Counters and cabinets

blackchamoisMarch 23, 2012
Hi Charmean, Can you tell me the name of the granite counters, and also the paint color of the white cabinets? Thanks so much!
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC. · More Info
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.
Hi blackchamois. The granite is called Pearl White and I purchased it from Marble Unlimited in Van Nuys. The cabinets are Intense White OC-51 by Benjamin Moore. Let me know if you need further information. Charmean Neithart
1 Like    Bookmark   March 23, 2012 at 3:23PM
ninoandpoonam
Hi Charmean, sorry to hijack this thread. Can you help me select a countertop colour for this kitchen? I am having a tough time choosing the right colour granite.
    Bookmark   March 24, 2012 at 7:51AM
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.
Hi ninoandpoonam. No problem. Nice job so far...couple questions first. What is the flooring? What color paint is on the white cabinets? What color (general, blues,green etc.) would you like to paint the walls? What is your backsplash material? Will your appliances be SS? Looks like a farm sink, white or SS? Finally, where are you located? Slab availability may differ by location. Thanks. Charmean
1 Like    Bookmark   March 24, 2012 at 8:03AM
ninoandpoonam
Thanks Charmean,

The flooring is porcelain in a crema marfil type of colour. The walls were probably going to be a creamy beige/brown colour. The appliances are SS and so is the farm sink. The backsplash will probably a tumbled/rustic cream marble. We are located in Toronto and there are about 500 granite importers close by.
    Bookmark   March 24, 2012 at 12:28PM
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.
Hi again. Here is what I suggest. There is a granite called Bianco Romano. This granite comes pretty close to the look of a white marble, which is always gorgeous but not practical for a kitchen. It has great cream and gray/beige hues with nice movement. It will work with many different backsplashes and definitely your flooring and cabinet color. Please keep me posted and let me know how it works out. Charmean Neithart
You can follow me here...
http://www.houzz.com/pro/cninteriors/__public
    Bookmark   March 24, 2012 at 1:21PM
blackchamois
Hi Charmean, I am wondering if you could recommend some backsplash tile to go with the following counters. I have narrowed the counters down to the following:
Pearl White (as in your picture, if I am able to find it)
Caesarstone in Pebble
Caesarstone in Shitake

I really like mottled look of the above Caesarstones - reminds me of colored poured concrete.

Also, I do want to keep a more "classic" look ... doing white shaker cabinets, maple floors in sort of a mocha (mid-tone brown) color.

Lastly, I am redoing my fireplace which can be seen from my kitchen (my place is tiny) and would like to some suggestions for the tile surround and hearth that might compliment my kitchen.

Thank you for your feedback!
    Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 5:22PM
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.
Hi Blackchamois. I really love all those choices, especially the Shitake Caesartsone. It's such a perfect color. Have I seen a picture of your kitchen so far? I would love to see some pics, that would be helpful. I think the kitchen posted toward the top of this thread is not yours. Right? Would love to see some details. If it is shaker door style and white, then it can handle a little detail in the backsplash. Let's say you go with the Shitake. I think a "classic" look would be calacutta in a 2x4, have a look...
http://www.akdo.com/products_detail.asp?pid=795&catid=58&mcatid=11
I would suggest this slightly smaller tile size in order to contrast the even coloring of the Shitake.Small size tile gives more texture. I do not like marble on kitchen countertops, but a backsplash is okay. Another product I like is the glass line from AKDO. http://www.akdo.com/products_detail_coll.asp?pid=4913&collid=110&subcollid=
This is more of a monochromatic look, but the glass would look sleek against the Shitake. Can you post some pics so I can see everything that is going on...thanks. C.
    Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 10:27PM
blackchamois
Hi Charmean,

You are correct, the pictures above are not my kitchen. At this time mine is just an empty shell. They have just gutted everything so it is truly a blank slate. I am trying to get the majority of my materials selected (or at least have some combinations identified in advance) so that the installation can go quickly.

What I do know at this time: white Shaker cabinets, SS appliances and sink, chrome faucet, maple flooring, probably brushed chrome cabinet hardware (not sure if this will be too much will all the SS?). In terms of paint color for the walls, almost all of the available "wall" is backsplash and will be tiled vs. painted.

I will post some pics as soon as I have more to show. In the meantime I will definitely check out the tile you suggested! Love the idea of the calacutta 2x4!

