I know a match would fix the look of this house but
kathygdot
I'm truly stuck...I have the last 1950's home on a beautiful cul de sac/Great location. Most of the neighbours here have home with postage stamp yards but are double my home's value even including my 1/3 of an acre. I plan to rebuild in 5 years but have to at least paint and ??? in the meantime...could anyone suggest some ideas for curb appeal for me and my poor neighbours? (My son's beastie truck has been removed.) :) (front door is not facing the street...) I would be so grateful for any ideas.
mmers
do you have any more pictures? All I can see is the garage.
June 23, 2014 at 8:36PM     
kathygdot
sadly this is the facade that faces the street, but I thank you for asking and I have posted other pics, just in case...thank you!
June 23, 2014 at 8:58PM   
standinginline
What is your budget and how DIY comfortable are you? An easier/cheaper way to start would be taking out the shrubs/trees growing right up against the house.
June 23, 2014 at 9:18PM   
Shauna Cowley Filtz
If you aren't keen on tackling the trees, hire an arborist to shape them and maintain the health. I would pressure wash the house and maybe go for a blue grey colour?
June 23, 2014 at 9:25PM     
kathygdot
thank you! that makes good sense about the shrubs. I am quite comfortable with DIY projects...my budget could be 10G...but I am hoping that if I spend money it may stay with the house when I renovate. (not sure that made sense)
June 23, 2014 at 9:28PM   
kathygdot
thank you Shauna...I actually have someone coming to pressure wash tomorrow in prep for some kind of paint. nice...I was originally thinking of a grey but fearful of the change...I will try to explore those colours. thanks so much!
June 23, 2014 at 9:33PM   
kathygdot
might anyone have a recommendation as to trim? I love black but wonder if white might be more favourable for the neighbours...the garage door is also white but could be painted. I"d love to reside but think that should be after after I expand the size of the house.
June 23, 2014 at 9:41PM   
standinginline
I could picture a blue-gray color for the front deck railing and trim--I don't think your house color is all that bad but your deck raing wood color looks quite dingy; I think the contrast of colors could work well.
June 23, 2014 at 9:52PM      Thanked by kathygdot
Lynne Mysliwiec
As sad as it is to get rid of healthy plants, the shrubs around the front porch and near the garage have gotten too large/tall and are now obscuring the building in a not very flattering way. Am not a landscape contractor, so cannot identify their species without a closeup of the foliage of each -- if they can be cut back without killing them, then I recommend radical surgery to cut them back to no more than waist high on a human, mid-thigh height might even be best. If they cannot be pruned back to that height, then they are at the point in their lives where digging them out is the best curb appeal solution.

What I can see of the back yard planting seems quite lovely -- with the exception of the pine near the steps. That pine is going to turn into a VERY large tree and is not appropriate to be planted that close to the house. The japanese maple is nice, and the perennial border seems pretty well chosen. Weed the beds, spread preen, edge and mulch. Not sure what's going on with the grass in the back - could be badly drained, or simply not get enough sun / water. Grass seed and water are the best first try.

After you get the flora under control, you can start to consider paint colors.
June 23, 2014 at 9:58PM     
nwduck
well, I think you have great potential, no need for matches, and with a big lot, you're good. As they say, they don't make more dirt.

For starters, I'd put in an edging along the (gravel?) drive. You can get long lengths of commercial grade edging for not much of an investment, and that would create a crisp front. Then, I would take down the hoop, unless boy is an NBA hopeful. From the picture, it seems you should take off the limb of the large tree that is hanging over the driveway, and balance on the other side of the tree if need be.

As it looks like you have a deck over the garage (?) I would rework the solid enclosed area there at the top to something less fortress-like. If you look at the spacing of the vertical siding to the left of the garage, and picture that same spacing as board/open space/board as a railing it would feel like it matched better visually. You could then do an attractive set up above the garage (pots with flowers at the edge, a bright umbrella) so as to it give a little front peek-a-boo to a cool space.

With same edging from the driveway, I would do a wide walkway (like 5' wide) from the drive around to the front door, same gravel. And even though I am a plant/tree lover, the trees/shrubberies are swallowing your house. I'd eliminate the tall evergreen at the left of the garage edge, and the two giants at what looks to be the main entry, or at least eliminate the tall rounded shrub, and open-prune the other. The pine tree will have to go eventually, but if you are going to be rebuilding in 5 years, may be ok.

I'm a fan of color matching to surroundings, so I'd paint the house the color of the bark on the big tree (with the branch hanging over the drive). Probably a brown-toned grey. Then, I'd do the garage door in a very pale blue (think winter sky), and same with doors. I'd find some great house numbers and put those centered on the siding where boy truck was parked.
June 23, 2014 at 10:28PM     
kathygdot
that is an interesting colour for trim "Standinginline"...thank you... and Lynne, I would never have thought to go so short on those trees but it really makes sense - and the other mentions of the yard. Thank you
June 23, 2014 at 10:29PM   
kathygdot
i'm blown away NWduck...what a great concept. I've felt the deck was wrong...fortress-like was a perfect description. "cool space" was a big part of what I was thinking...I have a neighbour a block away that is 50's but has a cool but very tasteful way. I'm searching on Benjamin Moore for those colours to see if I can come up with something. And yes...the my boy has given up the NBA dream so the hoop is coming down. Thank you...I'm looking into the edging etc...pics will have to follow.
June 23, 2014 at 10:57PM   
nwduck
I'm not the best at this color thing, but what about something like Benjamin Moore Blue Springs for the house, Polar Sky for garage/doors, then do Marina Gray Trim? And a pretty patterned umbrella for up above?
June 23, 2014 at 11:35PM   
kathygdot
thank you!! I'm trying them on the B.M. virtual painting site and it's coming in too lite, but the individual color chips themselves looks pleasing. i'm excited for also looking at how I can get the deck more opened up - i'm loving that idea too. heading off to bed now but I am truly thankful for all your great ideas and gracious help.
June 24, 2014 at 12:25AM   
Shauna Cowley Filtz
Are you going to attempt pruning your trees, dig them out or hire an arborist?
June 25, 2014 at 8:22PM   
kathygdot
We'll have to get an Arborist for the Gary Oak because it's a protected tree. We took care of one of the trees already but while the arborist is here, maybe we'll just get them to do the rest. I'd prefer to move them or cut them way back.
June 26, 2014 at 11:34AM   
Post Frame Accessories
Since the garage is the main part of your house that faces the street, what about changing the door to a really unique sliding door? Something like the photos below. Doing this allows you to fully customize the door anyway you want and could really add some nice visual touches to the garage.

We have several styles of hardware that could help you with this that are all easily installed.
June 26, 2014 at 12:30PM   
Bored with Dining Room!! Suggestions welcome
We used a decorator & I cannot change anything but...
What kitchen style goes with octagon & red dot floor tiles?
We're buying this contemporary house built in the 80s...
I need brutal honesty here!! I promise I can take it. :)
We're finally finishing our basement (yay!) and I decided...
Would love ideas!!
We are in the process of buying this house. It is our...
Curb appeal help!
We bought this house last fall. We love the corner...