Should I paint my stained trim?
gschier
I have (had) a lot of oak trim and cabinets in my 1988 home. I had the cabinets painted and recently added some trim to the fireplace. I didn't know where to begin or end with the trim painting because I have so much of it, including beamed ceilings. Should I cave in and just paint everything? Help!!
I like your beamed ceiling and would leave it stained. It looks like your window trim is also stained. That I would definitely paint white.
What else is stained?
June 19, 2014 at 1:57PM        Thanked by gschier
gschier
The door trim is stained as well as the baseboard and a half wall opposite the sofa. Should I send more pictures?
June 19, 2014 at 2:08PM   
mmilos
Send some more pictures. I'm inclined to say no to painting out white. I think your room looks very rich with the wood.
June 19, 2014 at 2:15PM      Thanked by gschier
Maureen
I think I would paint everything white, except for the beams - if you are tired of the feel of the room. You have a lovely, cozy room by the way.
June 19, 2014 at 2:28PM        Thanked by gschier
While I'd love to see more photos, I think that painting all trim and doors white except for the beams is the way to go.
June 19, 2014 at 3:25PM        Thanked by gschier
Serra Design Inc
Ditto with Carolyn, start with the vertical surfaces, doors, sash, trim, base molding. Paint them first and see how you then feel.
June 19, 2014 at 3:31PM      Thanked by gschier
Debra Fuentes
Paint all trim but the beams. Gives a clean and less busy look.
June 19, 2014 at 3:39PM      Thanked by gschier
gschier
Here are some additional photos. Note that my kitchen is also painted wood with a glaze. The half wall looking into the kitchen from the family room is stained wood too. Should this be painted white as well as all the trim except for the beams? Thanks so much for all your input--huge help.
June 22, 2014 at 7:31AM   
I like the half wall with the stained trim and would leave it stained, for now. When the other trim is painted, then you can decide on it I'll be interested in what others think.
June 22, 2014 at 7:34AM      Thanked by gschier
Debra Fuentes
I agree. Take it one step at a time and then make a decision. You may find the half wall remaining stained wood helps add interest and ties in with the beams. BTW, your home is beautiful :)
June 23, 2014 at 6:06AM      Thanked by gschier
It is a big job, but with that kitchen, I think painting all the trim is essential. Your "coffered" ceiling can stay "as is" but you actually could raise the ceiling visually if it were painted too.

June 23, 2014 at 7:28AM      Thanked by gschier
keestey
The stained ceiling trim was the first thing I noticed in your picture. It makes the ceiling look low. I would paint it the same color as the ceiling. Then reassess the remaining trim.
June 23, 2014 at 7:37AM      Thanked by gschier
Gray & Walter, Ltd.
The stained beams are attractive and add a nautical feeling to the room. For now proceed with painting all the other trim in the room. You can always paint the ceiling trim later if you so desire.
June 23, 2014 at 7:50AM      Thanked by gschier
gschier
In the picture, you can see a half wall that separates the kitchen and the family room. On the kitchen side of the half wall, it is drywalled and painted but on the family room side it is wainscoting that is stained. Should I also paint the wainscoting on the half wall except the handrail and post? That way, everything will be painted except the beams and the handrail and post. Thank you.
June 23, 2014 at 8:22AM   
Yes, I think so.
June 23, 2014 at 7:47PM      Thanked by gschier
WHAT COLOR SHOULD I STAIN OR PAINT THE TRIM? Please help!
See the attached picture. I recently stained my vanity...
Stained Wood Trim - Should I paint?
I have painted wood trim throughout the house. The...
Split level addition design help needed!
We're adding a level on top of our split level -- I...
What colors coordinate with Benjamin Moore's Hale Orange?
I love this color and want to use it in my dining room....
Newly Installed Kitchen Decor Help Needed
After our pooch had to get about $10,000 worth if knee...
White walls, white ceiling, white trim. Help needed ASAP!
We moved in to our new house over a month ago and I...
Need help with furniture placement
I need help again. I have two sofas, one wing chair,...