Thank you so much!
    Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 5:32PM
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.
Ok got it. Please do keep me posted. Also, take a look at Revere Pewter by Benjamin Moore for the walls. This would look great with the shitake and calacutta 2x4. Talk soon. Charmean
    Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 5:57PM
blackchamois
Hi Charmean, Popping back in in hopes you can give me a some additional guidance. I have 3 dilemmas that I am trying to solve for:

1) Unless I can get my cabinet guy to do a more toned down white, I may be stuck with very bright white cabinets. Does this mean that all the trim work in the rest of the condo (windows, baseboards, fireplace, linen closet cabinets, etc.) be the same bright white? Or can I do something softer, say a winter white? If so, any that you could recommend?

2) Although still a consideration, I am unsure that I will be able to go with the Caesarstone Shitake counters, mainly for budget reasons. Any recommendations for a granite that would look good with white cabinets and warm/med brown wood floors – maybe something in the oatmeal color family – tans/grays, and on the “quiet” side in terms of movement? I was looking at possibly Bianco Romano. What are your thoughts and any others to consider?

3) I am also redoing my fireplace (mantle, tile surround, and hearth). My kitchen opens up to the family room and the fireplace is in fairly close proximity. Someone cautioned me against introducing any additional materials and suggested I stay close to the materials that will be used in the kitchen for the counters and backsplash. What are your thoughts?

Am I going about this all backward? Ay! So many decisions!

I did upload a sketch of the layout. Not sure if this is helpful at all. Thanks so much!
    Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 8:53PM
blackchamois

Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 8:54PM
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.
HI Blackchamois. On question #1, it's okay if you do a more mellow white in other spaces of your condo. If you have crown in your kitchen, paint it the same color as the cabinets. A nice white I like is called White Dove OC-17, a very pure white and a pinch milkier than bright white. On question #2, before I even finished reading the question I was thinking Bianco Ramano. I suggest this granite a lot with white cabinets, it works great and you are on the right track there. On question #3, I actually do not agree with the sentiment you heard regarding material being the same. Think of it this way...if you saw a gorgeous rug in a room and thought, "wow, that looks very unique and special" would you still feel that way if you saw the same rug in the next room? Sometimes repeating materials can diminish the effect of the primary space, in your case, the kitchen. I would suggest finding something cohesive to the kitchen, but different. It is a different space with a different function. Layout looks great. Hope that helps. Charmean

Also, here is Bianco Ramano installed...
KitchenLab · More Info
    Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 10:24PM
blackchamois
Thank you for the info Charmean. And makes sense re: #3.

I plan to visit some slab yards this week/weekend. I think you had mentioned one in an earlier post ... Stonemart (N Hollywood)?
    Bookmark   June 5, 2012 at 9:12PM
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.
Yes, Stonemart is in North Hollywood.
13425 Sherman Way
North Hollywood, CA
http://www.stonemart.com/
Ask for Kim
    Bookmark   June 5, 2012 at 10:01PM
blackchamois
Hi Charmean, Regarding the paint for the trim work you said "it's okay if you do a more mellow white in other spaces of your condo. If you have crown in your kitchen, paint it the same color as the cabinets." My question is for the kitchen ceiling paint, is it okay to do White Dove there too if that is what all my other trim(ceilings, baseboards, doors, etc,) will be?" The crown in the kitchen will match the cabs which as I mentioned is a brighter white. Elsewhere the kitchen cabs will not touch any of the trim work but I had forgotten about the kitchen ceiling. What should I do there? Thanks!
    Bookmark   December 8, 2012 at 4:26PM
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.
Hi blackchamois.
Yes, that's fine. Use flat paint on the ceiling. Hope the project is almost done. Charmean
    Bookmark   December 8, 2012 at 5:08PM
Family/living room
Over the last 2 years I've tried every possible furniture...
Melissa Gibson
Sunroom furniture layout
I have a 9X13 sunroom and looking to replace furniture...
Linda Erickson
How can I elevate the curb appeal of this log cabin?
We are planning to purchase this log home and I am...
Ginger Zambrano
Kitchen Remodel - join the fun!
Below is my 7 yr old kitchen in our small open concept...
mamadubbs
How to Paint this Lacquered Ceiling
Does anyone know the proper way to paint this ceiling....
Lila Cormier