Landscaping -
mackiebischoff
March 23, 2012 in Photo Questions
Please advise what plants are in this pic?
I have a horrible brick retaining wall that I would like to plant some fun stuff behind - any ideas what to plant back there? HELP!
So not a green thumb but wanna be :)
Basalite Concrete Products
Hi Jenny,
It looks like petunias in the front and the taller red-leafed plant is a coleus. Both are annuals, which means they likely need to be replanted every spring. When you choose plants, you have to consider a lot of things, like what area you live in, what kind of sun the area gets, and what kind of drainage is in place.

Another option would be for you to change your wall! Have you looked at concrete walls? I think you would be amazing at what today's concrete walls look like. They come in beautiful colors and can be easy to put up (depending on how large your area is, some walls can be put up in a weekend)! Then you could plant some flowers that are right for your area/space. etc, and if you chose perennials, you could wait for them to grow in without having something unsightly showing while you wait. And they would grow in every year (plant once, not annually).

Good luck with your project!
Terrie
March 23, 2012 at 4:24PM     
Fullmer's Landscaping, Inc
The Large Leafy plants with the Red veining are Caladiums. The pink in the rear is a Begonia. The front purplish-pink is a Petunia, the orange I think is an annual called Pentas, and the yellow in the foreground is Lantana. These are all Annuals, as Terrie said, requiring them to be replanted each year. Annuals live to bloom. It's like they know they've only got til frost to perform, so they usually bloom all summer long.
October 11, 2012 at 1:31PM     
Nell Jean
I've never seen yellow or orange Pentas. My guess would be marigolds.
February 4, 2014 at 4:38PM     
Luke Donovan
or Zinnias
February 6, 2014 at 4:13PM   
Kitchen - refrigerator position in kitchen
Hello, Is there a specific format for kitchens that...
1920s Cottage Needs Updating
Hello all, I just purchased an older home with a lot...
POLL: Which is your side of the bed?
People sometimes stake claims to their side of the...
Wrought iron or wooden double door
What type front door would look best on a stone house?...