Kitchen backsplash
fiscomi
I'm looking for some good and unique ideas for a kitchen backsplash. Something that not everyone else has. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated
jesse89t
A smokey glass subway tile 3x6 would look great with your kitchen set up.
June 19, 2014 at 6:33pm      Thanked by fiscomi
Connie Nikiforoff Designs
I think the countertop is quite nice and deserves to be the 'star'. Something simple is a better long-term choice for your backsplash. One of the things that dates a kitchen quicker than anything is a 'unique' backsplash. I agree with jesse89t....a subway tile with grayish/greige undertones will look stunning. Or go with a creamy white subway tiles since it appears that the undertone in your countertop is not a pure white.

Here's something to get you going on ideas. From a blogger/decorator friend of mine. http://www.restylinghomebykellyblog.com/
June 19, 2014 at 6:46pm        Thanked by fiscomi
Simon Simon
Subway tile :)
June 19, 2014 at 7:02pm        Thanked by fiscomi
beachlily
What about a solid sheet of glass ?
June 19, 2014 at 7:08pm      Thanked by fiscomi
Marilyn Wilkie
I would stay away from white subway and look for a warmer color subway if you go that route. Plug in the word "blacksplash" at the top of the page and get ready for a million ideas. Please share your choice.
June 19, 2014 at 7:15pm      Thanked by fiscomi
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.
Try the glass collection by Stone and Pewter Accents...

June 19, 2014 at 7:24pm        Thanked by fiscomi
Hyde Evans Design
Here's another idea: if there are 12 x 12 tiles in the same stone, have them cut into 2 x 6's. Then lay them out in a running bind pattern with an 1/8th inch grout joint. Then pick a grout color that coordinates nicely but adds just enough contrast to show off the pattern. And, of course run it all the way up to the uppers. That way you've created interest but haven't battled with the counters.
June 19, 2014 at 7:55pm        Thanked by fiscomi
adivra
Unique can get boring quickly. It's your accessories that will bring your personality into the kitchen. Above posters have given you good advice and ideas.
June 19, 2014 at 8:21pm        Thanked by fiscomi
Leif
From a personal lesson in kitchen back splashes, if you have a busy pattern on your counter top then use a less busy color for the back splash. Usages of texture or pattern with a more solid color looks great.
June 19, 2014 at 8:25pm        Thanked by fiscomi
Connie Nikiforoff Designs
Leif, good call! I saw a kitchen where expense was no issue. High end everything...unfortunately they didn't have any help coordinating all the elements and nothing worked together. Busy granite countertops; busy tiled backsplash, wood-toned cabinetry that didn't work with the wood flooring. Even the wall paint color was 'off'. Lots of money spent and it looked like a committee had put it together with everyone getting to choose their favorite element! Ugh! ;-) There were issues with the layout as well. :-(
June 19, 2014 at 8:53pm        Thanked by fiscomi
Leif
adivra is very correct, the usage of accessories is a great way to make any space look new or different. If you get your basic element correct to start with, then you can accessorize for years without any major changes.
June 20, 2014 at 4:26am      Thanked by fiscomi
fiscomi
Thanks for all the info so far. Looks like I'm staying away from "unique" and going with something a little more subtle. What about something like this?

