be:( .
0 Likes   July 26, 2014 at 10:11PM
jenniewest2002
Depends on the humidity. In Houston it is so hot and humid, that we have to run the ac. when it is cooler, I keep the windows open. Even in the winter with the heat running I have to crack the bedroom window.
0 Likes   July 28, 2014 at 7:16AM
brendaspaeth
Open whenever possible. No too much in the winter when it's -20!:)
0 Likes   July 28, 2014 at 7:35AM
Bernadette Amerasinghe
closed. Dogs go nuts if the windows are open. They hear too much.
0 Likes   July 28, 2014 at 2:31PM
Rachel Smitherman
I love sleeping with the windows open in the early Spring and Autumn.
0 Likes   August 25, 2014 at 11:28AM
angelacatterson
I sleep with the bedroom windows opened all year round. I live in Scotland!
0 Likes   August 25, 2014 at 12:24PM
js72455
In the Summer, no. In the Winter, sometimes...at least for a while.
0 Likes   September 24, 2014 at 8:03PM
lizthefrizz
Would love to be able to do this, but in Houston, there are just too many mosquitoes!
0 Likes   September 26, 2014 at 7:25PM
jginteriors
I live in Canada and keep them open all year round (just a crack in the winter). I LOVE a cold bedroom and a heavy duvet!
2 Likes   September 27, 2014 at 4:47PM
dreamhomechicc
Closed! I left them open once by accident and had to go and sleep in the lounge because of moths and spiders that came in *spineshivers* :/
0 Likes   September 28, 2014 at 1:04PM
jomearaak
Open, I live in Alaska, sleep under down comforters, and I can't sleep unless my bedroom is freezing, I'm wierd.
0 Likes   October 2, 2014 at 9:47PM
wang wang
0 Likes   November 8, 2014 at 12:47AM
wang wang
0 Likes   November 8, 2014 at 12:48AM
wang wang
That's a good post!
0 Likes   November 8, 2014 at 12:49AM
wang wang
That's a good post!
0 Likes   November 8, 2014 at 12:52AM
xinjiangfandian
0 Likes   November 8, 2014 at 12:56AM
Atlas Custom Cabinets Ltd
Usually open in the summer, and closed in the winter. It depends on the noise level as well, and if there are mosquitoes in the summer.
0 Likes   on Tuesday at 11:16AM
POLL: Do you sleep with the blinds open or closed?
This might sound silly, but I love sleeping with my...
Tom Flanagan
How do you open and close that upper window at the end of the room?
I'd like to use upper windows for light and air flow,...
wobblymansion
Poll: How Do You Open Up?
California Closets New England partners with multiple...
California Closets New England
POLL: Do you dunk your biscuit in your tea?
Latest discussion overheard in the Houzz office: to...
Emmeline Westin
My living room / dining room
I need help with my living room / dining room . I think...
tong2000
Best finish for NON-Foodsafe butcher block countertops?
Hi all, I will be making the butcher-block countertops...
aa112358
Small dining room
Hi all I just need suggestion for my dining room ....
banshaker18
Experimenting on pendants in the bedroom!
Here’s a bedroom we are working on. Even when...
Vanguard development LA
Small Kitchen
I have a small kitchen, but I want to make it functional....
wsambo13