Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
toatsmcgoats
okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed yesterday and will be installing white subway tile back splash. i am looking for a soft, predominately white kitchen with a country/vintage feel and a few hints of modern whimsy. I dont think i like the red stuff going on, it seems jarring to me so i think i want to paint the red stuff a gray/blue.

i could use some help! thanks!
wilsonpark2
Vertical borders are nice because the border still shows whether curtain is open or closed. Remind me/us where the horse pattern is going to be besides the potential curtains. The tile inlay over the stove and….?
0 Likes   November 11, 2014 at 4:33PM
toatsmcgoats
sorry guys, i was cooking and stuff.

the horse pattern will be on the cafe curtains at the sink window and in the two inlay tiles over the stove.

im not sure i like the large curtain with the pattern. Maybe like you guys say, just a border. if i do a border, ima thinking the itty biitty pattern vertically on the edges???

i think the boob curtains will arrive tomorrow. also the tile is done up to the stove wall, so i think it will be finished tomorrow and then ill post pics! and i know i said i wanted white grout...but now im not sure!
3 Likes   November 11, 2014 at 4:56PM
toatsmcgoats
oh and i finally laid out my new blue rug in the living room! ill post a pic of that tomorrow too :) Love the rug but now i dont know what to do with the living room! looks like theres gonna be another design dilemma thread in the near future!
7 Likes   November 11, 2014 at 5:02PM
rredpenn
oh toats....lol you ARE feeling better! You've got your mojo back on! I didn't even know about a new blue rug... :) Looking forward to a photo essay tomorrow! :)
5 Likes   November 11, 2014 at 5:42PM
rredpenn
And, IMO a little dala horse goes a long way. Itty bitty on the bottom two inches of hem maybe? :)
0 Likes   November 11, 2014 at 5:44PM
fissfiss
Toats, I think dark grout looks dirty all the time, whereas you can always bleach white grout...this from a woman who once had a track house with 2.5 inch tile white counter tops. Hated those, but would have hated that much dark grout more! On the other hand, you have a fabulous eye, and whatever you pick will look great!
1 Like   November 11, 2014 at 5:49PM
Margaret Bee
Toats, sounds like you got your groove back, busy as ever. Hope the butter chair will be part of tomorrow's big reveal.
1 Like   November 11, 2014 at 5:57PM
marjie1059
My vote is a white curtain, using the horses for a horizontal border--the larger horses, that is.
0 Likes   November 11, 2014 at 5:57PM
toatsmcgoats
true fiss...but i was thinking of very light gray grout, so- not dark, but not white...idk lol, im confused.
0 Likes   November 11, 2014 at 6:02PM
makaloco
When you get the small curtains, maybe hold one or more up to the large window to imagine the fabric in a larger dose. I'm thinking it may be too much, especially with the curtains closed. You don't HAVE to choose between horses and white. You may not want to do blue since you already have a lot, but what about yellow to pick up the chairs and the bits of yellow in the tiles?

BTW, you're contagious. I started painting a black picture frame butter yellow today. It's gonna take four coats, gak!!!
3 Likes   November 11, 2014 at 6:03PM
makaloco
For the grout, try a sample of each. I'm thinking gray would stand out too geometrically next to the more irregular streaky gray in the granite.
0 Likes   November 11, 2014 at 6:06PM
toatsmcgoats
yeah, as usual, i did not get the "butter yellow" right (can never get color right on 1st try). the color i picked i think is too light, it barely looks yellow. i went back to look at the yellow samples and i "think" i found the perfect yellow....and guess what the name of the paint color is....."Butter".
12 Likes   November 11, 2014 at 6:15PM
zazfuzzroc
I used that on my dining room ceiling....butter. Yes, the paint. lol :)
0 Likes   November 11, 2014 at 6:22PM
rredpenn
You can use the too-light color as a primer. All is not lost! :)
3 Likes   November 11, 2014 at 6:45PM
makaloco
I have about a gazillion samples and little bits left in cans of paint from my kitchen and study remodel. Great idea to use the lighter rejects as primers! Thanks, rred.
0 Likes   November 11, 2014 at 7:41PM
fissfiss
Better to start too light than too dark, it's easier to fix!
4 Likes   November 11, 2014 at 7:48PM
rredpenn
So true, Fissy. The voice of experience. :) We had a small bedroom in our old house that was a boy's room...the darkest royal blue on all four walls. UGH It took 5 gallons, and 5 passes, to paint that room white. That was before I knew about Kilz. :)
1 Like   November 12, 2014 at 4:07AM
rredpenn
It's also kind of nice to have primer and final paint color be a little different....that way you can tell where you've been.

Leftover paint is a nuisance. I vowed when we moved not to let paint cans accumulate in our new workroom like they had in the old one. I began saving the big clear plastic mixed nuts jars from Costco...my family loves their cashews and almonds!...leftover paint that I will need for touch-ups/priming somewhere else gets filtered/poured into those. MUCH easier to store, open, carry around, see the color, etc. I write the color/finish/label info on the lid w a sharpie in case I need to buy more.

When we moved, we had about 30 old cans of paint in various stages of useability that we didn't want to leave there or move. I learned the "kitty litter" trick. Open the can, mix in enough kitty litter to soak it up, and let it dry out. Then you can toss it in the trash.
7 Likes   November 12, 2014 at 4:21AM
glschisler
Several years ago our dining room had dark Hunter green wainscoting. I wanted it to be salmon. 7 coats of Kilz before we could paint! Thanks for the kitty litter tip!
1 Like   November 12, 2014 at 9:09AM
makaloco
Yeah, I just finished coat 3 of yellow on a black picture frame and it still needs more. Don't know what Kilz is, but I probably needed some.
1 Like   November 12, 2014 at 10:22AM
zazfuzzroc
Mak, kilz is a primer/stain blocker. Preps the surface for paint and allows for good coat of paint/less applications. :)
0 Likes   November 12, 2014 at 10:44AM
makaloco
Thanks, Zaz. I looked to see if my local Home Depot had it, but it seems not. Oh well, if I get sick of painting yellow, I have plenty of orange and blue. ;)
1 Like   November 12, 2014 at 10:59AM
zazfuzzroc
Mak, You're welcome. Just so you know, just in case... there are other brands of primer. They, I assume carry one of them. :)
0 Likes   November 12, 2014 at 11:04AM
rredpenn
Just peeking in for that photo essay y'all promised... :)
0 Likes   November 12, 2014 at 6:08PM
toatsmcgoats
Ok, I'm posting pics cause I promised, but PLEASE excuse the hot mess everywhere!
10 Likes   November 12, 2014 at 6:50PM
toatsmcgoats
Yeah....I have no choice but to go with white grout now. That wall behind the stove was crazy wonky. Spacing is FAR from perfect. We did the best we could. Also I didn't even notice that the border bubble tile around the horses was ivory and not white:(
2 Likes   November 12, 2014 at 6:59PM
fissfiss
Oh, Toats, it is so fab!
1 Like   Thanked by toatsmcgoats    November 12, 2014 at 7:01PM
rredpenn
Purty, Toats! It is how you imagined, yeah? I do love subway tiles...they are classic. The white grout is going to be fine. I think you'll be glad you need to use white...it will subdue the pattern to a shine vs.matte rather than a color/outline pattern. Let the backsplash be just that...a backdrop for all the other cool things!
1 Like   Thanked by toatsmcgoats    November 12, 2014 at 7:23PM
bubbasgma
HEY!!!!! I recognize that kitchen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)
2 Likes   November 12, 2014 at 7:27PM
bubbasgma
D@mn...I need a BIL like that!!!
1 Like   November 12, 2014 at 7:28PM
toatsmcgoats
hey bubba!!! how you been girlfriend? :)

redd, it is how i imagined it :) and i think youre right about the white grout.
2 Likes   November 12, 2014 at 7:29PM
toatsmcgoats
omg bubba, i worked him like a dog today! poor thing!
1 Like   November 12, 2014 at 7:29PM
nwduck
Just tell him all your Houzz friends envision him as Matthew McConaughey. You ought to get the grout finished with that incentive. Looking good, toats.
1 Like   November 12, 2014 at 7:46PM
rredpenn
ok YUM Matthew McConaughey..... :) I'm down with the image of him doing all of Toats' grunt work! :)
1 Like   November 12, 2014 at 7:52PM
makaloco
Oooooh, this kitchen is SO coming together. White grout is going to look great. And the ivory bubbles will be fine. Those little green accents have gotta go, though. ;)
2 Likes   Thanked by toatsmcgoats    November 12, 2014 at 8:26PM
juliab51
Aren't you pleased? I love my white subway tile... have it in three bathrooms in three different sizes, all with white grout, and it always looks fresh and bright.
1 Like   November 12, 2014 at 9:41PM
zazfuzzroc
Hi Toats, I finally got a crystal clear zoom of your kitchen. :) My 10" Samsung zooms on the houzz app. It looks great. It looks pretty even to me. Trust me....I was all up in your kitchen. I'm surprised you didn't see me. lol :) And BTW how are you feeling? :) Better I hope.
0 Likes   November 12, 2014 at 10:04PM
auntiebuzzybee
SAAWWWEEETT!!! Its a Toat's thing, ya know? Hey, honey pie, so glad to hear everything is moving along :) as it should be. : )
1 Like   November 13, 2014 at 12:15AM
mkritt
Looks beautiful toats!!!
0 Likes   Thanked by toatsmcgoats    November 13, 2014 at 5:38AM
wilsonpark2
Great job, Toats and BIL! It does look beautiful and meets your dilemma goal as stated at the beginning of this adventure. It is so cool that you knew what you wanted and with a little help from your friends you are nearly there. Thumbs up, girl! Envisioning you hanging out with MM and that makes me smile :)
0 Likes   Thanked by toatsmcgoats    November 13, 2014 at 9:37AM
bubbasgma
Oh......I could sure use some hash browns right about now, Toatsy!!!!
1 Like   November 13, 2014 at 9:58AM
ldb123
Hi! Love! So sorry if you already answered this (you have so many comments!) but where did you find the light over the sink? And the bridge faucet? And the curtains? I love it!!!!
0 Likes   Thanked by toatsmcgoats    November 13, 2014 at 10:03AM
auntiebuzzybee
Alright, alright, alright!
1 Like   November 13, 2014 at 10:16AM
indomom
What a ride this has been! Can't wait to see the finishing touches. Awesome job!!
1 Like   November 13, 2014 at 10:27AM
toatsmcgoats
Idb123, thanks! The light over the sink is from pottery barn. The bridge faucet I ordered off of amazon, it's a Danze in oil rubbed bronze. And the curtain is from an etsy shop called lilleputtstudio :)
0 Likes   November 13, 2014 at 10:51AM
ldb123
Great! Thank you! I LOVE your kitchen! :)
0 Likes   November 13, 2014 at 11:35AM
stryker
That looks like a happy kitchen.
3 Likes   Thanked by toatsmcgoats    November 13, 2014 at 12:03PM
indomom
Oooo--just noticed that you changed the bottom of the kitchen window sill. Adorable.
1 Like   November 13, 2014 at 12:28PM
Loving these progress photos of tile!! Not quite as much as I am glad to hear that you are feeling much better. Thanks for kind comments on my powder bath .. mirror is not officially brass, but Wisteria find that helps me celebrate the warm tones in the arrebescato i fell for. Great choice made on framing your dala horses in the beads!!
1 Like   Thanked by toatsmcgoats    November 13, 2014 at 2:40PM
toatsmcgoats
All grouted :) I'll get some pics up tomorrow!
3 Likes   November 13, 2014 at 2:51PM
zazfuzzroc
Such a tease toats! :)
2 Likes   November 13, 2014 at 3:10PM
wilsonpark2
Get those chairs painted all buttery and schedule a continent wide coffee hour to sit in your new kitchen and chat with us! If Chook is around it can be a world wide coffee time! So excited to see the whole shebang :)
6 Likes   November 13, 2014 at 3:44PM
rredpenn
I'm so glad to have Fridays off! Let's have a "Coffee Talk" in toats' kitchen. :)
2 Likes   November 13, 2014 at 6:09PM
toatsmcgoats
okay, heres a bunch of pics :)
not everything is done, still have to caulk around the backsplash perimeter, finish little cabinet door above freezer, finish painting butcher block table and dining chairs....etc, you know how it goes...
10 Likes   November 14, 2014 at 9:54AM
toatsmcgoats
were also gonna fix that patch on the ceiling and give the whole ceiling a fresh coat of white for now. maybe next year i will plank the ceiling:) also have to decide if i like the fridge and freezer where they are now or if im gonna switch them back. any opinions?
8 Likes   November 14, 2014 at 9:57AM
toatsmcgoats
and here are pics of the new rug in the living room. i am at a loss when it comes to decorating with teal....
7 Likes   November 14, 2014 at 10:00AM
rredpenn
Honestly Toats... that is the coolest country-vintage-modern-idk kitchen ever! You have outdid yourself! Loving the backsplash and the floor. What a transformation...

The freezer looks out of place to me tho....I think I like the fridge there better? Maybe because the range is st. steel? Also seems a more convenient place for fridge v. freezer?
10 Likes   Thanked by toatsmcgoats    November 14, 2014 at 10:05AM
rredpenn
Nice rug, too! I love the color. Your LR looks so amazeballs comfortable.
1 Like   November 14, 2014 at 10:07AM
zazfuzzroc
First... kitchen looks good.... Second, I love that rug in the living room..... great color with your furniture. Did you repaint the yellow chair? In the first picture it looks darker. :) Third.... where's my donut???? lol. :)
0 Likes   Thanked by toatsmcgoats    November 14, 2014 at 10:08AM
toatsmcgoats
didnt repaint the chair yet, it's still the lighter yellow.

im so undecided about the fridge/freezer placement. the freezer doesnt stick out so far like the behemoth fridge does, but yeah, the stainless color i think would look better...ugh. convenience wise, no whoop either way.
2 Likes   November 14, 2014 at 10:18AM
toatsmcgoats
mr toats says NO to wallpaper. i actually like the idea, but i dont think he would go for it.
0 Likes   November 14, 2014 at 10:19AM
wilsonpark2
Wowowowow! Everything looks great!

