To paint the ceilings or not to paint the ceilings?
Gilbert-Ian
Hi everyone! My husband and I recently purchased a home and plan to move into it soon but we have a couple of problems.
1) We need to furnish the entire thing!
2) We love the home but need to put our stamp on it. My husband is adamant in keeping the colorful ceilings as they are. Me, not so much. I may have to sit this battle out and give him his way because I will be making the decisions with the decorating aspect of this project. The previous owners apparently traveled the world quite often and spent A LOT of money on bringing the places they visited into their home. The kitchen is French inspired while the formal living room (shown in the photo) was inspired by a trip to Italy or something. I can't recall. We are eager to make it our own but don't know where to start. We are very serious about hiring an interior decorator who lives here in the United States and wouldn't mind traveling to where we live so he or she can basically help us select colors, furnishings and all those lovely things to make this space livable. We are looking for a luxurious and upscale feel because the home and grounds are worthy of it. Our style is modern, with a little bit of traditional and eclectic. We want it to match the home so everything is cohesive and transitional. Oh, and we love color. How can we make it our own while still keeping the ceiling in the formal living room? We are opened to professional and non-professional opinions and suggestions. Any leads as to who we can hire would be excellent. Thank you!!
Patricia Colwell
Okay so I love the ceilings all over europe and I really like to mix the very modern withe traditional so I would leave the ceilings but get rid of the brick, I don't think it suits the home.
June 26, 2014 at 9:33AM     
apple_pie_order
Where is the house located?

Your ideabooks indicate large scale, formal taste with colorful aspects. Try the "find a pro" tab or page through some of the photos after selecting the style you like.
June 26, 2014 at 9:44AM     
tkailua
Please, please do not paint those ceilings. So beautiful! IMO kitchen flooring needs to go, but the brick is gorgeous as well.
June 26, 2014 at 9:44AM     
tkailua
Some. Of the brick walls..I meant to say... The brick walls by the fireplace are charming, but the stove hood and brick flooring needs to be changed.
June 26, 2014 at 9:47AM     
Gilbert-Ian
Thanks for replying everyone! The previous owners traveled extensively and brought their travels into the home. This includes the great room ceiling idea (Italy) and kitchen (France). I feel like I am losing a lost battle on the kitchen demo+remo. It's too expensive right now what with the purchase of the home and all. The home is located here in Texas. I was thinking brightening up the yellow walls with a fresh coat of yellow paint in the great room. As for the kitchen, I agree it doesn't go with the home. I wish I could do something to change it without it costing too much. I like the idea about changing the stove top.
June 26, 2014 at 10:31AM   
Gilbert-Ian
I meant to say "fighting a lost battle" in the above comment.
June 26, 2014 at 10:45AM   
tkailua
For now, maybe you could just switch out the stove hood...stainless to match the stove, and then the kitchen flooring. You could just paint out some of the other brick walls for the time being....but depending on your decor, I would leave the brick around the fireplace. Who knows, maybe when you paint out some of that other brick, and with the flooring change, you may just want to leave the painted brick. I would love to have a home with this much character to work with!
June 26, 2014 at 12:21PM     
Gilbert-Ian
tkailua, those are excellent ideas. Okay, so the stove hood will be replaced.
What do you mean about painting the bricks and walls? Do you mean physically painting each brick? I had this idea but my husband thinks pairing the bricks will ruin the kitchen. What type of flooring would fit in a kitchen like that? All that brick seems excessive and overpowering. I want it to at least match the rest of the home a little. But we just can't afford it right now.
June 26, 2014 at 7:49PM   
Gilbert-Ian
*painting the bricks
June 26, 2014 at 7:50PM   
grobby
I would live in the house and give it a try without changing anything. Quite unique and you may get attached to it. Certainly some nice work.
June 26, 2014 at 7:55PM     
Servant Remodeling
The first image, I will call it the living room. All that wood and those beams would look amazing in their natural state. Just the bare wood with a nice to stain.
June 26, 2014 at 7:57PM     
Gilbert-Ian
Grobby, it certainly appears that way. Neither of us are crazy about beams in a home but everything about this property and its grounds is magnificent. My husband wants to decorate around the kitchen and great room. He wants to Remo the kitchen in a few years.
Servant, I'm afraid that may not be an option at this point. He loves the colors.
I want to find a professional who can work the decor into the existing ceilings without making it look dated.
June 26, 2014 at 9:58PM   
azhomes
I would definitely find a designer who could incorporate the ceilings in the design. I don't think an amateur could accomplish it without looking hodge posh.
June 26, 2014 at 10:20PM     
Nancy Kempf Fine Art
Hi there! Beautiful home with large spaces...lucky you! As an artist I feel the great room ceilings are fabulous. I think when you fill the room with the correct proportion furniture the ceilings will play an important part but recede a bit. I can see using the colors in the ceiling in the area rugs, artwork and accents. The sky is the limit....this will be a fun project. Have fun....post photos during and after
June 26, 2014 at 10:45PM     
Gilbert-Ian
azhomes, I'm with you 100%. I don't even know where to begin.
June 27, 2014 at 12:07AM   
Gilbert-Ian
Nancy, thank you so much for the encouragement. We are set on hiring an out of town decorator. There are just so many.. :'(
June 27, 2014 at 12:09AM   
Gilbert-Ian
Goodness Nancy.. You just made me see the light at the end of the tunnel. It brought a smile to my face. This should be a happy time.. Full of creativity.. Not one of stress. Thank you once again. :)
June 27, 2014 at 12:12AM     
Nancy Kempf Fine Art
You're welcome Gilbert! I've had my share of renovation moments of why did I do this to myself? But now that it's over (whew) it's possible to laugh. I have a Q...how large is the living room? It looks huge!
June 28, 2014 at 7:14AM   
Need help with designing kitchen lighting plan
I"m renovating my existing kitchen and need advice...
Need help with my Kitchen layout
Hi all. My husband and I just recently bought our first...
Where can I find clean modern/contemporary baseboards and door trim?
I have been looking for simple clean baseboards like...
Picking kitchen counters
We have an existing granite island we don't want to...
how do I make a ceiling-mounted canopy/tester?
I want to make a ceiling mounted 1/2 or quarter tester....