Need help with rug size and placement for dining room
purplehoneypie
June 20, 2014 in Design Dilemma
My dining room measures 12' wide by 13.5 ft. long. I am trying to buy an oriental to properly fit this room placed under the dining room table. 7' long is too small, and 8' makes one end chair legs stick off. 9X9 is perfect, but can't find that size. Also, celing is a rust color with white trim. Do I go with a light background oriental, or a dark to match the celing?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Dytecture
A circular area rug could work in this situation. Can't tell if the dinning table is square or rectangular in the photo.
0 Likes   Thanked by purplehoneypie    June 20, 2014 at 5:31AM
Maureen
With a dark ceiling, you may need some lightness in the room to counterbalance the ceiling. There are articles to help with rug selection/size. Hope the following helps. A rug should mimic the shape of the table. Formula for rug size: measure the width and length of your table and add 18-24” to each of the four sides to allow extra room for the chairs. (Be sure to include your table leaf in your calculation.) For most spaces, that means a 5 × 8’ rug is too small and you should invest in a rug that measures somewhere between 6 x9’ and 9 x 12’. Those extra inches are important because they allow guests to slide chairs out from under the table without falling off the edge of the rug. It’s also important to purchase a rug that is not too big – it’s best that your area rug does not trespass into the space where a sideboard or buffet sits, and so there is a visible border of flooring as well.
0 Likes   Thanked by purplehoneypie    June 20, 2014 at 7:59AM
decoenthusiaste
You need a rug that is 4' wider and longer than your table top. In addition, it shouldn't run into any walls or furniture placed on the walls. That allows for chair scoot and sit space. Generally, there should be 36-48" between your table and the side walls. I think you might find one but may have to turn your table the other direction, which I think will look better anyway.
0 Likes   Thanked by purplehoneypie    June 20, 2014 at 8:44AM