Kitchen rugs?
aking646
Put in new flooring and I want to protect from spilling water from sink to dishwasher. Do I use 2 small rugs or 1 large? And - isn't using one large rug going to hide my new flooring? Need to connect dishwasher and clean up the kitchen but debating about rugs?
Perhaps a rug between the sink and dishwasher, and another rug in front of the stove.
0 Likes   June 26, 2014 at 7:35PM
rocketjcat
Use a paper towel and wipe up your spills as they occur. No rugs.
5 Likes   June 26, 2014 at 7:43PM
armchairshopper
A 3' x 5' synthetic runner with a rubber backing would fit the space between your sink and your dishwasher but leave much of the rest of the floor showing. I love strategically placed throw rugs in busy patterns. They keep the floor looking clean longer as they absorb incidental drips. The rubber backing keeps the moisture from coming through to the floor. The rugs launder well. Normally I am a snob about using natural fibers, but for kitchens and bathrooms I find that olefin and nylon fibers work best for my needs.
1 Like   June 26, 2014 at 7:58PM
adivra
Spills happen. Deal with them when they do. Rugs look icky and have to be washed constantly anyway. The floor will still get dirty even with a rug.
4 Likes   June 26, 2014 at 8:15PM
K. Powers & Company
A rug in front of he sink will protect your new floor and add a decorative touch to the room. I suggest one made for indoor/outdoor use as they are durable, resist staining and are available in a wide range of colors, patterns and sizes.
6 Likes   June 27, 2014 at 4:20AM
Ramona
Okay, so I put hardwood everywhere and crossed my fingers. My mom moved in suddenly after I bought the house because I needed to be her caregiver. She had bad hands and dropped a lot. I didn't want dozens of dents and scratches in the floor. I have a very light kitchen, light cabinets, light counters, light walls. I bought a black wool rug in a trellis pattern with lots of colors in the trellis and a Hoover carpet steamer. It doesn't get as gross as you might think. Would I put wood in the kitchen again? I honestly don't know. I certainly love the look. Were we more careful it would have been okay, but we are human beings. The rug covers the work triangle and leaves the rest of the floor bare. It actually enhances the room imho. It sure is comfy on winter mornings and late at night. i first bought a medium shade cotton rug which I thought I could get cleaned easily. Not so. I think we all wish we knew the ideal floor to unify our living spaces. Maybe my next home will have super water resistant laminate everywhere or that new premium vinyl. I love the look of concrete, but not unless I am living in the tropics and feet and legs then have a problem. Maybe someone will invent a gel floor that cleans itself somehow.
5 Likes   June 27, 2014 at 4:39AM
hatetoshop
You could put a small rug in front of the sink for comfort and spills. When filling or emptying the dishwasher, just make sure you carry the dishes over the the countertop if wet. And, as others suggested, clean up spills as they happen. Nothing remains perfect and new-looking forever, so enjoy the beauty of your floor today.
1 Like   June 27, 2014 at 4:53AM
lovebugsmom
It is just not water that may ruin your new floors. Dropping a heavy pot or can may dent the floor, I would put a rug to complement the colors in your nice kitchen.
2 Likes   June 28, 2014 at 7:05PM
Hyde Evans Design
I'd skip the rugs. They'll just get spilled on (yes, I know that's your plan) but dirty rugs have to be professionally cleaned. Floors can be wiped up as you go.
0 Likes   June 28, 2014 at 7:16PM
hayleydaniels
Rugs are a practical solution to your problem. Don't let the desire to be 'decoratively correct' prevent you from making your kitchen safe and functional for you and your family.
2 Likes   June 28, 2014 at 7:17PM
adivra
Indoor/outdoor rugs are a great solution. Nice ones are available from PB and C&B among others. My objection is having to machine wash or worse, dry clean, throw rugs.
0 Likes   June 28, 2014 at 7:55PM
aking646
Adivra
What is PB and C&B?
0 Likes   June 28, 2014 at 11:18PM
hatetoshop
Pottery Barn, Crate and Barrel
0 Likes   June 29, 2014 at 2:01AM
Kitchen Rug(s) Dilemma
I need some textiles in my kitchen. I would love to...
septem80
Kitchen rug/rugs question
My kitchen table sits near our back door (French doors)....
Brooke Harvey
Need help for Kitchen - what should I do?
What should be done in my kitchen to get cosy athmosphere....
Rok
will this ceiling molding make my ceilings appear taller?
I have 92"-93" ceilings. I have simple crown molding...
ayeymg
Omg I just bought a couch and I want to return it but can't. Help me m
Room is across from kitchen at the entrance of the...
minnows
Is glass tile like this a particular "style"?
Is this style 3x6 glass tile backsplash considered...
ayeymg
happycl8