Do I use these chairs?
xtine74
I have a completely empty dining room - I had been planning to go white with light blue/greys , hoping for a contemporary but comfi look. However ...

I've been given a set of 5 of these green leather chesterfield captains chairs. I love the shape of the chairs, the colour wouldn't be my first choice but I think they could look good. Only thing is I really am stuck with what colour table to go for and as I'd prefer the table to sit 6 can anyone think of an accent chair that might work with these too?

Would love to use these but really don't know how I can make them work :/
Ramona
They are a neutral dark green. I think you have a lot of options. What shape and style table attracts you. It doesn't have to be the same color wood and there are hundreds of upholstered dining chairs you could use. Blue and green is a fine color scheme.
June 27, 2014 at 4:52AM     
The chair works well with the parkay flooring.
June 27, 2014 at 4:52AM     
hatetoshop
Here's some pics that might steer you in the right direction. One of the problems you may have is finding a table that the chairs arms will fit under.

Dining
Stinson Beach House
Fire Places
Maine Coast At Its Best
June 27, 2014 at 5:08AM     
Ramona
June 27, 2014 at 5:12AM     
hatetoshop
Oh, and love the chairs!
June 27, 2014 at 5:15AM     
xtine74
Thank you all! Love the examples and the reassurance given!
I tend to prefer a rectangular table and don't mind so much if the chair arms don't sit fully under.

I tend to be a bit matchy matchy which I guess is why these chairs have me a bit confused.

Have seen this table on ebay locally and wonder if you think the glass might work? It's possible I'm only drawn to it as I think the woods might match - with both being reddish
http://bit.ly/VtqRHf
June 27, 2014 at 5:46AM   
Ramona
I wouldn't try to match the woods unless you got an exact match. Interesting table. If you consider it, make sure you take a chair to it to see the colors and proportions together.

Your chairs look high quality and seem well worth using as a base for your room.
June 27, 2014 at 11:07AM     
xtine74
Am still struggling with this. Feel like i've looked at every table on the internet and am going round in circles. Am now considering, to avoid mismatching wood colours, having a go at upcycling an old table and painting it a very deep sophisticated green (such as Farrow and Ball Studio Green). Any thoughts ?
July 11, 2014 at 8:45AM     
bluenan
Yes, to the suggestion of painting an old table. A green table is not an idea you see everywhere and for me that's what makes it such a great idea. You can build a very interesting and sophisticated room around an unlikely pairing.
July 11, 2014 at 9:13AM     
Maureen
A mid-century rectangle glass table. Adding a 6th chair may look odd, so move the 5th chair to a wall or corner or another room and add two chairs at ends. Type in mid century dining chairs under Products in Houzz and you'll see lots of chair examples that would work. La Biscuiterie Viau; Rénovation décoration maison 50's
July 11, 2014 at 9:36AM     
xtine74
Thanks ladies. Yes also looking out for 2 end/accent chairs, to even things out. I'm liking the approval for painting a table green and busy now looking at mid century dining pics for more inspiration .
July 11, 2014 at 1:16PM   
Ramona
I don't think the table needs to be modern. If you've looked at all those modern tables and didn't find something which attracts you, look elsewhere.

]
July 12, 2014 at 5:34AM     
Ramona
July 12, 2014 at 5:41AM     
Ramona
July 12, 2014 at 5:43AM     
July 12, 2014 at 5:55AM     
Jarret Yoshida Inc.
if they are comfortable, keep them and repaint and reupholster. they're cool!
July 12, 2014 at 6:57AM   
Ramona
Jarret, the chairs are in perfect condition. Why would anyone reupholster over good leather?
July 13, 2014 at 1:37AM     
xtine74
Some fab ideas here , thanks again !
Ramona I've paid particular attention to the examples you shared, LOVE them !

I've figured the ones I particularly like ave a lighter colour table with darker chairs. Particularly liking the light grey. , rectangular tables with cabriole legs. (like the one attached )

Also a bit of progress has been made in realising I have to have furniture that I LOVE . I'm going to make sure I love the table and hope these chairs will suit and if I don't love them I'll pass them on to someone who will.
July 13, 2014 at 2:53AM     
joyallen1
I think you will regret that you can't push chairs in under table. Hope you have lots of space.
July 13, 2014 at 3:59AM   
xtine74
Possibly but as I said above if I don't love the look I won't use these chairs and will find ones I do.
July 13, 2014 at 10:30AM   
xtine74
Really happy to report i've got me a table that i believe is gonna look fab with these captains chairs !!!!! It's a pre-owned beautiful glass top Tom Schneider contemporary classic 'Orbit table' and i can't wait to it's delivered on Saturday so i can see how the chairs fit with it !!!

