Any ideas about making this lounge room look better.
goodfruit
June 23, 2014 in Design Dilemma
It's a small lounge room that lacks something. I know the chair is over powering but we also use it as a spare bed. Is it the table or the lack of ornaments on the table?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
goodfruit
Please ignore the last photo, that is from the dining room.
0 Likes   June 23, 2014 at 8:52PM
MarleneM
You do have some nice elements in this room. I peeked at your ideabooks and seen you have some Japanese art on wall behind chair, and I think just a few tweaks will help your room a lot. I would move sofa forward about 6", and make sure it's centered . It looks pushed into curtains a bit. Then I would remove pillows and throws from sofa. Add two smaller or lumber pillows to sofa centered to the two sofa cushions in a colour from the rug, looks like there a nice blue. Lamp works and add something with colour to coffee table. And you need to add some more art. Also would like to see the other walls of the room.
1 Like   June 23, 2014 at 10:47PM
PRO
CDR Design
I would be happy to help, but need to know

-need more photos of the other areas of the room
-what is the view out the window?
0 Likes   June 24, 2014 at 3:05AM
potchiemagoodleberry
what is the sofa facing? pick a color from the area rug and paint it on the walls, pick up a few coordinating throw pillows and hang some large scaled wall art....large art makes small walls feel larger, hence room larger. art that is too small, can look like clutter. would love to see more views. ;)
0 Likes   June 24, 2014 at 4:43AM
PRO
CDR Design
I see no art on the walls. We will address that. Need to get more photos of the room. For now

-arrange the pillows neatly with green in center
-hang afghan neatly over the chair.
0 Likes   June 24, 2014 at 5:21AM
Rina
I've added two (fake) pictures, flowers, a pair of silver doodads on the table, and a narrow storage bench (that can double as seating). A minimal 'intervention'.
1 Like   June 24, 2014 at 5:32AM
HomeDecor Addict
definitely more wall art, perhaps change the table, and what exactly is that on the floor around the table?
2 Likes   June 24, 2014 at 6:44AM
goodfruit
I have taken more photos of the room to give you a better idea of what is in the room and it's size.
0 Likes   June 26, 2014 at 3:44PM
goodfruit
On the floor is a twice dyed Turkish rug with some tufts of the cotton exposed.
0 Likes   June 26, 2014 at 3:47PM
Renee
Well, your home is gorgeous. The only thing throwing me is your curtains seem drab in the photo. I'm generally not a fan of too much curtain. But, adding a second set of curtains outside the white (in navy or black? - or a coordinating color with the rug and your other art) would make the window and the room pop.
1 Like   June 26, 2014 at 3:59PM
goodfruit
I went with that fabric as it's sheer and I thought with the heavy looking settee it would work. I also love the lead lights so I didn't want to hide them with a heavy curtain. I have attached a photo of the fabric to show it's actually a strip but it doesn't show in the photo very well.
1 Like   June 26, 2014 at 4:16PM
Renee
Oh - love those! They came across plain in the photo.
0 Likes   June 26, 2014 at 4:21PM
MarleneM
I agree, very lovely home you have! I would suggest side curtain panels that extend wall to wall, but left open, and add bamboo blinds. Also add bamboo blinds on the door windows, but them them open for the view and light, but they would add a nice touch. Also found this pic of a coffee table styling that would suit your room. Your coffee table seems smaller, so I wouldn't replicate all of this, but just to show the little things like square candles instead of round, or a plant in a fish of rocks adds the Asian flair.

0 Likes   June 26, 2014 at 4:32PM
PRO
CDR Design
Try this and repost pics

1) Float the couch to face the window (couch is inside the bumpout walls, with its back to the red art)

2) Place the bench along the window

3) Place chair to the left of the bench
0 Likes   June 26, 2014 at 4:47PM
groveraxle
I'm tinkering around the edges here. Your chair could use a side table, and I'd like to see something under the art to ground it, maybe a bench. A taller lamp on the chest in the corner too.

But you're right about something lacking, and I can't quite put my finger on it either. I have a sense that it's the curtains, that a more substantial curtain, maybe linen with some texture, would do the trick.
0 Likes   June 26, 2014 at 5:17PM
groveraxle
Try picking up the rug color in the drapes.
1 Like   June 26, 2014 at 5:44PM