Come In with all your good drapery ideas, please
Rhonda Bovine
I have finally chosen fabric for living room draperies that will be used to dress a 12' foot sliding french door. I am thinking 2 widths of fabric to create stationary panels with 5" goblet pleats hung with rings on a 3" hand finished fluted pole. I really would like to hear ideas for creative use of trim. I like some of the wide flat trims as well as tassels, beads, etc. but I'm not sure of the best way to use them on straight panels, as I have seen mostly decorative valences. I have attached pictures of the fabric and various trims. Thanks for your help.
MarleneM
All I can think of is adding another fabric in a style like this.

June 26, 2014 at 10:24PM        Thanked by Rhonda Bovine
Rhonda Bovine
Thanks, MarleneM. I already have a very large pattern on my sofa in this room along with a busy oriental rug. What do you think about adding a vertical leading edge to the panels in a cream solid dupioni silk and using the tassel fringe there?
I am thinking something like the inverse of this ..

June 27, 2014 at 4:39AM   
Patricia Colwell
I am thinking I would have not gone with another pattern.
June 27, 2014 at 6:43AM   
Rhonda Bovine
Right, Patricia, and I looked at solid linens, metallics, small stripes and could not ever get one that I loved. The room is large with lots of light, and the scale on this quatrefoil is actually complementary to the large scale on the sofa. I have a solid leather chair and a simple texture on the other chair that reads as solid, so I am very happy with this choice. Here's a picture of a room I love with successful mixing of patterns, textures and colors. However, I don't care for the draperies in the pic that Marlene posted at all.
June 27, 2014 at 7:11AM   
MarleneM
Rhonda, the pic I showed you was just an idea of a way to use trim on side panels, so what are the alternatives? I personally like trim better on the sides of side panels if they are being swagged back. Are you planning on this or leaving them hang straight? I think the drapes in your pic are lovely and work because they are darker than other fabrics giving the room drama and contrast.
June 27, 2014 at 8:05AM     
Rhonda Bovine
Yes, MarleneM, I agree, In the pic, its a great way to use the trim to make it really stand out on the side panels, and the contrasting fabric allows the trim to pop.

In my room, I really don't need them to swag back, and they are planned to hang as straight stationary panels on rings. I am also wondering about the idea of a full pole that spans the entire 14' foot door or doing the shorter poles like the picture you found. What do you think of that? My plan at this time is a full 16' pole mounted just under the crown moulding and rings for the drapes. Here is a pic of my french door sliders from my front door .
June 27, 2014 at 2:49PM   
MarleneM
Rhonda, you have a very elegant home. Definitely would do one long rod to crown moulding. Shorter rods would be best suited to stationary windows, not sliders.
June 27, 2014 at 4:26PM        Thanked by Rhonda Bovine
Chroma Design
A couple of observations. Yes adding a trim to your panels would like great and is appropriate to the level of detail thought your home.
I hope you mean each panel will be two widths per. With a five inch goblet, one cut will not have enough folds from a typical 54" width of fabric. They would appear, for lack of better description, like pig tails on your 12 ft span.
Finally, based on the door height, your ceilings appear to be 8'6". At best they are 9'. With that, a 3" rod is too fat for that ceiling height. 2" or 2 3/8" rod is very full and better scale to the room. I would suggest you consult a window treatment professional of an interior designer to get the best result.
June 27, 2014 at 5:43PM   
Rhonda Bovine
Yes, MarleneM, the single 14' pole is what we are going to use, and I agree with you, the short ones definitely would look a bit skimpy in this room. The panels will simply hang straight, as I have no need to swag them back, but I agree with you, trim looks great when it does swag back to show off that silhouette.

Hi Chroma Design, absolutely will be using 2 widths of fabric PER panel, no pigtails going on here, LOL! Actually, all my ceilings are 10' and these doors are 8' tall and 12' wide, not sure why the angle of that picture is misleading. I did go back and check the fluted pole dimensions and it is just a 2" pole and looks great in the room, and will be mounted just under the crown.