I like the two stainless appliances together - I think the white freezer was more under the radar by itself on the other side of the room. Also isn't it more convenient to have the fridge over by the stove?

But whatever, the floor and backsplash are spot-on for your style. So beautiful :) Such a lovely kitchen. And pretty new rug, also! I had a lot of teal in our previous home. It's a yummy color but can be a little tricky finding the best colors to go with, fo sho.
3 Likes   Thanked by toatsmcgoats    November 14, 2014 at 10:34AM
rredpenn
The warm tones of the wood and leather look perfect with the teal rug.
2 Likes   November 14, 2014 at 10:44AM
toatsmcgoats
i do like the color of the leather chair and ottomon with the teal, is it cognac? and i also like the way the gold color lamp looks with it too. ill prob open a thread in the future just for the livingroom...after i finish the two guest rooms!
5 Likes   November 14, 2014 at 10:55AM
zazfuzzroc
Toats, I missed something ....what wallpaper? Where? I wouldn't stress too much about the fridge/freezer.....you can always switch it if you decide you don't like it. It looks fine either way. I see what you're saying though. :)
0 Likes   November 14, 2014 at 10:56AM
marjie1059
Toats, this is an absolutely beautiful project...you have done an amazing job. Gorgeous...You have a great eye for what works.
I think I agree with rredd and wilson, that it would work better to switch the freezer and fridge. They each would look better, and it seems that they would also be more functional, saving steps.
Love, love, love your rooms.
2 Likes   Thanked by toatsmcgoats    November 14, 2014 at 11:05AM
toatsmcgoats
zaz, wayyyy back i wanted to wallpaper the kitchen but mr toats vetoed it.
1 Like   November 14, 2014 at 11:05AM
toatsmcgoats
i want to replace the table under the coffee station with a small antique dresser that i can paint :)

something like this...
2 Likes   November 14, 2014 at 11:10AM
zazfuzzroc
Oh... that stinks. :( No one here cares what I do....I don't know which would be worse??? lol :)
1 Like   November 14, 2014 at 11:12AM
toatsmcgoats
i think you all convinced me to switch the freezer/fridge back. which is good cause mr toats REALLY REALLY was opposed to switching them in the 1st place. in fact i had to make a deal with him in exchange for switching them i would make him 3 weeks worth of meatballs and eggplant! UGH. so i can get outta that deal :)
9 Likes   November 14, 2014 at 11:14AM
zazfuzzroc
That sounds cute, I love the curve of the last one. :) I must say though.....I thought your coffee station was cute. I've even sent other houzzers over here when they had dilemmas to check out your kitchen. :)
1 Like   November 14, 2014 at 11:15AM
rredpenn
What have you been feeding BIL to get him to stick around through all this work? It seems to be effective, too? :)
2 Likes   November 14, 2014 at 11:40AM
Depo SD
I love how your kitchen turned out, Toats! and FWIW, I don't think you have a living room dilemma. The browns and teal are perfect together!
1 Like   Thanked by toatsmcgoats    November 14, 2014 at 11:47AM
marjie1059
Toats, you crack me up... that's so hilarious...3 weeks of meatballs and eggplant?! I'm trying not to laugh as one son is taking a test for his online history class two feet away....my shoulders are shaking...I'm hoping he doesn't notice.
2 Likes   November 14, 2014 at 12:08PM
toatsmcgoats
yeah but weekends dont count, only business days. and im sure he wont let me out of the entire deal, ill prob have to still cook the crap for a week :(
2 Likes   November 14, 2014 at 12:16PM
mkritt
I LOVE your kitchen toats...I swear I would be finding reasons to go in there all day just to look at it...beautiful!!

I also like your new living room rug. No design dilemma in there...looks awesome!!
1 Like   Thanked by toatsmcgoats    November 14, 2014 at 12:36PM
indomom
Proportionally, I like the freezer and fridge switched. I know I'm in the minority :)
I would just go in that kitchen and lie on that amazing floor and take it all in. Will be looking forward to "Butter" chairs. Teal rug is beautiful. Do you have any art with teal that could go in that room?
2 Likes   November 14, 2014 at 1:57PM
toatsmcgoats
Aha. Turns out the paint named "butter" is the perfect butter yellow. Who woulda thought?
8 Likes   November 14, 2014 at 2:04PM
toatsmcgoats
Indomom I also like the proportions as they are now.
I don't have any teal art but I can make some :)
2 Likes   November 14, 2014 at 2:06PM
rredpenn
yep, that's buttah! Looks great! :)
0 Likes   November 14, 2014 at 2:06PM
zazfuzzroc
Toats, where did you get that butter paint? I need more and I tossed the can. :)
0 Likes   November 14, 2014 at 2:06PM
toatsmcgoats
Zzz, It's lowes Olympic icon.
1 Like   November 14, 2014 at 2:08PM
rredpenn
When you get all curled up on the couch for winter proper (cuz it ain't even winter yet!), you can knit yourself a throw with just a teeny hint of that teal in it. Or pillowcases for the couch pillows. Some fuzzy wuzzy natural colored, angora-y yarns, with a turquoise or teal strand through it every so often would be gorgeous.
0 Likes   November 14, 2014 at 2:12PM
zazfuzzroc
Thanks toats, I like the color. But that's no surprise since I have the same paint in my house. :)
0 Likes   November 14, 2014 at 2:12PM
stryker
toats, your kitchen looks like a place where friends hang out, like where a good buddy comes over and has a cup of coffee with you. It's welcoming.
3 Likes   Thanked by toatsmcgoats    November 14, 2014 at 2:16PM
rredpenn
like this stuff but with some cognac in it as well.....
4 Likes   November 14, 2014 at 2:17PM
toatsmcgoats
Lol zaz not Zzz!
2 Likes   November 14, 2014 at 2:17PM
zazfuzzroc
I figured either you were tired or I was wearing you out. lol :)
3 Likes   November 14, 2014 at 2:19PM
rredpenn
zaz, when I type your name, I have to be uber-intentional... my z button sticks and I am so right-hand dominant too that my left pinkie is not the best at hitting that z. :)
1 Like   November 14, 2014 at 2:21PM
zazfuzzroc
I get all kinds of things when I type for you guys....toats is always toast. The only one that comes out perfect is Stryker. :)
1 Like   November 14, 2014 at 2:27PM
toatsmcgoats
toast works, it reminds me of champagne :)
2 Likes   November 14, 2014 at 2:28PM
toatsmcgoats
you know what i need guys. i need something really cool for the dining table centerpiece. i hate that basket. something unique....but i haven't a clue! any ideas?
1 Like   November 14, 2014 at 2:36PM
rredpenn
Don't even get me started on what my phone wants to rename all of you. Fissy is always Fussy... lol :)
3 Likes   November 14, 2014 at 2:36PM
rredpenn
I kind of like that basket...but... ok! Hmmmmm.......
1 Like   November 14, 2014 at 2:37PM
rredpenn
This sort of reminds me of you... ;P
0 Likes   November 14, 2014 at 2:40PM
toatsmcgoats
im not a fruit eater and anything i need a basket for can fit in the basket on the hutch. then the cat actually sleeps in that dang basket on the table cause its empty all the time...gross.
1 Like   November 14, 2014 at 2:41PM
rredpenn
I know it has to be something that the cat won't bother... Hey, why not take a plain wooden tray and paint one of your bada$$ quilt patterns on it, in small scale?
0 Likes   November 14, 2014 at 2:42PM
rredpenn
haha we both have cats, and know their habits well.
0 Likes   November 14, 2014 at 2:43PM
toatsmcgoats
thats cute rred, but maybe something larger. like one cool item, 2 tops, and i think id like something fairly large?
0 Likes   November 14, 2014 at 2:43PM
toatsmcgoats
cat will find a tray just as appealing lol.
1 Like   November 14, 2014 at 2:43PM
zazfuzzroc
What type? I saw the cutest old fashioned scale at home goods, not sure you'd want that for your table, but I liked it. :)
1 Like   November 14, 2014 at 2:43PM
rredpenn
We keep a wooden tray next to the stove to contain the S and P shakers, napkins and the odd vase full of flowers I sometimes let myself bring home. :) Keeps the countertop cleaner to keep em in a tray.
0 Likes   November 14, 2014 at 2:44PM
rredpenn
An old grocer's scale could be really wicked!
1 Like   November 14, 2014 at 2:45PM
rredpenn
like this?
4 Likes   November 14, 2014 at 2:48PM
zazfuzzroc
Yeah, that's what I mean ya know, a balance scale. You could put salt and pepper on it. I think that would be cute. Maybe napkins on the other side.??? :)
0 Likes   November 14, 2014 at 2:48PM
rredpenn
You could put the catfood in it.... LOL JUST KIDDING!!!!
6 Likes   November 14, 2014 at 2:49PM
zazfuzzroc
The one at home goods was way cute. I wish I had a picture. Perfect for your kitchen. I really wanted it. :)
0 Likes   November 14, 2014 at 2:50PM
toatsmcgoats
Yeah something like that!
1 Like   November 14, 2014 at 2:56PM
zazfuzzroc
It was perfect. Do you have a home goods near you?
0 Likes   November 14, 2014 at 2:58PM
rredpenn
Here is a cool public domain website of nifty images for you to look at sometime, toats. I just stumbled into it. Totally cool science/nature/animal/etc images to use however you want... :)
http://vintageprintable.com/
2 Likes   November 14, 2014 at 2:58PM
toatsmcgoats
Wow ! Cool redd! Thanks:)
0 Likes   November 14, 2014 at 3:01PM
toatsmcgoats
We have a home goods in Knoxville, I'll keep a look out for it.
1 Like   November 14, 2014 at 3:02PM
kcooz07
Kitchen looks great Toats-love the floor and backsplash! I vote for the SS fridge closer to the stove, even though the white may fit better.
1 Like   Thanked by toatsmcgoats    November 14, 2014 at 3:08PM
stryker
How about a collection of old or interesting crockery on the table? Not this many, of course.
2 Likes   November 14, 2014 at 4:23PM
Libbmom
Kitchen looks amazing! I would move the fridge back...more convenient...what is behind the fridge/stove wall? Anyway to recess the stainless fridge?
saw this pillows in world market...thought of you
The lumbar pillow I have in my family room that has teal
6 Likes   November 14, 2014 at 5:04PM
Libbmom
Pier One has lots of teal things too...if you need accent pieces...I just got thes lamps recently...
1 Like   November 14, 2014 at 5:19PM
nwduck
What's the antidote for both husband and self getting colds??? TOATS PICTURES! It's almost like Christmas.

Great job on the kitchen, just great. As I mentioned waaaay earlier....toats will do herringbone and it will be great....even though I would be too chicken.

Of all the ideas for the table center, I sort of like the crock best. The scale is super cool, but might be a potential cat bed. My only idea was to do a rough wooden trough, but randomly fill it (almost like piles o'critters) with little ceramic figures of animals (whites, greys, blues and maybe a red as a nod to pug picture). There's no shortage of little creatures to be found. It would be an interesting root-through during dinner, for sure.

I like the fridge on the same wall as the stainless stove. Where they are now visually seems wrong, but we're not the ones bumping into them. Also, like the current coffee bar with simple lines, textured baskets below.

In the living room, could you add a bit of buttah? With the dark furniture and the blue rug/pillows, putting in a little of the yellow might be pretty. I was noticing a small piece by the side of one armchair...maybe paint that? And add some butter candles on the trunk instead of white. Also spotted a butterish throw? peeping out of a basket on the photo edge. Use that?
3 Likes   Thanked by toatsmcgoats    November 14, 2014 at 5:54PM
marjie1059
Like the crocks.
1 Like   November 14, 2014 at 6:49PM
Depo SD
I love your ideas NW. I had to chuckle when I read the idea of the wooden trough with figurines in them. It would be so cute, however, it brought flashback memories of our terrorist former cat who used to take his fat butt and knock all my tchotchkes out of the way so he could lay where they were. Broke quite a few pieces that were meaningful to me. That being said, I'm sure Damnit is much more civilized that Chu-hi was, so it may work for Toats, lol!
2 Likes   November 14, 2014 at 6:57PM
auntiebuzzybee
Classic home feeling maybe a nice, hopefully old, lazy susan with old small crocks for jams, salt, different peppers....lazy susans are so user friendly and could be cool with all kinds of hot sauces and BUTTAH crock
3 Likes   November 14, 2014 at 7:33PM
fissfiss
Cat won't like the scale, it will move...and if that's entertainment for said beast, then you will have cute cat videos for the Internet!
2 Likes   November 14, 2014 at 8:31PM
swrite
Wow, looking great! I think the kitty curled up in the basket would make the perfect centerpiece. :) Like the LR rug too. Remember you saying you got a better deal locally. Mind sharing the store name? Can be hard to find cute but affordable rugs around here.
0 Likes   Thanked by toatsmcgoats    November 14, 2014 at 9:02PM
Lynnie
Either gray-blue or aqua would give you the look you are looking for. This can give you some ideas on decor...and bring an interesting chandelier into the mix.