June 20, 2014 at 5:08am     
fiscomi
Or would this be to busy?
June 20, 2014 at 7:36am   
Jason Lepage
My opinion on a fitting backsplash after considering your granite and appliances
June 20, 2014 at 7:41am      Thanked by fiscomi
Connie Nikiforoff Designs
Getting there ;-)
June 20, 2014 at 7:44am      Thanked by fiscomi
Design Your Kitchen and Bath
I like the plank design of it, but maybe it is a little busy for your kitchen because it's has a few different shades/hues in it. A backsplash like this with one or two neutral colors could be used. Glad you saved this kitchen decision last so you can see the colors put together in your kitchen:-)
June 20, 2014 at 7:58am      Thanked by fiscomi
fiscomi
Thanks for the input. After looking at all these pictures I'm starting to get backsplash overload.
June 20, 2014 at 8:56am     
Simon Simon
fiscomi I love the last pic you posted
June 20, 2014 at 9:15am      Thanked by fiscomi
iidfa
Would you be willing to do a travertine-like backsplash? Sorry I can't link. I'm a new member on house so I'm sort of just getting used to it haha!
June 20, 2014 at 9:27am      Thanked by fiscomi
iidfa
*Houzz whoops! Also I found these interesting and unique, so I thought I'd show you them too :D
June 20, 2014 at 9:29am      Thanked by fiscomi
sedj20
Try a coloured glass splash back pick out a colour from a blind or feature wall to follow through if possible
June 20, 2014 at 9:32am      Thanked by fiscomi
Leif
fiscomi I like the tiles that you chose, I would do the lightest tile of those and use only that. If it was laid one on top of the other (where grout lines were together), it would give it a little more modern approach than brick pattern.
June 20, 2014 at 9:38am      Thanked by fiscomi
Leif
this is my shower tile, but the Vallejo Street tile in a single color laid like this would look good, horizontal not vertical.
June 20, 2014 at 9:44am      Thanked by fiscomi
fiscomi
Thanks everyone. Leif, I'm leaning towards using that Walker Zanger Lucca tile that I posted. Do you think I should use the beige or grey? They are both pretty close in lightness. Also, does anyone know how much these tiles cost? Not many Walker Zangers in my area.
June 20, 2014 at 9:51am   
BacksplashIdeas.com
Glass tile is very modern, and with your rich colored cabinets a touch of color would be a beautiful addition. This is the glass Aspect tile in Fresh Sage.
June 20, 2014 at 11:18am   
fiscomi
Well I might be going a different route than that Walker Zanger tile. It's a little more expensive than I would like to spend (roughly $60 a sq ft.) Does anyone know of a less expensive version of this kind of tile?

June 20, 2014 at 12:06pm   
anne dee
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0111311819952.html
see the above for discussion on walker zanger subs etc.
may help
June 20, 2014 at 12:24pm   
Leif
fiscomi, I think if you just start looking for 6x16 tile or 3x8 tiles online, then find a tone that you like. I never go by brand because I typically am budget limited.. haha
June 20, 2014 at 12:57pm   
Sellers Tile Distributors
Hi fiscomi,
Playing devil's advocate, if you want something to stay with the kitchen's contemporary pulls, and stainless appliances, yet still modern in texture, Glazzio Tiles makes some great glass pieces. Could look awesome with the juxtaposition between the clean lines and old world of maybe the VS421 White Tulip and VS419 Fountain Grey (http://www.glazziotiles.com/products/VERSAILLES%20SERIES.aspx) intermixed. The "backsplash overload" is certainly understandable, but you seem to have a pretty sharp vision of what YOU want. Good luck!
June 20, 2014 at 2:21pm      Thanked by fiscomi
fiscomi
Here is another one that I found. I think with some white grout it would stand out just enough. They do have a couple other colors. Sand, taupe, and light grey. What do you guys think.

Sellers Tile Distributors, I tried to click that link but it did not work.
June 20, 2014 at 2:36pm   
Leif
http://www.amestile.com/section.asp?pageid=25643 try this and prices look pretty good
June 20, 2014 at 5:39pm      Thanked by fiscomi
fiscomi
Thanks Leif, I will definitely check out that site. What do you think about the tile that I posted in the above picture? I like the simplicity of it but I also like the texture.
June 25, 2014 at 6:16am     
Leif
I do like the texture of it, but by the time that you grout it, the tile will be real busy.. and you already have busy granite. You can keep the texture and even the gradient color of it. I do suggest that you find something you like in a large tile like the 6x16 or even 3x8, remember that even the grout lines tend to act as an extra accent. I posted my back splash tile as a good example of to busy... If you have any random question feel free to email me. I have just completed my 2nd remodel in 2 yrs... I am not an expert, but I do have some good do's and don'ts from experience and picking peoples brains. lldaddow@gmail.com
June 25, 2014 at 7:07am   
Belle Chaise
Everyone seems to do the subway tile these days. It is becoming very common.
June 25, 2014 at 7:53am   
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
What color for room ?
What color should I paint the room for teenager girl?...
Chair
Hello I have these chairs that my husband purchased...