Furniture Layout Challenge for LR in a recently purchased home.
daylightca
June 24, 2014 in Design Dilemma
We have friends who have a new baby and a recently purchased home. During a recent visit, we assisted with furniture layout of a sitting room/den. The real challenge, however, is the Living Room. I offered to gather some ideas for a furniture layout for a difficult room. I have a few ideas, but would like to gather more input from the Houzz Community. The spiral stairs to a loft make placement difficult. New furniture will be purchased for this room, with the exception of the N-style table shown.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
daylightca
More:
June 24, 2014 at 8:37AM   
PRO
Modo Bath
This house is precious! You could definitely put a couch facing the fireplace. It could be a sectional sofa or just a regular one as well. Back where the clock is, could be a comfy chair that faces into the center of the room, for added seating. Judging by the pictures it looks like there should be enough space for that as well. Perhaps you could do something like in the pictures attached, in different colors. Best Of Luck!
June 24, 2014 at 8:41AM   
pcmom1
Do we have to worry about placing furniture for tv watching?
June 24, 2014 at 8:43AM   
daylightca
There will be no TV watching in this room. Thanks.
June 24, 2014 at 8:53AM   
daylightca
I think one of the challenges is that a sofa won't really fit well in front of the fireplace, unless one end is partially under the spiral staircase. I was thinking of suggesting two seating areas on either side of the staircase, with a bench pretty much in line with the staircase. If you're sitting on the bench, you could either face the fireplace or the second seating area. What do you think of this idea?
June 24, 2014 at 9:08AM   
PRO
Modo Bath
That seems like a great idea as well! Totally understandable that a couch would be underneath the staircase. Try that idea. It may even allow for more seating that way!
June 24, 2014 at 9:20AM   
pcmom1
Since the stair landing is right at the large wall. That wall could hold bookcases or a long slim desk for working at the laptop.

Try moving the dining table out on to the hardwood floor, where the ladder shelf now sits. That would free up space in the kitchen for a nice old butcher block.

Put a slim reading chair into that back fireplace corner where the cube sits. Add a nice plant under the stairs.

Add a slim sofa next to the window, sitting at an angle facing the chair.
June 24, 2014 at 9:54AM   
pcmom1
I like the size and vibe of this sofa:

June 24, 2014 at 9:57AM   
pcmom1
Or, for room fit: try dining table near the stairs:

June 24, 2014 at 10:00AM   
pcmom1
Slim, mid-century recliner in corner next to fireplace:

June 24, 2014 at 10:02AM   
decoenthusiaste
Try a cozy seating area near the FP and under the stairs - perhaps a four-chair arrangement around a hassock. A nice pair of bookcases, art or two credenzas with art above would look good flanking the FP. In the larger space I'd put the table and chairs on the short wall side, instead of in the kitchen. Looks to be a small kitchen and this would open it up to a possible future reno and expansion. Add another seating area on the larger wall with a pair of loveseats facing each other over a coffee table, arc lamp hovering above the table. Lots of art on the walls, some floor lamps. area rugs under the two seating areas.
Spinnaker Development
Cumberland Circle
June 24, 2014 at 10:46AM   
pcmom1
If something like this was built along the stairway wall, it could act as additional seating for the dining table when there are larger groups and the table were extended.

June 24, 2014 at 10:56AM   
daylightca
Thanks for the ideas! Any other comments or ideas?
June 26, 2014 at 12:25PM   
pcmom1
daylightca, it would be interesting to see a photo where the dining table were moved on to the wood floor. That could get you more comments coming!
June 26, 2014 at 2:54PM   
Meet Me at the Wrecking Ball
That leaning bookcase and all the stuff crowding the corners need to go. Buy a comfy, small-scale sofa and aim it toward the FP. Use that cool glass coffee table, and then buy two smallish comfy chairs that will flank the FP on an angle and face the couch. Cool, slim console table goes behind the sofa--that will create a separation between the dining area and the sitting area. Existing hide rug stays--under the coffee table and perhaps the front legs of the new sofa. Thank you for not putting the TV in there. Wall color is kinda dark--might want to lighten things up with a soft gray instead. What is that gigantic cube-like boulder used for?
June 26, 2014 at 3:27PM   
Never mind--the walls are fine. The light from the ceiling fan caused the pic to turn out dark. Bring in some lamps instead. One on the new console (?) and maybe one floor lamp next to one of the two (new) chairs.
June 26, 2014 at 3:28PM   
You would be better off with a round dining table in that small space.
June 26, 2014 at 3:30PM   
groveraxle
The dining set is already on the border. Let it come all the way into the space.
June 26, 2014 at 3:38PM   
daylightca
Thanks, everyone! A bit of clarification regarding the table - they have a beautiful, large dining room right off of this room. I am going to recommend a small bistro size round table to remain on the tile portion in the kitchen, or to put bar stool at the island and remove the table altogether.
June 26, 2014 at 5:11PM   
daylightca
The kitchen is actually relatively large. The pic is only showing a portion of it. I think that areas on either sides of the spiral areas should be two separate sitting areas. Do you agree?
June 26, 2014 at 5:13PM   
daylightca
Groveraxle, that's a great rendering! What software do you use?
June 26, 2014 at 5:18PM   
daylightca
BTW, I'm definitely going to recommend them moving the shelf and misc pieces to a different room.
June 26, 2014 at 5:18PM   
groveraxle
daylightca, I use Photoshop Elements. And recommend they move that ladder shelf to Craigslist, please.
June 26, 2014 at 5:47PM     
daylightca
Here is a rendering of what I am suggesting in terms of furniture layout next to the fireplace. The bench would allow for seating facing either direction. What do you think?
June 27, 2014 at 11:03AM   
pcmom1
Think your idea is a good one. Just has to be the right pieces!

And if they have a formal dining room, you could put a round pub table onto the hardwood, next to that post. On the wall under the stairs, a wine storage area with wine frig.

What is the story with that beam? There is no door there. Think something should be done there...make the beam more rustic and add to it so that it is more substantial? Or add a built in bookcase to "the doorway"?
Crestway Residence
River Road House_Living
West Chelsea Loft
Wine rack in the mid-century modern inspired home
June 27, 2014 at 12:12PM     
daylightca
Good point regarding the beam, pcmom1. I suggested that the strip it of the paint, and finish it to work with the other rustic elements in the space. I see this room as a fusion between modern and rustic.
June 27, 2014 at 12:17PM