California Collected
Stylish Work Space
Rockland Additions
The Heglar's Kitchen
1 Like   November 14, 2014 at 10:07PM
makaloco
I'm with Indomom on keeping the fridge and freezer as they are now. The freezer is a better fit in that space, and it opened the wrong way (IMO) for the old space. Seems to me you'd have had to throw the door wide open to avoid the wall with the coat hooks while getting stuff in and out. Since the fridge has French doors, it's not an issue. Love your blue antique dresser idea, Toats!
1 Like   November 14, 2014 at 10:24PM
toatsmcgoats
Friends are staying over. The kitchen table got a workout last night lol.
8 Likes   November 15, 2014 at 5:12AM
toatsmcgoats
oh and friends are staying in the quilt wall room. they love the walls and she said that she spent half an hour just looking at all the designs on the wall :)
14 Likes   November 15, 2014 at 5:16AM
rredpenn
Jealous of your friends. I miss your quilt room! :)
5 Likes   November 15, 2014 at 5:38AM
toatsmcgoats
Idk if you guys know about this stuff. It's amazing. My hands are in really bad shape after the floor and the backsplash. Working with thinset and grout gloveless made them so dry and rough and this stuff is the only thing that fixed em! AND it's not greasy like lotion! They designed it to put on cows lol then people caught on to how awesome it is I guess!
1 Like   November 15, 2014 at 5:46AM
indomom
I like those pillows that Libbmom posted above and Rred's throw idea. A rustic "something" filled with succulents might be nice for the kitchen table. They are pretty hard to kill unless you water them too much.
1 Like   November 15, 2014 at 6:54AM
kcooz07
Etsy has some wine barrel lazy susan's which are kind of different. I saw the wine glasses on your table :)
1 Like   November 15, 2014 at 9:01AM
toatsmcgoats
OMG this chair sucks to paint!!!
3 Likes   November 15, 2014 at 9:11AM
glschisler
Gorgeous kitchen! Really like the living room colors!
0 Likes   Thanked by toatsmcgoats    November 15, 2014 at 9:54AM
stryker
Lots of detail work on that chair. Too bad you can't just spray it. Or can you?
1 Like   November 15, 2014 at 10:08AM
toatsmcgoats
well, if they made this butter paint in a spray can id sure be happy. or i could buy a paint sprayer but id rather spend my money elsewhere! ....the tile in the upstairs guest bathroom is coming up....so ima thinking thats next on the agenda :)....and of course if i tile the floor, a new vanity is in order, and if i do that a new toilet will be needed...oh and the walls are popcorn in there, so i might as well smooth em out sense its the last room in the house with popcorn walls.....oh and why not wainscot while im at it, id love to wainscot the walls in there.....mr toats is gonna kill me....
14 Likes   November 15, 2014 at 10:14AM
zazfuzzroc
I guess you are feeling better. :)
1 Like   November 15, 2014 at 10:34AM
toatsmcgoats
sure am zaz :)
2 Likes   November 15, 2014 at 10:35AM
zazfuzzroc
Great to hear..... but what about my room??? Don't do the potty room first...lol :)
0 Likes   November 15, 2014 at 10:45AM
toatsmcgoats
Well I'd have to do the floor first cause I'd like to get it done while bil is still here:)
1 Like   November 15, 2014 at 11:47AM
zazfuzzroc
Oh, true.... smart move. :)
0 Likes   November 15, 2014 at 11:49AM
indomom
Have you ever read the kids' book "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie"? It's YOU!!
8 Likes   November 15, 2014 at 12:35PM
toatsmcgoats
I'll have to look that book up!
1 Like   November 15, 2014 at 12:44PM
fissfiss
Bag Balm is another useful moisturizer, also from the dairy industry. Toats, one of our local paint stores will make spray paint in any color you want, could be worth finding one near you.
3 Likes   November 15, 2014 at 1:14PM
soccerates
Your kitchen is just wonderful. Kudos to you for following your vision and your heart.
I grew up using bag balm. Excellent stuff! You can also use pure lanolin which can be found at a pharmacy. When I'm doing a lot of food prep (and all of the dishes that go along with that) I rub olive oil on my hands. Gotta get your hands in shape for knitting season!
3 Likes   November 15, 2014 at 3:39PM
auntiebuzzybee
Toats, there was "a thing" available at my Home Depot, about $15 if I recall that was a kit of sorts whereby you could put your paint in it and it would spray your paint. I've heard fairly good things about the Wagner hand sprayer. Gosh I can't think of the name now. It was something like Wagner Versio(?) With all you've always got going on, I'd be putting that on my Santa list...maybe my Mr. Thankful Turkey list...
0 Likes   November 15, 2014 at 4:13PM
auntiebuzzybee
Toat's, scrub your hands with sugar before using lotions or creams. Just tip the sugar bowl over and pour some in the palm of your hand and scrub together and between your fingers with that course grain then rinse with warm water, put lotion on while hands are still warm and moist. I take sugar to scrub in the shower...of course I'm freezing until I can get back under warm spray!
0 Likes   November 15, 2014 at 4:18PM
makaloco
Love the chair you have finished, Toats. The new color looks a lot more buttery!
Another Bag Balm fan here. I got it to use on my horse when he had splotches of dry skin but naturally ended up using it on myself, too.
0 Likes   November 15, 2014 at 4:19PM
rredpenn
Hey B! Where've you been hiding? :) Toats...I like this lazy susan...but it's like 450.00! It's got some buttah, some blue-gray, warm woods (all good colors) and seasons and your trees...
3 Likes   November 16, 2014 at 3:18AM
rredpenn
This one is cute too... Sticks is a prolific producer of this sort of whimsical wood art in DM. I have a friend that worked there. :) http://www.sticks.com/buy-sticks/details.html?recordID=8575
2 Likes   November 16, 2014 at 3:33AM
auntiebuzzybee
Hey Rred! ; )
0 Likes   November 16, 2014 at 8:08PM
auntiebuzzybee
knock, knock!???? Anybody home???
2 Likes   November 17, 2014 at 4:12PM
rredpenn
Who's there? :)
2 Likes   November 18, 2014 at 4:22AM
glschisler
I saw the Sprint commercial last night on THE VOICE. The screaming goat is hilarious & I immediately thought of Toats! :))
5 Likes   November 18, 2014 at 6:23AM
rredpenn
This is for you, B.!

Knock Knock...
Who's there?
Goat.
Goat who?
Goat to the door and find out! :)
6 Likes   November 19, 2014 at 4:44AM
soccerates
Hahaha! Good one rred!
Toats, have you dismantled the bathroom yet????
2 Likes   November 19, 2014 at 6:43AM
marjie1059
Oh, yikes, are any of you from the * S * N * O * W * area of the country????
I totally love snow, but 5 feet of it is a bit much. I'll keep our 4 inches or whatever, and be grateful. (You can't even use a snow blower with that much! Not that we have one, mind you....we just have several pairs of arms here that can take turns.)
1 Like   November 19, 2014 at 6:59AM
auntiebuzzybee
Awwww, thanks Rred!!! You're a sweetheart.
0 Likes   November 19, 2014 at 2:15PM
auntiebuzzybee
I've been wanting to ask if you are planning tie on seat pad cushions for these chairs? What about that boob curtain fabric or a plaid or railroad ticking or patch quilt co-ordinating fabric for the chair pads? I liked your idea about using a bureau or chest for your coffee station, btw. More storage works almost all the time. Put all your coffee supplies, placemats, napkins, etc. in those drawers or one that has doors that open with shelves or drawers inside. Anyhow, I think you've got another great idea on the backburner. Looking fantastic in every way, Toats.

So glad you are back to feeling good. Boy, that was rough what you went through.

How long will BIL still be around?
1 Like   November 19, 2014 at 2:29PM
kathytaffy
Totally AMAZING kitchen Toats!!
I had an idea for your table, little galvanized pails with herbs in them. You could leave them the color they are or paint them the yellow or blue that is in your kitchen. I have no idea if you have enough light for them or if your cat would eat herbs ( our one cat loves basil, who knew!). Just a thought. :)
4 Likes   Thanked by toatsmcgoats    November 19, 2014 at 3:39PM
auntiebuzzybee
galvanized pails, very cool. Dont forget the catnip!
0 Likes   November 19, 2014 at 4:36PM
Depo SD
That is a cool idea. You could grow wheat grass in them for the cat to nibble on also.
0 Likes   November 19, 2014 at 5:11PM
wilsonpark2
Is Toats off the grid again? Hmmm. I am going with the theory that she is in her bath remodel up to her ears and we will next hear from her with either 1) a choice that she would like help with or 2) photos of an all new bathroom. Go Toats!
2 Likes   November 19, 2014 at 8:32PM
toatsmcgoats
nice chair pad auntie! def a contender. and yes i def want chair pads, these antique chairs aren't the most comfy seating ever.

havent started bathroom yet or anything, company is still here till sunday is all :)
4 Likes   November 20, 2014 at 5:56AM
zazfuzzroc
Hi toats, how are ya? Everyone has been looking for ya. :)
0 Likes   November 20, 2014 at 6:07AM
toatsmcgoats
hi zaz! im doing great, just entertaining company. we made pina coladas the other night and we were all dancing in the kitchen! they leave sunday, so ill be back to work soon :)
1 Like   November 20, 2014 at 6:11AM
zazfuzzroc
Good thing your floors are level. lol :). Glad you're having a good time.... after not feeling so well for a while. :) Hey, send me a pina colada, that sounds good. Although its chilly this morning. Have a good day! Enjoy your company. :)
1 Like   November 20, 2014 at 6:18AM
wilsonpark2
Have fun with your company Toats! See ya later
1 Like   November 20, 2014 at 9:10AM
rredpenn
Hopefully your guests didn't come without warning. Lol ... or maybe that's ok with them? :-)
1 Like   November 20, 2014 at 10:26AM
Fred S
That would be grounds for a premature ejection.
4 Likes   November 20, 2014 at 10:35AM
rredpenn
:)
1 Like   November 20, 2014 at 1:53PM
zazfuzzroc
Did someone say.......bedroom????? LOL ;D
1 Like   November 20, 2014 at 3:15PM
auntiebuzzybee
I sure like the cheese wheel one, Toats. Thought you might enjoy this...of course you probably already get this sent to you http://m.hometalk.com/b/5550509/15-genius-ways-to-make-a-lazy-susan-work?se=fol_new-20141122&utm_medium=email&utm_source=fol_new&date=20141122&tk=ef03ch
0 Likes   November 22, 2014 at 7:29PM
indomom
Nice, Auntie! That would be a breeze for Toats.
1 Like   November 23, 2014 at 6:05AM
rredpenn
Toats...ran into this guy on Etsy. You gotta go see his shop. This is one of his prints... :) https://www.etsy.com/listing/184047599/rabbit-costume-fox-a4-print?ref=related-3
2 Likes   November 23, 2014 at 6:40AM
auntiebuzzybee
and then there are these...silver too, you can use in your plate berrom too?
http://www.westelm.com/products/gilded-dapper-animal-dinnerware-set-e844/?cm_src=AutoRel
1 Like   Thanked by toatsmcgoats    November 24, 2014 at 12:41AM
toatsmcgoats
Hey guys! Check out the tile I just ordered for the guest bath floor :) gonna use the long gray tile as a border and the small tile in center of floor with gray grout. Whatcha guys think?
9 Likes   November 24, 2014 at 3:41PM
homesweethome !
I really like the idea of the long tile as a border:)
0 Likes   Thanked by toatsmcgoats    November 24, 2014 at 4:05PM
stryker
I think it will look good.
0 Likes   Thanked by toatsmcgoats    November 24, 2014 at 4:11PM
rredpenn
Gray grout is a great idea! And you're doing your honeycomb/penny tiles! YAY!
0 Likes   Thanked by toatsmcgoats    November 24, 2014 at 4:20PM
rredpenn
Ha ha ha... "Teach a girl to tile..." look what happens! Toats, you're the best.... :)
...at making us all look like slouches... :)
6 Likes   November 24, 2014 at 4:23PM
soccerates
Yes, yes, yes Toats! I like that combo alot!
0 Likes   Thanked by toatsmcgoats    November 24, 2014 at 7:00PM
indomom
Love that tile combo, Toats! Auntie's back in the kitchen :)
0 Likes   Thanked by toatsmcgoats    November 25, 2014 at 6:16AM
auntiebuzzybee
Hey, Indomom!!! Yep, just thinking about things she can grab that really have nothing to do with the time line of BIL being there to do the more construction type stuff.
Is there some contrasting design from the boob curtain and accent tile that the chair pads can be made with? I've been looking for grain sack chair pads...hmmm...and just might look for a chest to be the coffee buffet like she wants.
1 Like   Thanked by toatsmcgoats    November 25, 2014 at 1:25PM
auntiebuzzybee
I would certainly recommend a float be used on that penny tile. Its not so easy making sure they are elevated or pressed evenly. My bath floor could have been better if only they had used a float. It's tricky. The very old vintage bathrooms have that border like I think she plans to do. I was too tired to argue the results of mine. 2 weeks of mess for one bathroom. I as so over the mess!
0 Likes   November 25, 2014 at 1:30PM
auntiebuzzybee
I have a bathroom for her ; ) but am having trouble posting photos i have stored : [
0 Likes   November 25, 2014 at 1:32PM
auntiebuzzybee
Let's see...
5 Likes   November 25, 2014 at 1:40PM
auntiebuzzybee
That's what I've had in mind : ) I know she could do it...if she loves it like I do
1 Like   November 25, 2014 at 1:43PM
fissfiss
Really pretty tile, Toats.
0 Likes   Thanked by toatsmcgoats    November 25, 2014 at 1:43PM
toatsmcgoats
wow auntie, that bathroom is gorgeous! and omg, a float? i hadnt even thought about the problems laying the tile could present....i appreciate the heads up...time to do some research about laying the little tile.
2 Likes   November 25, 2014 at 9:47PM
zazfuzzroc
Toats, good luck with the tiles. :) And have a great thanksgiving's day! :)
0 Likes   Thanked by toatsmcgoats    November 25, 2014 at 10:14PM
rredpenn
Real quick before I forget... have a Happy Thanksgiving, Toats. I hope your belly is back to being able to enjoy the bounty in your beautiful, almost finished, kitchen! Cheers from me!
4 Likes   Thanked by toatsmcgoats    November 26, 2014 at 4:59PM
auntiebuzzybee
OH yes, Rred! That's so true! Shoot this isn't even the same kitchen as a year ago. Like cutting that back porch cabinet in two. Then painting the side cart to blue started the demise of rred (oh dear), and then the hutch, and the bunny cookie jar, and the hobnail glasses, and the lamp above sink, and changing the shade of white of the cabinets even! Taking white plates down from above and trying the animal ones, gathering unique antique chairs for around the table, THE TILE....oh and lest we forget, THE GRANITE!!! My LAWD!!!
3 Likes   November 26, 2014 at 8:22PM
auntiebuzzybee
Happy Thanksgiving Mr. and Mrs. McGoats!
0 Likes   Thanked by toatsmcgoats    November 26, 2014 at 8:24PM
auntiebuzzybee
Going to get snow on the plateau, Toats. Freezing my teehs off! LOL!
1 Like   November 26, 2014 at 8:25PM
indomom
I am thankful for Toats' creativity and humor that she shares so freely.
1 Like   Thanked by toatsmcgoats    November 27, 2014 at 11:02AM
fissfiss
Gobble, gobble, Toats!
1 Like   November 27, 2014 at 12:28PM
toatsmcgoats
HAPPY THANKSGIVING MY HOUZZ FRIENDS! OMG IM SOOO FULL!!!!!
9 Likes   November 27, 2014 at 1:10PM
zazfuzzroc
LOL TOATS, HAPPY THANKSGIVINGS DAY to you and yours! We had round one and in the next hour it's the turkey. I'm still stuffed from the first round?!?! lol :D Hope you had a nice day! Almost forgot to drop off my turkey........
1 Like   November 27, 2014 at 3:03PM
auntiebuzzybee
Since Toats is so talented at, let's see, uhmmm, everything, yep yep everything, can you imagine what a great cook she is????
1 Like   November 27, 2014 at 10:58PM
toatsmcgoats
aww thanks auntie!
4 Likes   November 28, 2014 at 6:30AM
toatsmcgoats
and thats the correct way to eat pumpkin pie my friends.
3 Likes   November 28, 2014 at 6:31AM
toatsmcgoats
...for breakfast.
6 Likes   November 28, 2014 at 6:31AM
bubbasgma
I love pie for breakfast!
3 Likes   November 28, 2014 at 7:54AM
toatsmcgoats
Ok so the hallway is finally done! I'm pretty pleased with how the closet barn door turned out. And I love all the new chunky trim. The new light is "meh..." I'll prob move it elsewhere and replace it later!
12 Likes   November 28, 2014 at 8:14AM
wilsonpark2
I see one lonely piece of pecan pie on my counter and it's calling to me...and contemplating putting some of that whipped cream in my coffee. Good morning Fat Friday!
3 Likes   November 28, 2014 at 8:15AM
toatsmcgoats
omg i dont even think i will eat today! im so stuffed STILL! im very thankful my tummy troubles resolved in time for the awesome thanksgiving feast :) hope everyone had a wonderful thanksgiving! anyone going out "black fridaying"?
1 Like   November 28, 2014 at 8:17AM
bubbasgma
Life is too short...Go for it, wp2!
4 Likes   November 28, 2014 at 8:17AM
wilsonpark2
Toats I really like your door - it's beautiful! The light is fine but is lacking that certain Toatsiness. It's a good place filler until you fall in love with the perfect fixture :)
4 Likes   November 28, 2014 at 8:18AM
toatsmcgoats
thanks wilson! and i agree about the light!
0 Likes   November 28, 2014 at 8:18AM
rredpenn
Hey Toats! Glad you're back in the saddle. Hallway is very nice. Love the barn door. The dark woodtone is beautiful with the white trims and wood floor! My "Black Friday" has been spent cleaning my fireplace glass...Yep. It's a black day here all right. soot soot soot. Yuk.
2 Likes   Thanked by toatsmcgoats    November 28, 2014 at 11:57AM
Emerson Brothers, LLC. Home Remodeling
Beautiful Job. I love the idea of using blues, which are a bit more soothing on the eye and also allow you to bring out some of the tones in your granite. Although these pictures are of a bathroom the blue and white china would be a great addition to your space.
0 Likes   Thanked by toatsmcgoats    November 28, 2014 at 12:02PM
fissfiss
Happy Fat Friday to you'all! Toats, love the hall. Understand what you mean about the the light, but it is completely tasteful in the tasteful is a bit boring kind of way. The barn door is incredible....
We have been real donuts made by the Amish every morning. The market doesn't open until 9 tomorrow, we are having a "marital discussions" about how that impacts our day. Got a 9 ish hour drive in front of us.
2 Likes   November 28, 2014 at 4:45PM
fissfiss
How about eating real donuts, not we are real donuts...although custard filling might be squeezed out of us at the moment.
4 Likes   November 28, 2014 at 4:46PM
rredpenn
lmao fissy! You have such a way with words! :)
1 Like   November 28, 2014 at 4:56PM
fissfiss
In the open mouth and insert foot, or more likely, Smeet! Kind of way?
1 Like   November 28, 2014 at 6:38PM
auntiebuzzybee
Toats, I keep going back to look at your barn door. I think the description is "I'm all over that door! MWAH!"
2 Likes   November 28, 2014 at 9:42PM
zazfuzzroc
Door is looking good toats! I like the color. :)
0 Likes   Thanked by toatsmcgoats    November 28, 2014 at 9:46PM
toatsmcgoats
are you gonna make a barn door auntie? that would be so cool!
1 Like   November 29, 2014 at 7:36AM
auntiebuzzybee
uhh, no. Not making a barn door but sure do admire yours. I wish I could have one. I have door congestion in my little hall but was told I'm stuck with what I have. I'm not "toats cool" like you, Toatsy : )
1 Like   November 29, 2014 at 8:46AM
auntiebuzzybee
Toats, question...is that barn door one piece that slides left? and that's a hallway coat closet?
0 Likes   November 29, 2014 at 4:53PM
toatsmcgoats
its a bifold that opens to the right (if facing door). its actually our bedroom closet. Our bedroom only had a very tiny closet in it so we built a new laundry room and converted the old laundry room into our new closet. in the hallway directly across from the closet is our bathroom and the door on the end that you see open in the pic is our bedroom. so we kinda got a "master suite" goin on, that's why we put up a door that separates the bedroom area and the kitchen.
1 Like   November 29, 2014 at 5:24PM
toatsmcgoats
....
3 Likes   November 29, 2014 at 5:26PM
auntiebuzzybee
OOOOhhhhh, I get it now! Thanks, Toats. I saw the two handles but couldn't see a sliding track plus I thought it can't slide right because of your art that looks like Damnit. Well that is really neat, Toats. You kind of have your own "wing" of the house then. Is it the master bath there that you are tiling with the penny tile? And your hallway there is the wood floor? That looks so nice. Are you doing another barndoor for between the kitchen and master suite? Did you decide whether you were going to do beams on the kitchen ceiling (while your BIL there) I've heard those faux beams are nice (?).
0 Likes   November 29, 2014 at 9:09PM
toatsmcgoats
i would have loved to put up a true sliding barn door, but installing the bifold door was like soooo much easier than installing all that heavy duty track hardware. the new tile is actually for the guest bathroom upstairs. i would have loved to do my bathroom first but the tile in the guest bath is literally coming up off the floor and needs replacing asap. ill make sure i put up a before pic of the guest bath so you can see what im talkin bout. there's already a regular door on the doorway that divides the bedroom area and the kitchen that we put up like a year ago. its not a cool barn door, but its a nice new wooden door, so it'll do.