I found the following beaded trim and would love any comments about different ways to highlight drapery panels. The plan is to use burnished gold dupioni on the leading edge and attach the beaded trim vertically down the panels. I do love the goblet pleats, and am quite curious about also working some trim around the top of these pleats similar to the second picture and the houzz inspiration picture.

Oh, and I am so very fortunate to have a fabulous designer who will create this finished product as I can't even sew a button, so excuse the pictures of the mock up, I am just playing with ideas and hopefully getting some of yours! And here is a picture of goblet pleats that have a very small leading edge on the top along with a button detail that is nice. Ignore the colors. :)

June 27, 2014 at 6:53PM     
laurakdesigns
Looks like you're on the right track, it's beautiful
June 27, 2014 at 9:41PM        Thanked by Rhonda Bovine
MarleneM
I like all your ideas a lot. And I like the beading trim better than the tassels.
June 27, 2014 at 11:41PM        Thanked by Rhonda Bovine
Chroma Design
Rhonda- I'm glad you have the rod sorted out. When I saw 3" stated in your post, I was concerned. Btw, it wasn't the perspective of the picture that made me think your ceilings were 8'6", it's that I began with the assumption your door height was 80" and guesstimated the rest using typical widths for door casing and drop from crown. I"ll take a house with 10' ceilings every time :)
You're definitely on the right track. I liked your logic for choosing the large scale quatrefoil to relate to the scale of the sofa pattern. As well as the cream dupioni leading edge. I don't care for tassels on panels, usually, because I don't like the way the lay. They look limp. Tassel fringe is okay but also consider onion fringe. The added dimension would be interesting. As for your goblets, my preference is to not embellish them, but that's up to you. Good luck!
June 28, 2014 at 7:53AM        Thanked by Rhonda Bovine
Rhonda Bovine
Ha! Chroma- Looking at that pic again, I can see that the cased opening trimwork is what makes it appear distorted and that is not really the ceiling in the living room.

Here's the "Before" picture of the doors that are getting the new window treatment. So, I have had scads of tassels up there and it made the room feel dark. And, really, I don't need any limp tassels at this stage of life! LOL! My goal here is to be updated with a fresher fabric, but still to keep my rug/sofa/furniture. I have worked on decluttering. :)

So, the small scalloped beading makes me smile. :)
And,the workroom may not want to embellish the goblets either! Can't wait to have our final meeting and decide for sure what is feasible. I do like the small button detail, but I probably need to go with one or the other to make the right statement. I saw some great onion fringe but the right colorway was not available.

Of all the pleats, french, inverted, goblet, etc, what is your favorite?

I really love the inverted pleats, but read that you lose the look unless they are stationary all the time and that made me steer toward the goblet pleats as these might be stacked back a bit just because we will use these doors. My dining room panels have butterfly pleats, and I really wanted a much deeper pleat on these draperies.
June 28, 2014 at 9:58AM   
Chroma Design
Rhonda- I like all pleats, in that, they all have their place. Goblets are a stately look and the shape is eye catching. I recommend those. Adding a button is nice but beyond that, I think an embellishment at the goblet would compete with the other details.
June 30, 2014 at 4:46AM   
Rhonda Bovine
Yep, I have been really thinking about that .....These will be stacked back a bit and I think the buttons might just get lost in translation, however, the workroom now has the trim fabric/beads and the quatrefoil is ordered. I'll post the "after" pics when they are complete. Thanks so much for all the comments and help. I love Houzz !
June 30, 2014 at 7:00AM     
Hanging Picture for Isabelle
Hi, I want to keep this picture on/over the mantle,...
Update look of all white brick house
What color roof, light fixtures, door?
Should Girls bathroom match the rest of the house?
Should the girls bathroom match the rest of our house,...
Dining Window treatment
I can't decide what to do about window treatments....