Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mbricketts

Need help with new apartment!

mbricketts
9 years ago
HI!

So I just graduated from college and have moved into my first apartment. I have been struggling on how to to coordinate colors in my living room/dining room area and was hoping for a little guidance on what color I should paint my dining room table and chairs so that they would look good with my living area (it is all one room). I am also debating if I should keep the carpet that is under my dining room table or if it would look better without it! Depending on what color I paint the dining room table, I think it would be nice to line the back on the wall bookshelf with a fun wallpaper. Any thoughts or suggestions would be so so helpful! I just don't have that interior design touch yet!

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Gray & Walter, Ltd.
    9 years ago
    Don't paint the table, consider painting the base black or another color and the chairs as well. The chair backs in black with black legs could be very nice too. Perhaps leaving table top/chair seats stained in current color? The rug under table is too small. Can it be used somewhere else? Wallpaper in bookcases is nice, it's less expensive to paint the interior in a fun color, easily changeable if you grow tired of paper. Your place is sweet and charming. Think about what you now own and your favorite colors. Staying with neutrals is easiest as you can change accents easily.
    mbricketts thanked Gray & Walter, Ltd.
  • Meet Me at the Wrecking Ball
    9 years ago
    What a great place! Lose the DR rug and showcase those floors. Don't paint the DR furniture--instead, seek out a super cool vintage cabinet of some kind and place it against the long wall in there--then top it off with a great, interesting lamp and hang a unique mirror. Buy a runner for the table that coordinates with the colors of the cabinet, lamp, and/or mirror.
    mbricketts thanked Meet Me at the Wrecking Ball
  • Meet Me at the Wrecking Ball
    9 years ago
    Something like this (found on Craigslist in Sacramento):
    mbricketts thanked Meet Me at the Wrecking Ball
  • orchardsgal
    9 years ago
    I saw a cute redo with your exact color scheme. Paint table legs off white. Paint chairs aqua. Get seat cushions in a large scale print with all your colors. Definitely line back of shelves, maybe in same fabric as chair cushions. Have a throw pillow made for sofa in same print fabric. Also paint white side table in living room the same aqua as chairs. Find a red lamp with black shade.

BTW, I've seen back of shelves lined with fabric covered foam core board...very easy to change out later. Good luck! You have the beginning of a wonderful living area!
  • Chem K
    9 years ago
    I think you should paint the dining chairs red. I have added other pictures for inspiration. Love the colour palette you are going for!
    The Upward Bound House by Kelly LaPlante · More Info

Dining table blue · More Info

main floor reno · More Info
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    First, some tweaks and then some bigger changes. Get some cord chase material to cover your TV cords. The rug is too small under the dining table. It should be 4' wider and longer than the table top so there is room to pull the chairs out and sit comfortably without them "falling" off the edge of the rug. Think about replacing your dining chairs with acrylic ones to increase the "fun" vibe you've started with color. Paint the table red, aqua or white - your choice. Paint the coffee table white, and then tackle the book shelf. Right now it looks like storage with everything lined up like soldiers. You need some "bling" so consider lining the backs of the shelves with shiny metal flashing - cheap at the hardware store, but you might need special scissors or ask them to cut it to size at the store. Style shelves with 1/3 books (stacked, lying, lifting other things,) 1/3 large decor items and 1/3 open space. I'd like to see your sofa centered on its wall with an arc lamp reaching from the corner and hovering over the coffee table. Replace the white table/mini desk with a round table appropriate in height for the chair, angling them together away from the wall. Here's a chart to help you size it right. Then tackle your art. I'd prefer the pieces above the chair (looks like 4 of them) hanging two over two above the sofa with one frame's width between them. They should hang much closer to the back of the sofa than they are now above the chair. General rule of thumb is 5-5-75: center point of art or grouping 5' above the floor if hung alone, 5" over the furniture they're hung above, and the art or grouping should not be more that 75% of the width of the furniture they're above. The other grouping is a bit too random right now. It needs more pieces and would make more impact on the wall right of the doors in the dining room. You might put a floating buffet below it and pull the grouping in tighter.
    mbricketts thanked decoenthusiaste
  • PRO
    Warner Decor
    9 years ago
    I think it is looking great so far! I would leave the rug under the table and get some red accents for the top of the table's centerpiece. I wouldn't paint it yet until you are sure of the color that you want it to be. Here are a few ideas for you:

http://deciture.com/pena-pedestal-bowl/

http://deciture.com/brampton-small-vase/

http://deciture.com/elegant-ceramic-vase-with-bud-shaped-wide-mouth-and-hour-glass-body-featuring-etched-lines-red/

http://deciture.com/large-bellarmino-glass-vase/

Hope this helps you!
    mbricketts thanked Warner Decor
Sponsored
COLAO & PETER Luxury Outdoor Living
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
VA, MD, and DC's Award-Winning Custom Pool Builders | Best of Houzz