heres a pic of the door that divides kitchen and bedroom area, its an old pic, but the door itself looks same.
0 Likes   November 29, 2014 at 10:07PM
auntiebuzzybee
Oh geez, the tile is coming up off the bathroom floor? That's hopefully not a sign of anything except that you'll get a easier time of removing it. My floor joists were rotting from water damage going on behind the wall "somewhere". I hope to heck that all got remedied when the lines were replaced. Come to find out, copper can get tiny, tiny pin holes in it from lightening and then, in time, you find out you're skrewd. So I had a man IN my floor while they sistered up the joists with new lumber. Given time, I guess my cast iron tub would have fallen through the floor onto the ground. I almost threw up in the WTF moment. I am so thrilled to know that I live in THE lightening capitol of the world too. I sure hope you are not in for any surprises. Are you replacing anything other than tile?
0 Likes   November 29, 2014 at 11:39PM
auntiebuzzybee
Oh yes, that's a nice looking door. Heck no, you don't need a barn door there since that one is brand new. Boy, look at that photo! Your hutch was white then, you've changed the quilt art to the "OBEY", right? and look at that floor : / Have your back and knees recovered? Dang, that was work!
0 Likes   November 29, 2014 at 11:45PM
toatsmcgoats
i am a tad worried that there is something wrong and thats why the floor is coming up...i guess i wont know until i rip it all up. but it could just be poor install. the grout started cracking and going missing some time ago and that was the only thing holding the tiles to the floor as very little mastic was used and it had dried to dust long ago....

my back and knees have indeed recovered :) ready for round two! i want to replace the toilet and vanity as well and ive talked bil into "painting" the shower white with a special shower paint.
1 Like   November 30, 2014 at 7:20AM
auntiebuzzybee
are you referring to a fiberglass shower unit that you want painted? Your shower is not tiled?
0 Likes   November 30, 2014 at 11:26AM
toatsmcgoats
Exactly right auntie, it's a fiberglass unit. It's practically in mint condition but it's that ugly yellow color :(
0 Likes   November 30, 2014 at 11:39AM
auntiebuzzybee
I did my own toilet assembly through an internet company called faucetdirect.com. It is a Kohler SIPHON jet FLUSH which is great. I wanted to get the 1.6 gal before there are only 1.2 or less available. It is a powerful "whosh" instead of a swirling kind of flush. My friend wanted all new toilets in her house. She started with this one in the master and loved it so much she wanted her other two in the same. I told her she could pay less and get others but nope, she loves that siphon jet. She complains she has low water pressure so she wanted to get what she knew she would love for several reasons. I had put hers together through this same company and she was really pleased with the way it all worked out. They deliver via freight in a couple of days, put it in the garage and then it's there when your plumber comes. It's ridiculous that a toilet does not come with a seat, ya know??? LOL. You would know this toilet, Toats from pictures on Houzz in the period style of an old bathroom. It's the Memoirs from Kohler. Expensive, I think but over the next 20 years...?, maybe not too bad a price to pay : / ?
0 Likes   November 30, 2014 at 11:47AM
toatsmcgoats
Here's a few pics of the bathroom I'm about to demolish! As you can see the tile is shot and the toilet and vanity are FUGLY. The shower unit isn't anything special, but it's in great shape and I can't see going thru the hassle and cost of replacing it when some elbow grease can turn it into a nice new white unit. Thinking of replacing vanity with a pedestal sink too.
0 Likes   November 30, 2014 at 11:49AM
toatsmcgoats
And the walls omg the walls.....
0 Likes   November 30, 2014 at 11:55AM
toatsmcgoats
i have NO say in toilet choice , that's mr toats' domain lol. He is very picky when it comes to toilets, he likes em powerful. all i get to do is pick the color, bil goes to pick it up and bil and mr toats install it...im a lucky girl :)
1 Like   November 30, 2014 at 11:58AM
auntiebuzzybee
yep, I had a feeling it was fiberglass since that seems to be very popular in Tn. Try to get tiling is next to impossible. I don't understand the popularity of the fiberglass up here in Tn. When looking at houses, a builder would put in heated tiles for the floor and all these other bells and whistles but still have a fiberglass tub/shower.

That must be some stretchy paint because I always feel a give under my feet in a fiberglass shower. I wonder if other "stuff" stays secure with all that movement...in other words, I wonder about the drain staying tight to the shell. Do you understand what I'm trying to say?

Even my iron tub in FL seems "to give" since there is a crawl space under the house instead of on a slab. I got the additive to put in the grout to make it flex a tiny bit but still, still, I can't seem to keep it caulked tight. Have you considered an additive for your grout?
Gotta call the guys back again because I have tried over and over with the caulk and supposedly I shouldn't have needed the caulk, the grout should have been enough according to them.
0 Likes   November 30, 2014 at 12:07PM
toatsmcgoats
i already have the grout and the additive for it. just need to get started...the "paint" for the fiberglass unit has very good reviews, so im hoping it all works out great. worse comes to worse ill have to get rid of it and replace it. i agree thats its near impossible to find a tiled shower in these parts. when i get around to doing the bigger/master bathroom downstairs id like to get rid of the fiberglass unit and replace with tub and tile. where is the caulking youre refering to? on the perimeter of the floor where tile meets walls?
0 Likes   November 30, 2014 at 12:12PM
auntiebuzzybee
Toats, that is not a bad looking fiberglass unit. Seriously, if it's in great shape and it looks like it is, then do you really want to throw in a problem waiting to happen? If it ain't broke, don't fix it? (You have goatnads! LOL!)
1 Like   November 30, 2014 at 12:15PM
auntiebuzzybee
No, the caulking is around the tub, between tile and tub where they meet.
0 Likes   November 30, 2014 at 12:17PM
toatsmcgoats
hmm, i have no idea why that would fail? seems straight forward to put caulk there.....???
0 Likes   November 30, 2014 at 12:39PM
toatsmcgoats
well, i suppose i COULD just leave it be, but then everything will be sparking white BUT the ugly yellow tub!
0 Likes   November 30, 2014 at 12:40PM
auntiebuzzybee
in the photos, it is not yellowish on my screen, it looks more tan. I like cream and white together but you always get it right, Toats. Seems a lot of us hold our breaths while you do something we wouldn't tackle...and it turns out perfect.
0 Likes   November 30, 2014 at 1:34PM
auntiebuzzybee
I'm having trouble attaching photos so let me try this:
http://www.faucetdirect.com/american-standard-0282-008-retrospect-27-fireclay-pedestal-sink-only-less-pedestal/p239375

I got this sink and stand and I LOVE IT. The top is large enough for soap, toothbrushes, etc. The bottom glass shelf is really nice to have as extra space and the console then has built in towel rack on sides or front. Also is sturdy and very tall.

