Do I have room for a small baby grand in my entry?
limontee
This is the new president's residence for a college in New York. The house is a southern Colonial Revival built in 1929. It has a surprisingly large dining room, a moderate size living room in which we need to be able to seat ten, and a very large entry. My husband wants a baby grand in the house with all his heart. We have found a perfect, small, baby grand. Ebony, Yamaha, 5'2" long and 5 feet wide. We would like to place it in the corner of the room so,that you see the keys when you walk in, and the small end is in the corner.. We are unsure whether or not it will overpower the entry. I have attached a picture of,the entry as it was before we moved in. I can get you the measurement if you'd like. I'm wondering if there is a standard formula as to how big a room must be for a baby grand. There's no room for it in the living room. And we don't want it in the dining room since it seems inappropriate to have it there. Can anyone give some advice? I don't want to buy a baby grand and have it installed only to find its a huge mistake! Help?? Please??? In the picture, the corner it would go in is in the far, lower right corner of the picture! Thank you! Thank you, for your help!!
asquithoatley
Ask the piano company how much space the piano will need.
June 24, 2014 at 10:05PM        Thanked by limontee
Lampert Dias Architects, Inc.
An accurate floor plan of the entry hall with doors and openings and stair location would be important in order to know if the piano will fit in the space. If you can post it, I am sure that you will get some answers.

Another option for you is to cut out a large piece of cardboard the same size as your piano and to place it on the floor in the space to see how it fits and where you might want to place it............

I have a baby grand in my front entry and it is surprising how little space it actually needs and how incredible it looks when you walk into the house.......
June 24, 2014 at 10:09PM     
Lauren Jacobsen Interior Design
I think it is possible if you are standing at the back of the Foyer and you are not blocking a doorway or hallway leading to another area of the house.
June 24, 2014 at 10:13PM        Thanked by limontee
asquithoatley
I hope someone will play it! Looks like a lovely house, such understated charm.
June 24, 2014 at 10:15PM        Thanked by limontee
limontee
Thank you, everyone. I will try to graph the entry. There is a large entry into the living room and a large entry into the dining room, plus two doors into the kitchen. My husband plays and we will bring in pianist to play at events we host. It is a pretty house. We're still in the process of moving in, but love it already!
June 26, 2014 at 12:51PM   
Patricia Colwell
Get the actual measurements and cut it out of newspaper and tape on the floor and then walk around if you find you are stepping on the paper it will be too big.
June 26, 2014 at 1:26PM     
karenkupper
I agree with making a cutout and actually seeing how much space it needs. Don't forget about needing space for a bench. We have a baby grand that we put in a small library in the front of our house. It looks beautiful when we decorate it for Christmas.
June 26, 2014 at 1:42PM   
need help with my monterey taupe hardie siding
hi, i have a modern looking house (see pic in white)...
Kitchen back splash
Can you please give me any ideas about my kitchen back...
Every house deserves a name
Does your house have one? Would you like it to? Please...
Microwave in island. How much space needed around it?
How much space do you really need around an island...
Master bedroom and bath needs an updating.
This is a master bed and bath in a 1948 home in bad...