p.s. please excuse my previous couple of posts i think they were made in desperation that i'd never find a table to match these captains chairs and that if i just bought something like the example above then i could give up and go back to the fancy upholstered grey chairs i originally planned on getting. But i should know by now i never give up :)
July 17, 2014 at 8:35AM     
They are not modern, like you want. Get a table rectangle in color of arms and legs of chairs. The chairs have nail head so keep to that look if wanting end chairs. 2 wing back in a print with chair color in it, also with nail head. Or you could go a burlap, with nailhead. To die it together.
July 18, 2014 at 10:52AM     
Sorry didn't read yr last post. But glass will work. So glad you found something.
July 18, 2014 at 10:55AM     
halfpint2
I love the chairs!! I think painting a table in a green is a great idea!
July 18, 2014 at 11:00AM     
xtine74
It's arrived! Already wondering what next for this part of my living/dining room! A sideboard or console or just an oversized canvas or mirror :/
July 19, 2014 at 3:33AM     
xtine74
P.s. The blanket box isn't staying there!
July 19, 2014 at 3:34AM   
bluenan
Very cool!
July 19, 2014 at 6:46AM     
patriciarhall
Lovely table with the chairs. You can pull the chairs away from the base of the table a few inches to loosen them up. The green chairs can stand alone and you don't have to match anything to them.
July 19, 2014 at 6:52AM     
xtine74
Thank you Bluenan and Patricia! I have to admit I'm really pleased with how they look together! I'm looking forward to working on the rest of the room bit a little anxious as I'm feeling warm gold or brass type tones will fit quite well whereas I'm normally such a sucker for chromes and cooler tones.
July 19, 2014 at 7:02AM   
patriciarhall
Consider antique brass with a modern flair. A light fixture hung 36" above the table will do a lot to make the room feel occupied and welcoming.
July 19, 2014 at 8:21AM     
bluenan
They are making more fixtures with a mellow, aged brass now. The circle light below has silver and gold. You can also use an iron chandelier and add brass through accessories.
July 19, 2014 at 9:13AM     
dominiquejordan
LOVE, LOVE those chairs! Regardless of what else you decide, beautiful design will always match a tasteful room!
July 19, 2014 at 9:41AM     
Gray & Walter, Ltd.
Bank of England chairs are a classic, you can pair them with contemporary pieces too. Try buying a pair of small wing chairs and use them as host chairs upholstered in a contrasting leather or fabric/leather combination. Have fun with it, this is not cancer thankfully!
July 19, 2014 at 9:52AM     
Ramona
Lovely choice. Remember you don't have to match metals. Mixing them is fun and interesting. You need just the right chandelier.
July 19, 2014 at 10:32AM     
July 19, 2014 at 10:38AM     
Ramona
And I would consider painting. Start making this room a jewel which can lead you towards inspiration for the rest of the house. Surprised you went with round. I prefer round tables. You can ignore the green of the chair, treating them like a neutral, or you could pick it up. I am not a wallpaper person, but I would consider it for this room, but you have to love it, just love it. But a spectacular chandelier should come next.
July 19, 2014 at 10:40AM     
xtine74
I'm quite surprised I went for a round table too , but when I saw this table I just 'knew' it would work :)

I totally agree lower lights look fab over a dining table, however with my room layout (plan attached) I want to have some flow between living and dining area and always envisaged symmetry in the light fittings.
I've also attached a pic to show the current identical light fittings (same papered ceiling, roses and coving) .

Wouldn't it look weird to have a low light fitting on one side of the room and higher on the other?
July 19, 2014 at 12:38PM   
Ramona
You don't need symmetry in those lights; however, depending on your furniture arrangement, I am increasingly enamoured of chandeliers in living rooms. They need to be positioned carefully as in over a coffee table etc. Lots of examples here on Houzz of just that.
July 19, 2014 at 12:46PM     
patriciarhall
is the light fixture in the larger room in the center of the space? You should consider complimentary light fixtures rather than identical ones. Here's a sample - not your style - but a sample of complimentary fixtures.
July 19, 2014 at 12:46PM     
Ramona
It can look divine

]
July 19, 2014 at 1:16PM     
xtine74
Wow, that is divine Ramona! Definitely getting added to my ideabook. Am curious to hear more about your thoughts on wallpaper in this room (I must admit I've never thought of it as I have a strong bond with crisp white matt painted walls lol).

Thanks Patricia good to see similar but not identical lights work together. And yes the ceiling light fittings are centered in both living & dining areas.
July 19, 2014 at 2:13PM   
Ramona
Color on the walls is the cheapest and most effective way to get drama and excitement, and it can be changed relatively easily. Neutrals in the big furniture pieces. If you have a love of crisp white, you may find that one room with color will change your mind. I wouldn't invest in wallpaper if you are so in love with white. Paint as an experiment is easier and cheaper.
July 19, 2014 at 2:44PM     
csevene
@xtine74 Great job finding table to go with those fabulous chairs!!!
July 19, 2014 at 4:00PM     
jen046
Love the chairs and they look great with the table. I kind of wish the glass on the table were about a foot larger in diameter.
July 19, 2014 at 4:19PM     
jen046
..."was" about a foot... Sorry for the grammar-abuse!
July 19, 2014 at 4:20PM     
Do I have to use TWO bergere chairs or can I just buy one?
I have a hearth room off the kitchen and I am using...
How do I use this wall color with a chair rail?
Hi! I'm on my second pregnancy and I have a chair rail...
Do you have information on these used chairs I purchased?
Can anyone tell me the origin of these chairs which...
Please help with window treatment
I started sewing these curtains but I hate the fabric...
back splash to coordinate with Caesarstone Calacatta Nuvo?
Our kitchen is being installed but I'm stuck as to...
Please help me with my lighting!
I know, duplicate post, but forgot to add pics and...
LANDSCAPING HELP! Front of house - Landscaping - Ashby, MA
The width of the house is 38'. The front yard is 105'...
Storybook Ranch needs facelift and curb appeal
Our first house together! And I'm stuck dealing with...