POLL: Murphy Beds - Love them or leave them?
June 24, 2014 in Polls
How do you feel about murphy beds? Would you jump at the chance to have one in your home or are they one of those features you just have no desire to ever incorporate in your space?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments!

Yes - I love them!
No thanks - I'll pass.
Other - Tell us below!
SoCal Contractor
Murphy beds are great. We did a project and installed one in the office. Therefore the office could easily transform into an extra guest bedroom whenever it needed to. They're a great way to get as much multi-functional use from a singular space. I wouldn't put one in my master bedroom, but I think they are a great additional, especially since they barely take up space and most people wouldn't notice it was there unless its actually out.
June 24, 2014 at 1:46PM     
riches11
I have a Murphy bed as my main bed, when I fold it up The base becomes a desk!
Gives me the freedom to work as a therapist in the room.
June 25, 2014 at 5:13AM     
Jessica
Murphy beds are a neat idea, and if I had a really small space I'd consider one or in a guest room that is used for other purposes when no guests are staying. But for me personally it would never really work because I'd probably never bother to fold it up!
June 25, 2014 at 5:19AM     
bergenstein
This is exactlly what I am going to do with my double attached garage, sliding door and all. I want a seperate garage with a small apartment above.
June 25, 2014 at 7:58AM   
Robbi
We have one in our spare room, if I had a big house with lots of extra rooms, I wouldn't need one, but since I don't ,and we rarely get guests, it doesn't make sense to have a dedicated guest room. When we do have guests, we don't want to put them on a pull out sofa which is horrible to sleep on. Most of the time it stays folded up and I use the room for yoga, art projects, etc. When we give people a tour of the house, I am surprised at how many say that it is a great idea, I think a lot of people have forgotten that these exist or assume that they are ugly (mine fits into a nice wall unit). I think they would be great for a studio apartment too.
July 11, 2014 at 10:40PM   
Susan
It depends on the design.
July 27, 2014 at 8:32PM   
Susan
I'll add to that...I love the design in the photo. The whole room is wonderful!
July 27, 2014 at 9:41PM   
Doreen Hedtke
How would one go about finding a contractor with the skills to build one?
July 28, 2014 at 4:12AM   
elkeelisabeth
Where are good places to get Murphy Beds. I need one in my office.
July 28, 2014 at 4:48AM   
Dawson & Clinton
We have done a few murphy beds for our clients in San Francisco as a part of home remodels, and so far everyone's satisfied. This is one of my favorite designs that we've installed.

July 28, 2014 at 10:05AM     
brendaspaeth
I love everything about them but the price.
July 28, 2014 at 3:08PM     
Richard Verguson
How do you like your amendoim floors now? We are having them installed in about 3 weeks. Triangulo engineered hardwood 3/8 by 3 1/4 and hope I am happy with them. Are you using Bona cleaner?
August 25, 2014 at 9:16AM   
marthajeanhowell
We just had a Murphy bed installed in our office. We took down the corner desk we had because we got a laptop and no longer needed the entire space for the office. We also have two granddaughters who needed palace to sleep when they come to visit with their mom and dad! We had a company called Breda bed to make the bed and install it and it looks sleek and beautiful and has one side with shelves and a cabinet. It was so easy and the company had a variety of beds and options. The price was just under $3000. We got a queen bed and our family loved it. Now we have a lot more room in the room for some of our office equipment such as shredder, printer, and photo printer and file drawers, and lots of room for visitors.
August 30, 2014 at 3:30PM   
FINNE Architects
We use Murphy Beds often, since they allow a guest room to also function as an office. It makes sense on many levels to utilize all the space in a house: cost, sustainability and maintenance.
August 30, 2014 at 3:57PM   
littlexlittle
We installed a Murphy bed in our guest room /office. Couldn't be happier! It's so nice to offer guests a real bed instead of the pullout couch but still have use of the space the 90% of the time we aren't hosting guests. We went the DIY route ( http://renosandoldhouses.blogspot.ca/2013/08/diy-ikea-murphy-bed.html?m=1).
August 30, 2014 at 4:39PM   
cabinet pulls
I am looking for a stainless steel draw pull. The...
Love my table but....
LOVE my table but I am redoing our floors in a house...
You spilled WHAT? WHERE?
I'm always horrified at the notion of spilling something...
Breadboard
Can beadboard be used in a bedroom? My house is old...
Kitchen backsplash ideas??
Need help deciding on a backsplash in our kitchen....