Need help with rug size and placement for dining room
purplehoneypie
My dining room measures 12' wide by 13.5 ft. long. I am trying to buy an oriental to properly fit this room placed under the dining room table. 7' long is too small, and 8' makes one end chair legs stick off. 9X9 is perfect, but can't find that size. Also, celing is a rust color with white trim. Do I go with a light background oriental, or a dark to match the celing?
A circular area rug could work in this situation. Can't tell if the dinning table is square or rectangular in the photo.
0 Likes   Thanked by purplehoneypie    June 20, 2014 at 5:31AM
Maureen
With a dark ceiling, you may need some lightness in the room to counterbalance the ceiling. There are articles to help with rug selection/size. Hope the following helps. A rug should mimic the shape of the table. Formula for rug size: measure the width and length of your table and add 18-24” to each of the four sides to allow extra room for the chairs. (Be sure to include your table leaf in your calculation.) For most spaces, that means a 5 × 8’ rug is too small and you should invest in a rug that measures somewhere between 6 x9’ and 9 x 12’. Those extra inches are important because they allow guests to slide chairs out from under the table without falling off the edge of the rug. It’s also important to purchase a rug that is not too big – it’s best that your area rug does not trespass into the space where a sideboard or buffet sits, and so there is a visible border of flooring as well.
0 Likes   Thanked by purplehoneypie    June 20, 2014 at 7:59AM
You need a rug that is 4' wider and longer than your table top. In addition, it shouldn't run into any walls or furniture placed on the walls. That allows for chair scoot and sit space. Generally, there should be 36-48" between your table and the side walls. I think you might find one but may have to turn your table the other direction, which I think will look better anyway.
0 Likes   Thanked by purplehoneypie    June 20, 2014 at 8:44AM
I need help with choosing the right size of a rug for my dining room.
The size of my dining table is 2.20x1.10 m (it was...
ximenatemple
Need help with dining room rug size
Hi my dining room is 14 feet by 15 feet, my table is...
jenrnj
Need help for living room/dining room furniture placement
Have only purchased round 50in glass dining table and...
rbs589
need help with picking size/placement of rug
My daughter has a loft bed with built in stairs and...
ericak
Super amateur needing help with area rug placement and size!
My husband and I have a small family room, dimensions...
tadampf
Need help with Back Splash for a Kitchen!
White Cabinets, Butterfly Gold Granite, Soft yellow...
aldaddy77
Hate my new granite!!! This whole process has been a nightmare :(
I'm really trying not to get so worked up about this,...
mhaber22
room
if ur room is too bright wat color palette will u think...
aaliya2122
need help with designing my family room
We just moved into our new home and are starting to...
marymctiernan
computer in the living room
is it OK to place my computer desk to my living area?...
donabellee