Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loves2read

Have to tear out shower and redo but space limited--help?

loves2read
9 years ago
We have 70s built second home in FL and the original master bath shower has water damage/failing tiles...we knew when we bought it that the tiles weren't in best shape but we wanted the house (next to our daughter) and it was sold "as is" so no negotiation, no help from seller...Lots of things to like about house and some renovations done to kitchen and other areas--but not baths...

We used it for about 2 years now and this week the cleaner was sticking the shower mat to the wall and had several tiles come loose/fall out...
We will need to tear out all of it and redo the shower--
debating whether to redo the rest...

The counter with sinks is out side the shower/tub/toilet room--
we walk past sinks into the other area--
there are pocket doors on both rooms so no swings to worry about...

To the left of the doorway by the shower is a small linen closet w/a bifold door I would like to keep if I can...think moving the shower out to capture that space would make doorway too narrow and you wouldn't really have any more useable space cause it is narrow anyway...

Our closet is opposite the sinks and don't want to given any of its space up to enlarge bath area...

The dimensions of room with tub and shower are narrow--5'11" wide and about 12'6" long...

The tub is angled into the open area so originally room could take a longer but narrow tub--has right side drain...

Someone on another site mentioned that there has to be certain amount of clearance between toilet and shower or tub--can't encroach too much and person thought the shower was about as close to toilet as allowed...

I would prefer to give up the tub and build a larger shower in that space...but my husband vetoed that...wants tub for resale...
we have guest bath with conventional tub/shower so house wouldn't be w/o a tub...but I am not going to be able to change his mind about giving up a tub...

Would it be possible to put a corner tub where the shower is and put shower where the tub is?

I don't know how much space we could capture once shower is taken out---
This is a cement block house on traditional concrete foundation and we aren't going to be digging a new sewer line--way to expensive and time consuming...
so toilet has to stay where it is...

I just know that a poorly designed/done renovation can be just as bad or worse than whatever might come original to a house...
I want to make sure what does go in is functional and attractive but I am not sure that a "new" 3x3 shower with a new tub is going to be that much more enticing...
and while we have no intention of selling any time soon--
we are seniors and bought to be close to our daughter...
if they move any distance it is likely we will sell and move as well--so this is not a "forever home" for us...

Comments (10)