Is it necessary to put a chair rail around the medallion over the cook top?
lisaoneal
March 27, 2012 in Photo Questions
Is it necessary to frame the stovetop medallion with a chair rail? I'm remodeling my kitchen and have 3x6 subway tile in staggered placement for the backsplash, then for the medallion, a mosaic tile four rows deep bordering harlequin tiles within the mosaic. Therefore, the medallion will be flush with the backsplash. My designer is pushing toward a chair rail to add depth, but the chair rails only come in white or cream, whereas my backsplash tile is desert gray by rittonhouse . I found a slate chair rail that picks up colors of a mosaic that will go around the subway tile. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
LORRAINE G VALE, Allied ASID
Hi Lisa,
'Medallion' tiles are usually set going in a different direction or they are a different size from the backsplash tile. So, it is necessary to border your center design, in order to make the transition from the backplash to the medallion. A chair rail can be a heavy look, but it depends on size and design. A decorative pencil can accomplish the task.
Hope that helps!
Lorraine
March 28, 2012 at 2:40PM   
Trilogy Kitchens
It does not need to be a chair rail. There are several different peices that you could use. I small pencil peice can be used they are usually 12" long and you can get them in 5/8" wide to a chair rail size. Or you can use 3x6 as the boarder. Dal-Tile has several complimentary color to the desert gray if you wanted to use a different color.
March 28, 2012 at 6:51PM   
lisaoneal
Thank you so much!
March 29, 2012 at 1:42PM   
Need major advice for a church sanctuary
This is a picture of the left side wall of our sanctuary...
Curb appeal help!
We just bought this 1973 brick ranch and I don't know...
Help!! Curtain design challenge!
Hello all, I desperately need help with the windows...
IKEA kitchen remodel
I loved our charming country kitchen but the cabinet...
Need Help for How to Paint Nursery
Hello! My husband and I are expecting our first child...