I think I got the basin at HomeDepot and the console through this site or Amazon...I did shop prices and availability. It is a great vintage type sink.
1 Like   November 30, 2014 at 1:57PM
zazfuzzroc
Hi Toats, I hope you don't mind, someone was asking about your counter on your granite thread. I think I answered them correctly, but I left a link to this thread, so they could see your progress. Check and let me know if its okay. If not... I'll remove it... no problem. :)
0 Likes   November 30, 2014 at 2:07PM
toatsmcgoats
Thanks zaz! So funny peeps still post on that thread! You answered perfectly :)

Hey I haven't visited your thread in a while, did you ever choose a tile lol?
1 Like   November 30, 2014 at 2:27PM
toatsmcgoats
oMG auntie I LOVE it!!!! Now I want it!
3 Likes   November 30, 2014 at 2:30PM
zazfuzzroc
LOL Choose...LOL Me.... :D Really, I'm probably going with a neutral marble backsplash, possibly a combo of two for more interest..... but one will be a subway :D Almost tufted looking subway in marble. I returned my mosaic tiles. I want to get lights in first. (cans) I had a visitor recently.... very interesting ....you should take a peek. :) Thanks for asking. ;)
0 Likes   November 30, 2014 at 2:37PM
auntiebuzzybee
It's a great sink and console. Lemme see if I can show you the faucet I used Back soon.
0 Likes   November 30, 2014 at 3:00PM
auntiebuzzybee
It's the Delta Leland faucet in stainless. The one I bought has some ceramic discs in the handles to make them move easiy for a very long time, supposedly. I went ahead and got that extra option because of my hands. Bought mine through Amazon. You know prices change all the time and at the time it was cheaper to buy there than Home Depot or Lowes, although the Big Box Stores will price match..anyway this faucet is perfection on this sink
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0073CLVCY:
0 Likes   November 30, 2014 at 3:14PM
auntiebuzzybee
"oh, bother" Let's try this from the Delta site
http://m.deltafaucet.com/product/details/3578-MPU-DST.html
0 Likes   November 30, 2014 at 3:18PM
toatsmcgoats
That's a super cute faucet
0 Likes   November 30, 2014 at 3:58PM
toatsmcgoats
Auntie that pedestal sink metal stand is like over 400 bucks :(
0 Likes   November 30, 2014 at 4:01PM
auntiebuzzybee
did you shop it all over? Cyber Monday tomorrow. Which finish did you choose? prices differ with finish.
0 Likes   November 30, 2014 at 4:36PM
0 Likes   November 30, 2014 at 4:45PM
rredpenn
that is indeed a very toatsy sink. :)
Did y'all survive the Food Fest, toats? Hoping your gut didn't give way... :p
1 Like   November 30, 2014 at 5:03PM
Depo SD
Hi Toats, is your BIL going to spray on that shower paint? I recently used it on a tile vanity top and it shows all of the brush strokes. It is very shiny and clean looking though. Make sure he has a good respirator, the fumes are horrible! (BTW, we went and ordered a new quartz vanity top on Fri, lol!).
1 Like   November 30, 2014 at 5:17PM
toatsmcgoats
ill shop around but def not gonna get my hopes up. ill prob just go with this one at 180 bucks lol.
1 Like   November 30, 2014 at 5:47PM
toatsmcgoats
rred, my tummy did survive thanksgiving! thank goodness!
2 Likes   November 30, 2014 at 5:48PM
toatsmcgoats
depo, i think hes gonna roll it on and brush the areas that cant be reached with a roller. i read a blog of someone who did it this way and it turned out great, so fingers crossed! I did buy him a respirator :)

show us your quartz top when its in!
1 Like   November 30, 2014 at 5:50PM
wilsonpark2
Auntie, I love your new sink and faucet! I actually considered buying that for the bath remodel we did on our previous home but decided to go with a different, nice but cheaper, model. I didn't want to leave it behind ;)

Toats, we had a bath floor once where the grout kept cracking. Turns out the floor wasn't completely flat. Ooookay...

That's a very nice looking bathroom - spacious, great window. It will be very, very nice when you are done with it. Thumbs up!
2 Likes   November 30, 2014 at 6:28PM
fissfiss
Toats, if you can find a plumbing warehouse selling their floor models, you can get amazing deals on sinks..one of our sinks in CO was $250 instead of $1250.... Of course, we needed 5, but hey, we'll take what we can get.
0 Likes   November 30, 2014 at 7:25PM
fissfiss
Let me rephrase that...the fancy powder room sink was $250 instead of $1250, and then we bought 4 much more reasonably full priced sinks as well!
0 Likes   November 30, 2014 at 7:28PM
fissfiss
Does that sink give you enough landing space for tooth brushes, etc?
1 Like   November 30, 2014 at 7:34PM
fissfiss
Anything can be turned into a sink base...
5 Likes   November 30, 2014 at 7:37PM
nwduck
Well, I think we can now look forward to Toats' bike bathroom.
1 Like   November 30, 2014 at 8:03PM
toatsmcgoats
Omg the bike. That's cool. The bathroom is actually tiny. The floor space is only 5ft x 5ft. So I think a pedestal sink will really open it up. I'm prob gonna build or buy a cabinet to put on the wall for toothbrushes etc... Something like that anyway.
0 Likes   November 30, 2014 at 8:07PM
0 Likes   November 30, 2014 at 8:25PM
auntiebuzzybee
I must have pushed some dang button on this tablet and now can't post any photos...arrrggghh
1 Like   November 30, 2014 at 8:28PM
toatsmcgoats
I don't think I can diy that. Awesome sink though, love it. Too bad it's 320 bucks. And I know that's not expensive but I reallly need to keep the budget LOW in here. The bathroom wasn't even in our budget this time but it just can't wait any longer.
0 Likes   November 30, 2014 at 8:33PM
auntiebuzzybee
not counting what black friday discount you may find, how about this?
http://www.build.com/american-standard-0282800/s10949
0 Likes   November 30, 2014 at 8:41PM
toatsmcgoats
It's nice but looks pretty much the same as the 180 dollar one but it's like 260.
0 Likes   November 30, 2014 at 8:44PM
auntiebuzzybee
I was thinking you could get this, then you could change the pedestal part out for the metal console in the future if you wanted. There's a different console stand for this one also that you could maybe DIY. It's white and wooden. Lemme track it down then I will quit pestering you : P
0 Likes   November 30, 2014 at 9:07PM
0 Likes   November 30, 2014 at 9:10PM
toatsmcgoats
OMG love that one too. You gots good taste auntie!
2 Likes   November 30, 2014 at 9:17PM
auntiebuzzybee
Thanks for the pumpkin pie for breakfast, Toatsy. I enjoyed it especially without a utensil. Straight to the face : ))))) Missing those leftovers gets me thinking...
1 Like   November 30, 2014 at 9:38PM
fissfiss
Turkey tetrazzini at my house tonight, Auntie...
1 Like   December 1, 2014 at 4:00PM
toatsmcgoats
idk what turkey tetrazzini is but i would like to have some
1 Like   December 1, 2014 at 4:07PM
fissfiss
In my case, it's a very old James Beard recipe for chicken tetrazzini...cooked pasta with an incredibly rich cream sauce, with red bell peppers and leftover chopped turkey, covered by a layer of cheesy breadcrumbs....could substitute rice or rice pasta , and use a GF thickener instead of flour, and GF breadcrumbs....
0 Likes   December 1, 2014 at 4:24PM
Margaret Bee
Toats, have you thought about recreating the stand Auntie showed with galvanized pipe? You could get a stock sink from Lowes, make a skirt board and the legs could be galvanized pipes. Galvanized pipes take epoxy spray paint well, we made some towel racks for a friend and painted with black epoxy spray paint.

4 Likes   December 1, 2014 at 4:44PM
toatsmcgoats
omg fiss, sounds awesome! so is the leftover turkey still good? i wanted to make turkey chili tomorrow but was worried the leftover turkey is now too old?
0 Likes   December 1, 2014 at 4:47PM
toatsmcgoats
sounds cool margaret, but im thinking that its outta my league...ive never worked with piping before.
1 Like   December 1, 2014 at 4:48PM
Margaret Bee
Toats my 83 year old dad was with us last week, he needed grab bars in the throne room, I only had two, he needed three. I had a leftover towel rack made of galvanized pipe that had not been painted yet and used it as the third grab bar. My brother says it was proof that I am am a McGyver redneck!
6 Likes   December 1, 2014 at 4:54PM
fissfiss
My rule for leftovers is that on the 7th day you chuck them....so your turkey should still be fine. Ours was only cooked on Sunday, we were away for the day, but I still needed to cook a turkey for Beloved!
1 Like   Thanked by toatsmcgoats    December 1, 2014 at 4:55PM
toatsmcgoats
you rock margaret!!!
3 Likes   December 1, 2014 at 5:00PM
rredpenn
My kid asked the teacher about a school lunch one day..."What is Turkey Tetrazzini?" and the teacher, who was on the chubby side, replied in a sort-of Yogi Bear way, "I-I-I-I-I like it!"

Kid came home with that little story, laughing at her--of course, she liked it!
(But what IS it??)

Thereafter, whenever a new food was served, or questioned, we just told the kids, "I like it!"
2 Likes   December 1, 2014 at 7:31PM
auntiebuzzybee
Oh Rred!!!
0 Likes   December 1, 2014 at 8:21PM
auntiebuzzybee
Margaret, that IS brilliant plus we want to keep Toatsy challenged. And find out the full extent of her talent if there are any boundaries, that is : ) Toatsy, hey, you could do it if that's the look you want...black pipe would be saaaaweett. What I showed you was inexpensive compared to the Kohler and other stands. I have seen it in black too.

Hey Margaret Bee! Good to see you.
3 Likes   December 1, 2014 at 8:34PM
auntiebuzzybee
you tube? do you do tubes on you tube?
1 Like   December 1, 2014 at 8:37PM
toatsmcgoats
You guys I tried to free hand knit a bunny and it turned into a duck. True story.
16 Likes   December 1, 2014 at 9:03PM
0 Likes   December 1, 2014 at 9:04PM
nwduck
I see nothing at all wrong with your bunny-duck.
4 Likes   December 1, 2014 at 9:15PM
toatsmcgoats
lol i was toats reminded of you nwduck!
1 Like   December 1, 2014 at 9:16PM
fissfiss
If I tried to knit a bunny, it would morph into a dishcloth, and it wouldn't look neat and pretty like Toats' dishcloths!
6 Likes   December 2, 2014 at 5:00AM
stryker
Rabbit...duck? It's all in how you look at things.

Your knitted ducky is very cute.
10 Likes   December 2, 2014 at 5:39AM
Margaret Bee
Canadian Goose ?
2 Likes   December 2, 2014 at 6:44AM
toatsmcgoats
sure, why not :)
0 Likes   December 2, 2014 at 6:58AM
soccerates
Aflaaaack!
3 Likes   December 2, 2014 at 12:05PM
zazfuzzroc
oh, I love that duckie toats, he has a cute little face. The hat is cute too. I'm bad with stuffies....I still have a bunch. lol :)
1 Like   December 2, 2014 at 1:21PM
fissfiss
So a goose of any species born in Canada is a Canadian Goose...the annoying species, Branta canadesis, which winters in my garden because one of my neighbors feeds them, is a Canada goose....useless information with which to impress/ annoy friends and relatives over the holidays.
2 Likes   December 2, 2014 at 2:16PM
toatsmcgoats
I left my hanging planters up too long, now some chickadees made a nest in one. Too cute to disturb.

My bunny came out pretty cute I gotta show you guys.
2 Likes   December 2, 2014 at 2:19PM
zazfuzzroc
Please do???? :)
0 Likes   December 2, 2014 at 2:20PM
fissfiss
I have more useless information about Canada geese...there is a hunting season for them in Maine...and Beloved's orthopedist assures me that one can get a special permit for "nuisance" geese.
1 Like   December 2, 2014 at 3:10PM
fissfiss
I'm a little bit "bill Murray from Caddyshack" about the beasts!
0 Likes   December 2, 2014 at 3:12PM
juliab51
We have a friend whose retirement job is keeping them off golf courses. He basically walks a couple of courses a day with his border collie and harasses them in a never-ending attempt to keep the greens and fairways clean!
1 Like   December 2, 2014 at 3:37PM
rredpenn
That is what I wanna do when I grow up--chase geese with my dogs!
2 Likes   December 2, 2014 at 3:54PM
marjie1059
Great way to walk the dog! Wait a minute--do you mean he gets paid to do this?? Put me in line for that job. Seems redundant, but no more so than changing diapers or washing dishes or putting gas in the car...and if he gets paid to keep away those nasty critters, more power to him!
0 Likes   December 2, 2014 at 4:13PM
juliab51
He does get paid! I don't know the details, but he is a retired greenskeeper himself, and has a contract to chase geese. He got the border collie for the job. Their other dog was too small and old to do the work properly.
0 Likes   December 2, 2014 at 4:20PM
fissfiss
I'm not sure Seamus is alpha enough to not be intimidated...plus, he enjoys their excrement and might be distracted...dogs are cute, but gross.
1 Like   December 2, 2014 at 4:25PM
toatsmcgoats
Just finished his scarf. The bunny is complete.
18 Likes   December 2, 2014 at 5:50PM
zazfuzzroc
If I was close....that duckie would be ......mine! I luv it! :)
0 Likes   December 2, 2014 at 5:57PM
zazfuzzroc
We likes it!!!! And it's wearin blue!!!!! My fav!!!!
0 Likes   Thanked by toatsmcgoats    December 2, 2014 at 5:59PM
toatsmcgoats
thanks zaz!
1 Like   December 2, 2014 at 6:00PM
zazfuzzroc
Really! Do you sell them or is it yours? :) It is soooo cute and blue. :) Great work!
0 Likes   December 2, 2014 at 6:07PM
toatsmcgoats
oh, he's goin in my shop for sure. thats how i started my shop, i kept knitting animals, and well, you can only have so many knitted animals....so i decided to sell em.
1 Like   December 2, 2014 at 6:15PM
zazfuzzroc
I've heard of your shop.....but I don't think I've been there. :(
0 Likes   December 2, 2014 at 6:21PM
toatsmcgoats
heres my shop zaz, its pretty empty. all my time went to home reno instead of knitting this year :( https://www.etsy.com/shop/CockeCountyCreations?ref=hdr_shop_menu

but if you look at my sales you can see the things ive created: https://www.etsy.com/shop/CockeCountyCreations/sold?ref=shopinfo_sales_leftnav
2 Likes   December 2, 2014 at 6:32PM
zazfuzzroc
Thanks toats,,,,,maybe duckie will be mine! lol :)
0 Likes   December 2, 2014 at 6:43PM
toatsmcgoats
zaz, if you ever want something from my shop give me a heads up first, my houzz friends def get discounts!
1 Like   December 2, 2014 at 6:45PM
zazfuzzroc
Thank you toats! That's nice of you. I must say...nice work. But of the ones you sold....I think the stacked sheep-pig-chicken is sooo cute. i love that too. :)
0 Likes   Thanked by toatsmcgoats    December 2, 2014 at 6:51PM
makaloco
Adorable, Toats. I was kinda sitting here trying to wrap my mind around the prices (e.g., $610.47 for a sock monkey) until I realized Etsy was serving them to me in pesos, lol.
3 Likes   Thanked by toatsmcgoats    December 2, 2014 at 7:10PM
marjie1059
Toats, I appreciate the links to your shop. I had no idea you were on etsy as well as redoing your entire house....or almost. So many of those little creatures are so endearing! Loved just looking at all of the pictures.
2 Likes   Thanked by toatsmcgoats    December 2, 2014 at 7:13PM
toatsmcgoats
pesos lol! thats hilarious.

thanks guys, its always so nice to hear when peeps like my work :)
2 Likes   December 2, 2014 at 7:15PM
fissfiss
The owl painting lives at my house!
0 Likes   December 2, 2014 at 7:17PM
toatsmcgoats
hope you're loving judgmental owl fiss :)
1 Like   December 2, 2014 at 7:19PM
makaloco
I love the floppy calico cat! Unfortunately, so would my dog. :(
1 Like   December 2, 2014 at 7:37PM
rredpenn
I'm in line for a painting.... ahem.... :)

You've got lotta time. We just got the walls up. Not ready for pictures for a long time yet.
1 Like   December 2, 2014 at 7:56PM
toatsmcgoats
i havent forgotten rred :)
1 Like   December 2, 2014 at 7:57PM
stryker
toats, OMG those things you knit are so cute. I don't know how you do that. It's sculpting with yarn.

