What to do with this room?
Cheryl Eidinger-Taylor
We just bought an ocean-front home. And while I know of some things we are definitely going to do (rails chgd to glass or wired and lighting right away) I am not sure what to do with the beams (dark wood) and the wooden ceiling (lighter wood) and what colors to use because I am bringing my purple (think eggplant) shade-like sectional and sage colored chair for the room. They are more contemp looking. Kitchen is being redone next year (yuk) so try to ignore that.
rocketjcat
Beautiful house! To know what to do with the beams, I think it would be good to what is your plan for the floor?
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Cheryl Eidinger-Taylor    June 29, 2014 at 8:26AM
Audrey DeKam
The kitchen redo is a linchpin on this bc of it being an open space. But in the meantime the flooring is the biggest competing element I think. If you can redo it w a neutral tile it would tone things down. A nice linen color for the walls. Oh and paint out the interior door under the stairs! Will look much more fluid. Enjoy the beach!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Cheryl Eidinger-Taylor    June 29, 2014 at 8:32AM
Cheryl Eidinger-Taylor
Thinking tile for much of the flooring but also considering hardwood. Access to the beach is more likely from walk out basement so sand is not a big concern there. One other option I have considered is using a Berber frisée (in a light color) in the area you would consider the living room to create some room definition within the open space. Thoughts on that?
    Bookmark   June 29, 2014 at 8:38AM
sarainitaly
I would not do a carpet for a beach home. Just feels wrong, to me. I would do a ceramic wood tile, or some cool large tile. The beams could work very well, depending on your flooring and kitchen remodel. Attached pics show stairs and beams working together. You could paint either the lighter wood, or the beams, white, and leave the other natural, and do your stairs in a matching material.
4 Likes    Bookmark   June 29, 2014 at 8:46AM
sarainitaly
more
3 Likes    Bookmark   June 29, 2014 at 8:50AM
rocketjcat
I think a combination of tile and light carpet would be fine, but then there's the big question of where to stop and start it especially around the hallway by the hutch. If you can tolerate the wait, I think I wouldn't do anything else until you do the kitchen, then do the whole room. It will be much more cohesive. Please don't paint the beams (if that's what you're thinking) until the design for the whole space is on paper. They are beautiful and could work as is in a modern space.
    Bookmark   June 29, 2014 at 8:51AM
larkspurproject
Changing your flooring will make a huge difference. I agree with no carpet and stick with one, two max surfaces. A cream travertine would be beautiful and would go with any style. I like the idea of whitewashing the ceiling and beams, or white ceiling with driftwood stain for beams. Keep the walls a light neutral so they don't compete with the other elements in the space. Enjoy, it's a great space with lots of potential!
1 Like    Bookmark   June 29, 2014 at 9:40AM
Cheryl Eidinger-Taylor
Tile on floors -gone, cork above cabinets - gone, carpet over wood floors upstairs - gone, brick on island - coming down now
1 Like    Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 7:08AM
Brandi Nash Hicks
Wow ,looking good,can't wait to see more
1 Like    Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 7:26AM
Brandi Nash Hicks
Keep the beams ,I think they will look perfect when everything else is done
    Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 7:26AM
sarainitaly
How exciting! Are you keeping the wood floors upstairs? Great find.
    Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 7:27AM
Cheryl Eidinger-Taylor
Yes the floors upstairs are staying and getting refinished next week

Cabinets are going to be repainted with rustoleum white and counters resurfaced with rustoleum counter resurfacing in darker color until next year when I redo whole kitchen
    Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 7:57AM
Cheryl Eidinger-Taylor
American cherry floors going in first floor and eventually stair case and rails replaced
2 Likes    Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 8:05AM
Cheryl Eidinger-Taylor
Sarainitaly - on your second post of staircases, first pic on left. I can't find this to save? Any ideas of how I can?
    Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 8:22AM
sarainitaly
I just google searched it, not sure where I found it now. You can screen capture the larger image of it. I dont like the viewing/saving feature on houzz... too hard to get/download. Will check when I get home. On ipad now.
    Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 12:20PM
2 Likes    Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 1:05PM
What to do with this room????
sunroom? breezeway? its a room with our slider for...
Korinna
what to do with this room?
We have totally remodeled a 1968 house we bought and...
latchaw
What to do with this room
French doors faces north. East facing door into kitchen...
Ellen Innes
What to do with these rooms??
We currently have a little sitting room off of our...
staceyonion
Great/Family room help
want to update and brighten space but stuck. I would...
lmayo
Want to update my never been finished living /dining room.
Need to work with the sofa and striped chair and...
Anne Berry
slumpstone
Can I dry stack slumpstone block for a garden retaining...
avb1234
Renovated kitchen
I have no kitchen walls, have 22" Between around the...
odee55
Awkward exterior! How to update and make more like cottage
May be interested in this home to purchase and renovate....
dlstalnaker