tko1217
May 1, 2010 in Photo Questions
We are trying to sell, and our kitchen is awful. It is a long narrow space with black appliances. I want to paint my cabinets to give them a fresh look and my coutertop is like this fake wood stuff. I don't want to sink a lot of money into this project because we are trying to sell. HELP!!!!!!!
Michelle
What about sending a picture of your kitchen as it is now? It will help people come up with ideas for you. Painting your cabinets is a good start. Although, if they are presently varnished and if you don't want to strip them, which is a hard job, just apply a coat or two of colored varathane, in whatever colour you want, even white... it lasts for years. I did it on my laundry room cabinets and refinished the beige countertop with white melamine paint... it will make a huge difference, for only a few dollars. I would also paint the kitchen walls in white, in order to make the kitchen look larger. Black appliances and other black accessories will update it dramatically. I recommended this to a friend of mine and she sold her house soon after she did it. Send a photograph, though, if you want me to be more specific.
May 2, 2010 at 10:32am     
Becky Harris
I'm with frenchflair, shoot us a picture!

I went through this recently with a loft staging on a very tight budget. Investing in your kitchen is the best investment you can make in making your house sell-able though, so if it's not selling, it's worth it.

Black appliances are actually coming back in, so don't sweat not having stainless steel. Perhaps you can find some modern looking black hardware for the cabinets. I agree with painting the cabinets white to lighten up the room.

We found great tile at this place called Floor Decor and More at a deep discount for the backsplash, and it made a dramatic difference. Also, check out your local Re-Store if you are lucky enough to have one. They often have enough tile for an entire floor and/or backsplash for next-to-nothing, as well as paint, hardware, light fixtures, etc.

Speaking of lighting, make sure the room is well-lit. A yucky old light fixture can kill your kitchen as soon as someone flips the switch. The big box stores like Home Depot and Lowe's are not carrying much more stylish lights. You can find up-to-date fixtures at Target, Wal-Mart, etc. as well.
May 3, 2010 at 1:02pm   
Which rug should I use here?
1 2 3 or leave the existing one or none?
Beatiful stone fireplace with no real mantle, help
We bought a home with stone fireplaces, the one in...
i want a walk in closet...
I have two small rooms and a master bedroom on the...
Kitchen Remodel
We are in the process of a kitchen remodel and this...
Curtains
When are short curtains ok? I was thinking of small...