Stainless steel in the kitchen - yay or nay?

Emmeline WestinJune 24, 2014
We were talking toasters in the office yesterday and stainless steel toasters came up. We agreed that it wasn't the best combination as you're always plagued by greasy fingerprints.

What are your thoughts? Do you have stainless steel appliances in your kitchen? Or is it not for you?

nansdrew
We have some SS appliances, but not the big ones (not the fridge or dishwasher-they're paneled) and we've never come across issues with fingerprints. I can see how it can get annoying with vast expanses of SS though.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 24, 2014 at 12:55PM
Pavinia Cotton
Yay - I'm a fan of stainless steel as a splashback or worktop. though it's very easy to tip over the edge into industrial which I wouldn't like in my kitchen
    Bookmark   June 24, 2014 at 12:56PM
Kevin Strader
Sink, stove, exhaust hood, refrigerator, dishwasher, wine frig, cabinet mount radio, coffee maker, microwave (although hidden in a cabinet) and yes toaster oven, all stainless steel. Not a big problem to keep clean but we don't have young'uns around the house anymore.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Emmeline Westin    June 24, 2014 at 1:11PM
adivra
I have no problem keeping my stainless appliances clean. Quick wipe with a SS microfiber cloth sprayed with a mix of alcohol and water, which I also use on the granite. Now, my toaster is always covered in prints that are difficult,so it stays in a drawer until needed.
4 Likes    Bookmark   June 24, 2014 at 1:26PM
kpappal
We have all Stainless Steel appliances, and don't have any problem keeping them clean. We are empty nesters. My toaster is the only sm. appliance that seems to take much work cleaning, but I don't keep it out on the counter.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 24, 2014 at 2:33PM
SoCal Contractor
Stainless steel, like anything else, looks nice unless over done. Everything in the right dosage has the potential to be great!
4 Likes    Bookmark   June 24, 2014 at 3:56PM
shars55
Stainless double oven, stove, refrigerator, sink and dishwasher. They aren't that hard to keep clean, microfiber cloths and water! The only thing I hate about them is that they are scratch easily.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 24, 2014 at 4:14PM
Keith Weber
We have a Bosch stove with stainless under the cooktop. It scratches easily, and if food get baked on. Forget it. I love the stove though.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 24, 2014 at 5:16PM
bgfuqua
stainless steel sink only. I am very unhappy with choice of appliance non -colors.
6 Likes    Bookmark   June 24, 2014 at 11:58PM
Luke Buckle
Brushed metal for all the things!
Waring Pro 2 Slice Toaster · More Info
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 25, 2014 at 5:50PM
chloebud
We have stainless fridge, stovetop, hood, wall ovens, and dishwasher. Our previous home had white appliances, and I spent MUCH more time keeping them clean.
4 Likes    Bookmark   June 25, 2014 at 5:57PM
Robin TX
Love the "brushed" stainless combined with natural rock (granite, quartzite, etc.) counter tops.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 25, 2014 at 5:58PM
lepstein
I prefer white appliances. My sink and my toaster oven are ss.
    Bookmark   June 28, 2014 at 1:06AM
Lori_Tartaglia Volpatti
I love stainless; we have had it in our kitchen for about 9 years now, and I would do it again. I like that it is a 'neutral' in the kitchen. I find a quick wipe with good old Windex once a week is all it needs - no different from when I had all white appliances.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 28, 2014 at 7:17AM
Patricia Colwell
I have a mix of stainless and white laquer cabinets in my new kitchen and put them in because I loved them in the old one with red laquer(picattached) I just use vinegar and water to wipe all the stainless down the real trick is to wipe with the grain (yes stainless has a grain )
1 Like    Bookmark   June 28, 2014 at 7:26AM
Nancy
I like black enamel ovens and cooktops best, then white. I currently have stainless steel oven and cooktop as they came standard with our build and our budget at the time directed any spare money to upgrading other areas such as toilet suites and other less easily retro-fitted items.
    Bookmark   June 28, 2014 at 7:30AM
chloebud
Patricia is correct about wiping with the grain in stainless. The guys who installed our new wall ovens mentioned that to me. They also recommended Orange Glo to clean stainless appliances. I've done fine with just a damp cloth.
    Bookmark   June 28, 2014 at 7:56AM
Patricia Colwell
I find anything other than just water or vinegar water just makes it collect dirt, I use a micro fiber cloth too.
    Bookmark   June 28, 2014 at 9:37AM
MicKat Ken
SS never appealed to me. I prefer metallic finishes for small, reflective accents. Like jewelry for an outfit. And not being able to put magnets on my fridge is a definite deal breaker. Lots of sweet pics, reminders, and kids masterpieces to display! :-)
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 30, 2014 at 2:41PM
smarterthandog
Stainless refrigerators dent easily, so you have to be careful about that.
    Bookmark   June 30, 2014 at 4:59PM
chloebud
I had dents in some white appliances in our previous home....the fridge and stove.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 30, 2014 at 6:05PM
Ikea Kitchens Yay or Nay?
Deciding whether or not to use IKEA for my new cabinets....
cpaige29
Wood Island YAY or NAY!!
I am copying this kitchen with the blue backsplash....
Kristy Parise_Leaver
Pot Racks above an island in the kitchen: Yay or Nay?
I love to cook so mine would be functional and not...
Kristina Morgan
Yay or Nay? Open shelves
Do you like the open shelf look in the kitchen?
nikkiseashores
Two Toned Kitchen- Yay or Nay?
For the past couple of years the two toned kitchens...
A Direct Cabinet Distributor Corp
Dining room advice
I need staging advice for my dining room. Is it too...
angelcreek11
Help with my living room
I would love to hear some ideas of how To decorate...
monicamb
hanging lantern
would these extra large lantern look fine on each...
Rawni-Lynne Tearle
flooring
dark cabinets almost black- what color floors/
molly2muff
Study door
Hey guys I need a little help being pointed in the...
K Bauce