We don't live all that far apart. I'm in Asheville.
1 Like   December 3, 2014 at 5:54AM
toatsmcgoats
thanks stryker! i love asheville, especially all of the awesome antique shops!
1 Like   December 3, 2014 at 5:56AM
marjie1059
Reading about the knitting process (I agree, stryker, it's sculpting with yarn) reminds me a bit of needle felting. I did not know about needle felting until a local festival included in its new crafters a needle felter from Scotland. (Unfortunately, she is replacing a weaver from Scotland who no longer will be coming over for the show....Later will post a picture of the weaving I bought this year.)
1 Like   December 3, 2014 at 6:26AM
kathytaffy
Your critters are beyond cute Toats!!
They each have personalities!
1 Like   Thanked by toatsmcgoats    December 3, 2014 at 2:17PM
rredpenn
Toats and Stryker...you should have a smeet! An hour and 15 min apart? Just a mountain range between ya?
4 Likes   December 4, 2014 at 4:39AM
mkritt
I am constantly amazed at all the talent your tiny little self possesses toats...all your amazing rooms, your fuzzy critters...I think you need to be a "story" here on Houzz.
5 Likes   Thanked by toatsmcgoats    December 4, 2014 at 8:03AM
unwantedadvice
Toats, what adorable hand knitted "sculptures" you make! I love them all and you're super talented and self-taught to boot! Excellent work and your "bunny" turned out quite well. :)

Anyone remember mousemaker?? She would have loved your examples. :)
2 Likes   Thanked by toatsmcgoats    December 4, 2014 at 8:28AM
toatsmcgoats
Got meself a paint sprayer :)
Gonna make painting the shower and chairs and beds and everything easier I hope!
7 Likes   December 4, 2014 at 1:44PM
bubbasgma
Uh.Oh.
6 Likes   December 4, 2014 at 1:46PM
toatsmcgoats
LOL
2 Likes   December 4, 2014 at 1:50PM
juliab51
Having a sprayer is going to be like having a pressure washer. Once you start it is hard to stop. Look out, Willie!
5 Likes   December 4, 2014 at 3:48PM
bubbasgma
Mmmm.Hmmm.
3 Likes   December 4, 2014 at 4:05PM
Barnhart Gallery
Hi toats -- Haven't read this thread, so not commenting, other than to pass this along to you:
http://www.westelm.com/products/mrk-market-tote-bag-totes-ma-goats-d1098/?pkey=call-sale&cm_src=all-sale||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-
8 Likes   Thanked by toatsmcgoats    December 4, 2014 at 4:34PM
toatsmcgoats
OMG barnhart thanks! im SO ordering it!
17 Likes   December 4, 2014 at 5:17PM
bubbasgma
ahahahahaha! PERFECT!!!!
2 Likes   December 4, 2014 at 5:19PM
fissfiss
Oh, my Goats!
1 Like   December 4, 2014 at 9:43PM
auntiebuzzybee
Hey Barnhardt!!! I have been wondering where you and darling boy Everest have been! Come hang out a bit! Toats is just getting warmed up :-)
0 Likes   December 5, 2014 at 1:08AM
auntiebuzzybee
Besides you are painting outside of house in the spring, right?
0 Likes   December 5, 2014 at 1:10AM
rredpenn
haha "So easy--it's SIMPLE!" (ie--Is it too good to be true?)
I don't think that thing is big enough for an exterior house job...but maybe great for a shower or a black chair that needs to be buttah! Please video how it works, toats...I'm very curious!
4 Likes   December 5, 2014 at 5:37AM
toatsmcgoats
okay so im thinking of this one. i love it in chrome. its DEF more than i have allotted myself budget wise....but i really want it lol!
8 Likes   December 5, 2014 at 7:58AM
bubbasgma
A christmas present!
2 Likes   December 5, 2014 at 8:02AM
juliab51
That's a great little sink. I love that it has the glass shelf and towel bars.

On an unrelated note, I just returned from an art fair where I bought this little 8 x 10 matted print. I was inspired by something I saw on houzz...
6 Likes   December 5, 2014 at 1:34PM
toatsmcgoats
Love it julia! It's adorbs :)
0 Likes   December 5, 2014 at 1:35PM
toatsmcgoats
So we've ripped all of the trim out of the bathroom and scraped and skim coated the upper walls 3 times. I'm planning on planking the lower walls. Walls are curing and next step will be to paint that shower on monday.

Oh, and were building a cabinet for the hall just outside the bathroom to house towels and toilet paper and all that. Or I should say we WERE building a cabinet, my air compressor just died "&$!@&!!!!
1 Like   December 5, 2014 at 1:40PM
zazfuzzroc
Oh no, and just after you bought a sprayer. Isn't that the way it goes. :(
0 Likes   December 5, 2014 at 2:23PM
fissfiss
Christmas is coming? A gifting opportunity for Mr. Toats?
0 Likes   December 5, 2014 at 4:07PM
auntiebuzzybee
I looked at that sink too, Toats. Actually was a toss up between the two. The chrome finish on items is less expensive so maybe this will help on the budget. This one doesn't have quiet the space on top and the shelf on the bottom is not as large nor is the glass in a frame. My sister talked me into the one I showed you. This one seems a bit more delicate with shape of the legs and thick, oval basin. I love them both but have not seen that one in person. Shop it for prices. As I said, I bought mine in two different places, the basin from one place and the console, stand from another place. Nice, Toats! It will look so pefect in there. Sometimes a room just screams for a certain unique something. It will look great with your tile.
0 Likes   December 5, 2014 at 4:15PM
auntiebuzzybee
I think this one comes with a drain assembly and you wouldn't have to buy towel rings or bars....
1 Like   December 5, 2014 at 4:27PM
toatsmcgoats
thanks auntie! i think itll be just right too :)

no worries, mr toats knows i cant live without an air compressor, ill have a new tank by monday!

heres the cabinet were building, but were building it larger (taller). i hope it comes out nice.
7 Likes   December 5, 2014 at 4:31PM
Margaret Bee
Toats, isn't fabulous to have man that loves you! My hubs bought me a new belt sander last year. :)
6 Likes   December 5, 2014 at 4:34PM
Margaret Bee
Love the cabinet!
1 Like   December 5, 2014 at 4:35PM
toatsmcgoats
it is margaret!
1 Like   December 5, 2014 at 4:35PM
toatsmcgoats
im just a bit worried it will be top heavy since were building it taller...might have to anchor the back to the wall???
0 Likes   December 5, 2014 at 4:36PM
auntiebuzzybee
here is a mirror that you can save towards if you like it to blend with that chrome console
http://www.lampsplus.com/products/pocelona-white-porcelain-accented-chrome-30-inch-high-mirror__48788.html

If you have an Old World Pottery around, they really do have a large selection of mirrors at a good price. Check them out...And mirrors are so versatile in that one you may buy now can be moved when you you find the one you really want.

You guys are bulding the above cabinet??? WOW! It's every bit as much detailed as anything we have said, "hey Toats, build this!" and then you say you can't do! Silly girl! Is that for towels, toiletries, etc in the bathroom? This is not the console for the sink is it?
0 Likes   December 5, 2014 at 4:39PM
auntiebuzzybee
Margaret, I echo Toats, "you rock!!!"
1 Like   December 5, 2014 at 4:40PM
toatsmcgoats
that mirror is awesome auntie, thanks!

right, the cabinet were building is big, its actually an armoire. it will live in the hallway just outside the bathroom and house towels, toiletries, etc cause theres no room in the small bathroom for any of that stuff and theres no linen closet upstairs either.
0 Likes   December 5, 2014 at 4:44PM
Margaret Bee
Toats, if you are on a budget I went simple with the mirror in the bathroom in our bonus room, was stock from lowes. We put some pine tongue and groove behind it to jazz it up a bit. Love the bling in your example, but I am a stickler for budget. I drive hubs nuts trying to save a dime.
8 Likes   December 5, 2014 at 4:52PM
Margaret Bee
In the guest bath downstairs I made the mirror out of clearance glass tiles.
9 Likes   December 5, 2014 at 4:55PM
toatsmcgoats
omg thats awesome margaret! what did you use to frame out the mirror on the outside edges?
2 Likes   December 5, 2014 at 4:56PM
Margaret Bee
I took a mirror mounted it on 1/2 inch plywood and framed it with 1 1/4 trim. Needed anchors to hang it LOL! It was a subtle way to introduce glass tile in that bathroom without breaking the bank.
1 Like   December 5, 2014 at 5:00PM
toatsmcgoats
its really lovely margaret and so well executed. im impressed :)
1 Like   December 5, 2014 at 5:04PM
toatsmcgoats
i know what you mean about heavy stuff, those tree panels i made were crazy heavy and required some serious hardware and anchors.
1 Like   December 5, 2014 at 5:05PM
mspo
Hi Toats, I was on your other thread about your granite counter, but it seems you havent been there in a bit, so I am here to ask you how you like your granite counters. I read that you came to a resolution of sorts about the problems. I have picked the exact same granite. We still don't have cabinets installed. No kitchen since February here. The granite has a definite diagonal pattern. Do you find it overwhelming at all or is it on the soft side and not noticed? I saw your pictures on your other thread. I know pictures are one thing, but seeing in person is another.
0 Likes   December 6, 2014 at 6:22AM
auntiebuzzybee
Margaret is awesome. She's awesome in person too : )
1 Like   December 6, 2014 at 10:09AM
toatsmcgoats
Mspo, I love my granite. I can't believe you're still without a kitchen! You poor thing! The diagonal pattern on the granite is def not overwhelming. It's there, but the gray is soft and it's really beautiful. You're going to love it.
0 Likes   December 6, 2014 at 5:54PM
mspo
Toats, I am so glad you love your granite! The first time I saw mine, I fell in love with it and that was back in June. I put money down to hold it, never thinking it would take this long to install our kitchen. I was getting "cold-feet-granite-syndrome" the other day when i remembered your granite is the same as the one I picked out. It really helps me to know how it looks in person. Thank you! Good luck with your projects in your home. It looks fabulous! I wish I had your energy!
0 Likes   December 7, 2014 at 4:48AM
toatsmcgoats
Holding off on painting shower till we get the planking up. We got one wall done today and most of the window trim.
4 Likes   December 9, 2014 at 1:09PM
toatsmcgoats
im copying what this lady did...
http://www.addicted2decorating.com/bathroom-makeover-day-8-faux-wood-plank-walls-part-2.html

heres a pic of her finished walls.
6 Likes   December 9, 2014 at 1:17PM
toatsmcgoats
Wasn't that so helpful of damnit to open the box of tile for me?!
11 Likes   December 10, 2014 at 7:36AM
bubbasgma
Hey.....I know that cat!!! ;)
2 Likes   December 10, 2014 at 7:45AM
auntiebuzzybee
Can I PLEASE have that cat, Toats???
4 Likes   December 10, 2014 at 9:04AM
toatsmcgoats
You'd be sorry you asked auntie!
1 Like   December 10, 2014 at 9:39AM
toatsmcgoats
Today we planked behind the toilet and finished the window and door trim. We also took the door out and turned it around so now it swings out into the hall freeing up the wall space between the door and vanity. It's such a small change and idk if you can tell from the pics, but it really makes the bathroom look larger :)
4 Likes   December 10, 2014 at 1:26PM
zazfuzzroc
Good move toats, smart. :) How's the light hunt going? :)
0 Likes   Thanked by toatsmcgoats    December 10, 2014 at 1:28PM
toatsmcgoats
light hunt is still going and will be for a while with all those pots o' sauce to go!
1 Like   December 10, 2014 at 1:29PM
Nancy Walton
Idk why I haven't been getting notices for this thread, but I'm posting so I will start getting them again.
2 Likes   December 10, 2014 at 2:36PM
bubbasgma
NancyW...A few months ago, Houzz made some program changes involving the "frequency" that email notifications are sent out. If you go to "Your Houzz", and check "Your Settings"...there is now a place to select how often you want to receive them. ;)
1 Like   December 10, 2014 at 2:49PM
fissfiss
You're going to be able to ballroom dance in there!
0 Likes   December 10, 2014 at 2:53PM
toatsmcgoats
Not likely! You should see the positions I get myself into in an attempt to get a decent photo of the postage stamp sized bathroom. I was all crammed into the back corner of the tub lol.
3 Likes   December 10, 2014 at 3:05PM
marjie1059
Where oh where, toats, do you get the energy for all this?! You never stop!
I'm exhausted just reading about your projects...oh yeah, it's after midnight here. Maybe if I got enough sleep it would help. Seriously, though....I think about what needs to be done and I don't know how, don't have the tools, the energy, the money, the helpers (WILLING helpers, that is). I'm done before I start. Kudos to you on your energy and vision and perseverance in getting things done. Great idea on switching the bathroom door. Hope it's not in your way that way! (That would definitely not work in my house, but I've thought of it. A pocket door won't work, either.)
3 Likes   December 10, 2014 at 9:30PM
toatsmcgoats
marjie, i remember when i just started doin stuff on my own. i just got tired of waiting for mr toats to do something, or to help me with something, that i just started doing things on my own. i just kept learning by googling everthing! and i kept buying tools when i needed them, buying a tool at a time, just what i needed for my current project, and it was really affordable that way. and yeah, there have been problems along the way, like the time i was drywalling a bathroom and screwed a drywall screw RIGHT INTO THE WATER LINE. or the time i was switching out a light switch and shocked myself into next week! anyway, it was a slow process (still is), and you get what you pay for, but one thing i learned is that having a helper is totally a convenience and not a necessity! :)
5 Likes   December 11, 2014 at 6:54AM
fissfiss
Marjie, don't you homeschool a couple of bajillion children? I wouldn't have the energy or the patience for that!
2 Likes   December 11, 2014 at 6:58AM
toatsmcgoats
oh and as far as the energy, lots of coffee, and it helps that i dont have a jobbie job, so lots o' free time!
1 Like   December 11, 2014 at 7:00AM
toatsmcgoats
exactly fiss, thats amazing! way harder than home improvement stuff!
1 Like   December 11, 2014 at 7:00AM
bubbasgma
Someone say "Coffee"?
1 Like   December 11, 2014 at 7:32AM
toatsmcgoats
i did :)
2 Likes   December 11, 2014 at 7:34AM
janetmm59
Just to follow...
12 Likes   December 11, 2014 at 7:35AM
fissfiss
Time for my last cup...then I have to drive 20 miles back to Whole foods and explain that I only bought 12 bottles, not 12 cases of Pellegrino! You'd think I might have noticed at the cash register, but food is so freaking expensive out here...and I was dehydrated and hungry and at altitude!
5 Likes   December 11, 2014 at 7:44AM
mkritt
You are my inspiration toats.

