Wood trim or white?
flyr4fun
I just installed a new entry door and window and need to install casing and window trim on the inside wall. The door is a dark mahogany and the window is white. The house has white baseboards and white trim framing the opening between the entry and living room, shown in the photo. I previously thought the door casing should be mahogany to match the door but looking on Houzz, I have seen many dark doors trimmed out with white mouldings. Is there a design rule to follow here? I'm thinking I don't like the moulding on the entry way opening and will likely remove it, if that makes any difference. Thanks to all that can answer this for me.
Email
annmarie2
I believe the general rule is to use the same color trim throughout the residence. That provides continuity from room to room. The exception would be if you were doing a room with stained wood wainscoting or something similar.
June 28, 2014 at 10:09am      Thanked by flyr4fun
I agree that white trim would be entirely appropriate if that is the color throughout. In our house (circa 1929) all the doors and bannisters are solid dark walnut and all the trim is painted white (and this is the original combination). It looks great together.
June 28, 2014 at 10:15am        Thanked by flyr4fun
Bad staircase design...please help!
We are not around to monitor our new build, and ended...
Need help with open floor plan layout
I'm struggling with decorating a living room that abutts...
Need help deciding on chandelier for my kitchen island.
I will be renovating my kitchen and I'd like to put...
Any help for my room? Thanks!!!
Hi, I'm hannah, I am going to be a junior this year...
Backsplash Suggestions For This Kitchen
Hello. My family and I are moving into our new home...