Kitchen and Great room colors..
rachelshannon
I am trying to find the perfect gray color for my kitchen and great room. Can you give me some advice in the Sherwin-Williams line. I would also like to have white trim. Why is picking colors so hard :)
samsamyd
Picking color is hard because your perception changes depending upon what the color is next to as well as how it is lit by room or window lights. And different people perceive colors differently.

I recently went with a 'Benjamin Moore" color (Whale Gray) for my kitchen/great room, and except for my sister who has for 20+ years gone with the lightest of creams (take white, add 2 drops yellow per gallon, we're done) I am liking the results very much. These photo make it look a bit lighter and less blue undertone than I perceive it to be in reality...but maybe they'll help you out.

The stark white trim is, in my mind, a must. In grad school, the house I rented had a darker shade of gray on the walls, but it had oak flooring and 1920's WIDE moldings all around, and no wall was 'unbroken' by molding
June 30, 2014 at 9:25pm        Thanked by rachelshannon
Photos of the room would be helpful.
July 1, 2014 at 5:17am      Thanked by rachelshannon
rachelshannon
I love your hardwood floors samsamyd. What kind of stain did you use? Also, our house is not finished yet but I can tell you that I have high ceilings in the great room and very large windows that are facing east. I will get a lot of natural light.
July 1, 2014 at 6:19am   
samsamyd
My floor is engineered hardwood - Acacia with an espresso stain. It came prefinished (Rewards Flooring). I chose the acacia as it has a lot of light/dark variation and I (being a hobbiest-wood worker) appreciate seeing the grain variations. Under most lighting it looks a bit darker overall...more .like you see in the photo with the white door, rather than at the table photo. It does show dust and footprints in low-angle light, so you might want to go a bit lighter stain unless the morning light raking in from the east won't bother you.
July 6, 2014 at 7:10am   
samsamyd
Oh, and by the way, the word for 'color changing color depending upon what it is next to' is metamerism (found it on a paint manufacturer's web site).
July 6, 2014 at 7:12am   
Patricia Colwell
New word for the day. I have used C2 Vancouver Day as my go to light gray, it seems to work almost everywhere I have it in my house. Revere pewter from BM which can be color matched from SW
July 6, 2014 at 8:47am   
glschisler
My large wall of windows also face east. Great in the morning but by 2 pm the great room is dark. I suggest the lightest, brightest gray, & colorful accents.
July 6, 2014 at 9:03am   
Jesse's kitchen - what kitchen would look good?
I'd love some ideas for a total kitchen refit, some...
Back splash and wall colors
What backsplash can you use with crema pearl counter...
Need help with flooring for our new hill country contemporary home
We like handscaped wood floors but not sure about using...
POLL: Tiny Houses - Yes or No?
Do you see tiny houses and long to pitch your belongings...
Wall colour and fireplace tile ?
I want to change the colour of my walls as well I need...