Many moons ago when we first moved into this house, I decided we needed to replace all the old trim in this house. So I pulled it all off (I'm good at demolition)...and waited...and waited...for other half to put it back. Pffff that wasn't happening so I got the miter saw out and learned how to do it. I also planed wood I could reuse, sanded and restained all the doors, and removed every bit of popcorn from the ceilings. I also redid our kitchen cabinets to update them from the '80s. Sent the kids to school, tackled a project.

Then I went to work for 16 years. Somehow lost my mojo. Now I've been home for 4 years, have several big projects I think I could do. We've got the tools, heck I can read instructions...

The purpose of this ramble is to tell you that with every project you do, I get that much closer to getting up the nerve I used to have and go for it!!

First project...master bathroom shower...worst case scenario...I have to share my bathroom with a boy...ewwwww
6 Likes   December 11, 2014 at 8:02AM
Denise McCabe
Put pattern or just color in back of open cabinet that will give you interest then add more color with knickknacks! You choice color you like, you can keep lighter color to keep your vision.
0 Likes   December 11, 2014 at 8:25AM
bubbasgma
Fissy...I bought 12 cans of cat food...they charged me for 12 jugs of cat litter! And I just signed the slip too!!
4 Likes   December 11, 2014 at 8:34AM
mkritt
Fiss and bubba, your comments made me go and look at my grocery bill from yesterday... dang it...unfortunately I just spent that much :-(

Now I have to go get my haircut....PLEASE don't let me come home looking like Peter Pan!!
3 Likes   December 11, 2014 at 9:59AM
makaloco
12 cases of Pellegrino, 12 jugs of cat litter … reminds me of the first time I used my US debit card in an ATM here in Mexico. I wanted $200 US worth of pesos, and since my account is in $US, I entered 200. The machine dutifully spit out 200 pesos (more like $20 US). Talk about feeling muy estupido!
2 Likes   December 11, 2014 at 10:23AM
rredpenn
Looking good in the bathroom, toats!

My cat eats cardboard boxes open too....What is up with that? She is 18 and still plays with toys and jumps up on the counters...did I mention too that she never shuts up? Ever?
2 Likes   December 11, 2014 at 12:01PM
rredpenn
And forget about trying to wrap gifts up... she is right there....this is HER favorite time of year.
3 Likes   December 11, 2014 at 12:02PM
mkritt
I finally have gifts to wrap, but I hate to take away Lily's favorite spot. She's under the tree now. I'd just like the tree skirt to stay straight!

Forgot to mention the up side of my grocery bill. A lot of it was from the health market where on Wednesday's you save 10 cents a gallon for every $10 you spend. The next time I fill up I will save $.89 a gallon AND our gas right now is only $2.32 a gallon!! So it will be...let me get my calculator...$1.43 a gallon...whoa!!
2 Likes   December 11, 2014 at 12:22PM
fissfiss
Oh, my...I saved 44 cents a gallon just by gassing up in Glenwood instead of 40 miles up valley..
0 Likes   December 11, 2014 at 12:37PM
toatsmcgoats
This is what happens when you realize you don't have any wrapping paper or bows! Improvise!
7 Likes   December 11, 2014 at 1:14PM
toatsmcgoats
...at least I had tags!
3 Likes   December 11, 2014 at 1:16PM
ybxhctq
This thread is super duper long........... 1st. Love your kitchen redo!!! 2nd. what are you using and where did you find the planking material for your bath?
1 Like   Thanked by toatsmcgoats    December 11, 2014 at 1:23PM
soccerates
Nice job, Toats, on both the bathroom and gift wrapping. I know you're in TN but that's yankee ingenuity hahaha!
4 Likes   December 11, 2014 at 1:34PM
toatsmcgoats
thanks ybxhctq! kitchen's not done yet, ill get er done eventually! Im using hardboard on the bathroom walls, its at lowes (in the section where all the paneling sheets are) for like 9 bucks for a 4 ft by 8 ft sheet/board. i had the dude at lowes cut it into 6 inch strips for me cause i dont have a table saw (yet). i used paneling adhesive to glue them to the walls and popped a few little nails in them here and there, and i used 2 stacked pennies as spacers.
2 Likes   December 11, 2014 at 1:47PM
fissfiss
Some catalog companies use this eco friendly padding...I save it for funky wrapping paper, really good for awkward things!
Love the pompons!
Also, more manly bedding for the bunk room arrived...nephew (age 21) picked it out...and I've taught him to say Eurosham!
3 Likes   December 11, 2014 at 2:42PM
toatsmcgoats
LOVE the reindeer bedding!
1 Like   December 11, 2014 at 3:35PM
rredpenn
Fiss--I used that stuff from CandB to wrap gifts one year, and it looked so cool under the tree! Very "Toatsy-looking" eurosham/coverlet. Nephew did a good job! (Is he reading Houzz advice columns? :O )

Toats...I love that damnit gives presents to people. LOL :)
1 Like   December 11, 2014 at 3:58PM
toatsmcgoats
he does rred, he does :)
0 Likes   December 11, 2014 at 6:23PM
auntiebuzzybee
Soooo, you are going to give him to me??? Dang he's beautimus!!!

Toats, that door you flipped, is there anything further down the hall past that door??? Mine hangs out like that (before I moved here) and I HATE IT. Yep, that daang door is always hanging open and I'm constantly having to close the door as it is in the way of the entrance to a bedroom. That's where I LONG for your barn door...a barn door, a pocket door, for the door to hand the other way opening into the room BUT, nope, nope nope. I've been told there is no solution since the ppl before me 20+ years ago remuddled it , bumped it out and nowI have a door that hangs out looking "bleh". Just saying, you may not love it later especially if you have to get around it like I do. Gotta give it a try though and live with it a bit. I feel like I can't leave a robe or anything on the hooks because then thats hanging out in the hallway too. See. I need your bifold doors. I may someday do beads, HA!

Are you doing the planking white? Sorry if you already said. I missed that somewhere. See I did my bath wall about 52" up but in the creamy white 4x8 subway tile and trim. Let me tell you what, my bathroom ended up looking twice the size by the time I changed vanities to glass and did the walls and shower all in the creamy white and frameless tub and shower door. You will be amazed. It's going to look fantastic, Toats.

Oh, Damnit, I want a black kitty, a goofy one just like you.
1 Like   December 11, 2014 at 7:55PM
Lainie D'Eon
@toats ... awesome job!!! You are such an "energizer bunny"! Thinking of you freezer .. is it possible to change the door handle to the right side? know that most fridges have that option.
0 Likes   December 11, 2014 at 8:48PM
toatsmcgoats
thanks lainie! unfortunately, the freezer door is not switchable : /
0 Likes   December 12, 2014 at 5:15AM
toatsmcgoats
auntie, i may talk a good game about wanting my animals gone, but the reality is i wouldnt give em up for the world :)

theres nothing past the door i flipped, the bathroom is at the end of the hall. sounds like youre in need of a real sliding barn door, that would drive me nuts too, having the door always hanging out in the hallway !

yup, planking will be white.
1 Like   December 12, 2014 at 5:21AM
fissfiss
Toats, I shipped Beloved and Seamus off on the same flight to CO, then followed them a couple of days later. The house was weirdly un homey and eerily quiet...although I was quite happy not to be fighting for bed space (Seamus), covers(Seamus), or listening to snoring(Beloved).
1 Like   December 12, 2014 at 11:41AM
toatsmcgoats
I can't imagine a day without Willie and damnit up my sh$t constantly! The old dog just sleeps all day.
3 Likes   December 12, 2014 at 3:05PM
toatsmcgoats
Got a lot of the cabinet done today :)
And painting cupcakes for my friends bakery!
8 Likes   December 12, 2014 at 3:16PM
rredpenn
No sprinkles? LOL That's pretty, Toats! I love the cupcake paper!

I got a cupcake from a fancy bakery as a thank-you from one of my students yesterday. It had a mound of frosting, and fancy sugar on it. I set it on the counter for after dinner.

Later, heard my cat eating something...! Almost half the frosting was gone. She's 18. There is no stopping her. At least it didn't make her sick.
1 Like   December 12, 2014 at 3:35PM
toatsmcgoats
they are goinna be very simple cupcakes cause i need to make 3 more plus another canvas with her bakery name on it : / ....all by the 20th!

too funny your cat ate all that frosting, damnit wouldnt touch it with a 10 foot pole....hes a cold cuts cat!
0 Likes   December 12, 2014 at 3:54PM
stryker
I was killing myself at work a few years ago. Got home late as usual. The cat was upset...where's my dinner!!! So I mix her half can of Fancy Feast with warm water, put it lovingly down, and then attend to making myself something to eat. I didn't have the energy to cook anything, so I made a salad and set it on the table. I leave for just a minute, and come back to find the cat eating my salad. She didn't touch her stuff. She wanted mine.
3 Likes   December 12, 2014 at 4:16PM
toatsmcgoats
lol, no way damnit would eat salad.
0 Likes   December 12, 2014 at 4:18PM
fissfiss
Seamus does not eat salad or other veggies that drop to the floor...Meat and cheese, please.
0 Likes   December 12, 2014 at 4:49PM
stryker
I think it was the salad dressing that she was enjoying. On the other hand, it was mine and so she wanted it. There are any number of comfortable seats in the house--she wants mine.
1 Like   December 12, 2014 at 5:03PM
rredpenn
Cats are simultaneously the most endearing and the most annoying animals on the planet.
4 Likes   December 12, 2014 at 5:16PM
rredpenn
Dogs are usually ok...they are sweet, and at least they listen when you tell them to go away.
1 Like   December 12, 2014 at 5:18PM
Nancy Walton
Ha! Try telling that to two Jack Russells!
3 Likes   December 12, 2014 at 5:33PM
toatsmcgoats
jack russels cannot be tamed.
1 Like   December 12, 2014 at 5:39PM
Nancy Walton
So you know about them, Toats? I think they are actually a cross between cats and dogs, LOL.
0 Likes   December 12, 2014 at 5:46PM
toatsmcgoats
i worked at a vet for years, plus i was a dog groomer for a while (omg messy job) and i took a course to learn dog training, so ive had my fair share of experience with dogs, and jack russels are just too smart for their own good! oh, and their energy level is like insane!
2 Likes   December 12, 2014 at 5:50PM
toatsmcgoats
the dog training course i took was crazy. the man who taught the course trained police dogs. i loved to watch the dogs do their bite work, where someone dresses up in that big padded suit and gets attacked. well, i thought i was a bad ass and decided one day that i wanted to get in that suit. and i did get in that suit. he had 2 humongous german shepards on leashes barking at me, frothing at the feakin mouth! he tells me to RUN! so i start running. this is not easy to do in a huge padded suit and a helmet made to fit a large man. so i guess i wasnt running fast enuf and he starts screamin at me to RUN GIRL RUNNNN!!!! and then he screams HERE THEY COME!!!! and i look back and all i see are those two dogs bolting straight for me, i was so freakin scared i dont know how i didnt soil myself. it was like slow motion watching them dig in there paws into the grass as they come towards me. i know i only looked back for a second, but it seemed like forever. i tried so hard to run really fast, like i was gonna out run them or something. and then it happened, they hit me so hard i flew like 3 feet into the air, I WENT AIRBORNE. thats what they told me anyway. ii just remember one second i was trying to run in this fat suit and the next i was on the ground with 2 dogs growling and gnawing and pulling on each padded arm. the trainer is now standing over me watching this and starts yelling at me "FIGHT GIRL FIGHT". i had no fight, i was like a ragdoll, the dogs were literally dragging me around at this point. it all must have been hilarious to see. to this day i am SO upset it wasnt caught on tape :(
7 Likes   December 12, 2014 at 6:08PM
makaloco
Wow, Toats, each one of them must've weighed more than you. =:O
1 Like   December 12, 2014 at 7:08PM
toatsmcgoats
No doubt. There was DEF something wrong with that man. One of those dogs would have been MORE than sufficient. I was bruised up all over for like 2 weeks!
1 Like   December 12, 2014 at 7:17PM
stryker
Even with the suit? Wow.
0 Likes   December 12, 2014 at 8:15PM
toatsmcgoats
yup, its amazing how much force a dog bite has. another time, well before that happened, i was working at a vet office while in high school and a cop brings in his dog for whatever. the dog had a muzzle on and its a good thing it did cause it obviously sensed my fear cause it was on me in 2 seconds flat. had me pinned up against the wall trying to eat my face. i was so shaken up and rattled, it took a while to regain my confidence. police dogs are unstable. never try to be friendly to them, they are trained to bite.
1 Like   December 12, 2014 at 8:22PM
marjie1059
Just read a book by a man who's trained dogs for the military for years. Amazing what they can do, detecting IEDs as well as humans...saved dozens and dozens of lives. The training includes people working in the bite suits--difficult work, but so necessary. Can't imagine that happening to you.
0 Likes   December 12, 2014 at 8:22PM
toatsmcgoats
and yeah, i know lots of cops love their dogs and they live with their family and all, but in my opinion....nope.
0 Likes   December 12, 2014 at 8:23PM
toatsmcgoats
marjie, its prob the craziest thing ive ever done!
0 Likes   December 12, 2014 at 8:24PM
fissfiss
That's saying a lot Toats, woman who repaints kitchen minutes before company comes!
1 Like   December 13, 2014 at 7:16AM
juliab51
My daughter has a gorgeous 90 lb. German Shepherd, a real sweetheart, but every time I see him I think, "My, what big teeth you have!"
1 Like   December 13, 2014 at 7:21AM
rredpenn
lol that had me in tears picturing you running in a fat suit away from two trained attack dogs! Airborne indeed!

The only dog that has ever bitten me like he meant it was a German shepherd...he was 16, and had only two teeth left, but he got me by the calf and I had to drop two full horse feed bins on him so he'd let go. (I was carrying two giant bowls full of grain for the horses out of the barn he was tied to. He thought I was stealing something maybe?) I was 13, and it was my first day on the "job". My boss, the German "nutzi", laughed and said in his thick accent, "Patton can't bite-- he only has TWO teeth!" -- but later that night, I saw he'd pierced right through my jeans and still have the scar from the puncture. Patton and I became best buds after that, tho.
2 Likes   December 13, 2014 at 7:27AM
toatsmcgoats
Ouch rred! That's scary. Being bitten is not fun. German Shepards may be fierce but the meanest orneriest nastiest biter I've ever known is my best friends chihuahua! Rotten to the core!

Here's a pic of what my befri sees when she looks at him, and a pic of what I see.
6 Likes   December 13, 2014 at 8:08AM
makaloco
A buddy of mine owned a sporting club in the country and had two big German Shepherd guard dogs. They were confined during the day when outsiders were around but loose at night. I helped take care of them when the family was away, so they knew me well. Anyhow, the two of us and the dogs were sitting there one evening when a woman turned up unannounced with a small yappy dog, also loose. Chaos ensued, and both big dogs soon had the little intruder in their jaws. My friend yelled that he'd grab the female and I should grab the (bigger, more aggressive) male. I did as I was told and we successfully rescued the little dog, who wasn't injured. I was, though. Big Bad Dog didn't bite me, but one of his canine teeth got caught in my ring when I was trying to pry his jaws open and tore the crap out of my finger. So I asked my friend why **I** had to be the one to grab Big Bad Dog. He said, "Because his teeth are all worn down from chewing rocks (true) and I figured he couldn't hurt you much." And they say chivalry is dead, lol.
5 Likes   December 13, 2014 at 11:10AM
toatsmcgoats
Well, every year my friends chihuahua has less teeth, it's always good news to hear !
2 Likes   December 13, 2014 at 11:13AM
toatsmcgoats
Funny thing is, I've watched her chi for her while she's away and he won't bite me if she's not around. But as soon as she's in the picture he turns into a snapping turtle.
4 Likes   December 13, 2014 at 11:16AM
rredpenn
You gotta frame that scarychi up! That goes well with your ummm collection! LOLOLOL

Did YOU do that to the picture?? LOLOL Still laughing here!
1 Like   December 13, 2014 at 11:58AM
Lainie D'Eon
toatsmcgoats .. that is the scariest photo shopped "doggie" I have seen!!! Still laughing...
2 Likes   December 13, 2014 at 12:12PM
stryker
"...he turns into a snapping turtle." Too funny! I can't stop laughing about your picture up there either. I can't decide whether he's The Terminator or a flesh eating Zombie Dog.
6 Likes   December 13, 2014 at 12:31PM
Joanne Maurer
I love this so much....very organic..how did you make the pom poms?
0 Likes   Thanked by toatsmcgoats    December 13, 2014 at 2:48PM
toatsmcgoats
I did do the photoshop on the mutt. It is appropriate.

Joanne, Pom poms are super easy to make with a Pom pom maker :)
1 Like   December 13, 2014 at 6:59PM
Joanne Maurer
That is so cool...they are lovely presents and beautifully wrapped. Thank you
1 Like   December 13, 2014 at 7:11PM
toatsmcgoats
Cabinet is nearly done! Just needs a couple shelves inside and paint.
10 Likes   December 15, 2014 at 2:43PM
zazfuzzroc
Lookin' good toats. What color are you painting it?
0 Likes   December 15, 2014 at 2:44PM
toatsmcgoats
White of course :)

Unless I change my mind.....
5 Likes   December 15, 2014 at 2:45PM
fissfiss
A color inside?
4 Likes   December 15, 2014 at 4:18PM
toatsmcgoats
....i could do a color inside :)

like what color though?
1 Like   December 15, 2014 at 4:19PM
juliab51
A more pale version of the blue in the quilt room.
3 Likes   December 15, 2014 at 4:23PM
fissfiss
Whatever floats your boat!
1 Like   December 15, 2014 at 5:46PM
toatsmcgoats
Maybe hot pink!
0 Likes   December 15, 2014 at 6:16PM
fissfiss
If it floats your goat, then definitely hot pink!
0 Likes   December 15, 2014 at 7:33PM
toatsmcgoats
these.
these float my goat.
3 Likes   December 15, 2014 at 8:04PM
zazfuzzroc
You could apply them with elmers to the inside of the cabinet, but I bet if Mr Toats found out you'll be making a lot more eggplant. Lol ;)
2 Likes   December 15, 2014 at 8:11PM
toatsmcgoats
HA!
1 Like   December 15, 2014 at 8:12PM
wilsonpark2
Hey Toats! I am in a pre-wedding fog for the month of December (DD #1 getting married NY's Eve) but I am sneaking a quick look at your and Rred's dilemmas. Did you finish the buttah chairs? Is the kitchen all done? Now it's bathroom and cabinets - cowabunga, Dude! If we weren't wedding poor right now, I would have bought myself your Duck Bunny - he is the cutest, quirkiest little guy :)
0 Likes   December 15, 2014 at 8:19PM
wilsonpark2
Oh yeah re Denzel. I would love to see that face every time I opened that cabinet. Fer sure.
1 Like   December 15, 2014 at 8:21PM
fissfiss
Mike Rowe, but only if he brings Freddy!
0 Likes   December 15, 2014 at 8:50PM
zazfuzzroc
Guess I'm the outsider....I'm still a John Cena fan. Lol :)
0 Likes   December 15, 2014 at 8:53PM
toatsmcgoats
Good choice zaz, good choice.
4 Likes   December 15, 2014 at 8:59PM
toatsmcgoats
Hey Wilson! I haven't finished the chairs yet. I still need to acquire a few! Kitchens almost done, need the chairs, curtains , finishing touches. Hope you're having a blast wedding planning:)
1 Like   December 15, 2014 at 9:02PM
zazfuzzroc
Oh Yay! You saw that before, I should have guessed! Lol :) I'm not alone!!!! :D I have one I could show you of John, but I don't want your dilemma shut down because of me. Lol :) He's in his "tight boxers", get my drift? Lol :)
0 Likes   December 15, 2014 at 9:03PM
nwduck
I must say, Wilsonpark, I really want that Duckbunny. I've no wedding to pay for. Toats, I went to your etsy shop to try to tell you, but it was a WTH email registry. Will you sell him to me?
0 Likes   December 15, 2014 at 10:24PM
toatsmcgoats
nwduck, were you able to view the other duck too? , i made a white one as well. of course id sell him to you! discounted of course, Houzz buddies get 20% off :)
0 Likes   December 15, 2014 at 10:37PM
zazfuzzroc
Oh no....not the duck bunny! Lol :0 I knew I shouldn't have waited. :)
0 Likes   December 15, 2014 at 10:44PM
rredpenn
toats, I think you should.make duckie a duckbunny wearing snazzy acid green Nike shoes. Just saying.... :-)
2 Likes   December 16, 2014 at 2:48PM
mkritt
well toats, I decided to start working on some of the projects around here. Thought maybe I'd start in the basement...turn it into a 20 year project rather than a 25 year one.

ugh..I'm going back to reading books and eating bonbons...poor Charlie was coated with drywall dust too...blech
7 Likes   December 16, 2014 at 3:32PM
toatsmcgoats
Nothin like drywallin in pajamas! A girl after my own heart :)
Keep posting pics of your progress, I love it. And your pooch is tre adorbs, such a sweet face.
4 Likes   December 16, 2014 at 4:12PM
rredpenn
Ha ha Kritter! Look at the couch...OH! I feel your pain! I really do. ICK on white dust. I cried when the drywallers did that to us during our remodel. I PAID for the garottage drywall to be done/cleaned up FOR me. I hate it that much.
1 Like   December 16, 2014 at 6:25PM
stryker
Good job, kritter!

The dog's face says to me, "When is this going to be over..."
2 Likes   December 16, 2014 at 6:31PM
stryker
toats, I really like this idea of having the inside of the cabinet be a different color, or pattern, or have some kind of visual surprise.
5 Likes   December 16, 2014 at 6:32PM
fissfiss
I'm allergic and I have asthma...we hire it out...And Kritter, Beloved would say something like " hunka, hunka, burning love" to that outfit! I drove cross country in my slippers to meet him in Oregon for Thanksgiving last year. He eye rolled at the slippers, so then I went to Nordstrom's, (Duckie will know it), to buy 4 pairs of more suitable footwear!
1 Like   December 16, 2014 at 7:06PM
juliab51
"some kind of visual surprise" Stryker, good idea. Toats, you could paint a cat peeking over your folded towels or a duckbunny sitting on a shelf...
5 Likes   December 17, 2014 at 6:54AM
wilsonpark2
Fiss - a drive across the country might just be worth 4 pairs of shoes from Nordies (as we call it out here)!

I am NOT a wedding mom type person but I love our daughter, she is being great about everything and it will be a fun wedding/party. If it kills me. Can't wait for Jan 1! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone :)
3 Likes   December 17, 2014 at 7:40AM
toatsmcgoats
Omg it looks like a bomb went off in my kitchen. It has become craft central. I'm just about done with the paintings for my friends bakery shop, and I all the sudden decided to make her a tabletop chalkboard easel thing for her shop too.

Never mind about the vodka....
13 Likes   December 17, 2014 at 8:44AM
rredpenn
Oh toats! Those are too coool! Her little shoppe will look amazing with those! Who knows, it may inspire some scrolly frosting? And the chalkboard is going to be fun for her too. :)

Is the challenge date correct? 115 days to go? Aye yi yi yi.... :)
0 Likes   Thanked by toatsmcgoats    December 17, 2014 at 8:51AM
rredpenn
You, my friend, are going to need some sauce recipes to keep that going. I have one for an English Mustard Sauce that is to die for on corned beef, artichoke leaves, all kinds of things... when you are ready for new sauces to try... :)
0 Likes   December 17, 2014 at 8:52AM
toatsmcgoats
rred, that sauce sounds amazing. something i would love. ill have to get that from you at some point. i made the chalkboard easel out of scrap wood from the cabinet we built. it ALMOST cost me nothing as i had everything to make it already until i opened my old can of chalkboard paint to discover it had dried into a hardened blob :(
the challenge date thing is correct. its a long time but chandeliers are expensive, so it'll be worth it!
1 Like   December 17, 2014 at 9:00AM
soccerates
What's the "challenge date" thing?
0 Likes   December 17, 2014 at 12:01PM
soccerates
If rred's giving you a recipe it's going to have to be called a rred sauce--even if it's a different color hahaha!
3 Likes   December 17, 2014 at 12:02PM
stryker
socc, toats has a new thread, the Sauce Eggplant Chandelier Challenge. Check it out. I'd post the link but I'm technologically incompetent.
0 Likes   December 17, 2014 at 12:47PM
0 Likes   December 17, 2014 at 1:32PM
soccerates
2 Likes   December 17, 2014 at 7:46PM
glschisler
You are one talented lady Toats!
1 Like   Thanked by toatsmcgoats    December 17, 2014 at 7:56PM
toatsmcgoats
Finally finished my friends paintings and chalkboard! Those sprinkles were a pain in the you know what! Only about a gazillions of em...,
8 Likes   last Friday at 4:48PM
marjie1059
Great job! How many of them did you do?
0 Likes   last Friday at 8:44PM
toatsmcgoats
Thanks! I did 4 cupcakes plus the whisk one with her shop name on it.
3 Likes   last Friday at 8:58PM
indomom
That is one lucky friend!!!
2 Likes   last Saturday at 7:56AM
toatsmcgoats
Yeah she's making out like a bandit this year cause I had already bought her some nice presents!
1 Like   last Saturday at 8:48AM
toatsmcgoats
I hate her shop name "Flour and Sugar" it's terrible lol. I tried to convince her to go with something else, but she was set on it. It's so literal. At least she took my idea of the crossed whisks for her logo :)
2 Likes   last Saturday at 8:50AM
Please help to re-design my kitchen for a modern looks and cost saving
Hi all, I am thinking of renovating my kitchen and...
Yvonne Khor
Need help combining a new fairly modern bathroom with my vintage taste
I have a neutral palette to work with,however the title...
karinomal
Modern kitchen desires, country cabin constraints: Please help!
Thanks in advance for any insight and inspiration....
oinco
Help me keep my country kitchen and eat my cake too.....
We've lived in our Midway Hollow home and on the street...
kyledlin
Help with exterior ideas
We are purchasing this home and should close on it...
Amy Brooks
i want to decorate my full bathroom with "BEACH SCENERY"
sea shells ,beach pictures, very modern decor,walls...
Kim Penna-Good
Omg I just bought a couch and I want to return it but can't. Help me m
Room is across from kitchen at the entrance of the...
minnows
Dark Bedroom that faces the North with no Light.
It looks bright and i have not done any redecorating...
jmk578
Smart tiles
Has anyone used smart tiles, the ones you basically...
allisongarber