My New (old) Craftsman House - help me choose step color
Karen Fisher Alaniz
Hi. I'm thrilled that I just bought this 1910 Craftsman style home. As part of my deal on the home, it was just painted. There is a beautiful brick pathway leading up to the steps. My question is about the steps and the long pillar things on each side of them which are made of cement. Currently, they are cement-colored and a worn reddish color. It looks to me like someone tried to match the color of the path bricks and painted them that color. It is wearing off and looks old and neglected compared to the newly painted house. What color should I paint them? My thoughts are to either try to match the brick-red color better, or paint them the color of the trim, or the color of the base of the house. But I'm open to suggestions. Also, do you have suggestions for paint to use that will be durable. Thanks so much! Karen
hellolimetime
I think you should paint them the colour of the porch floor.
Very cute house!!
July 2, 2014 at 7:50pm        Thanked by Karen Fisher Alaniz
Karen Fisher Alaniz
Hadn't even considered that color. It's gray. Thanks.
July 2, 2014 at 8:50pm     
Karen Fisher Alaniz
Anybody have other thoughts?
July 4, 2014 at 6:40pm   
Leanne Michael L U X E lifestyle design
Love your new house! I don't think brick paint should ever be painted for outdoor applications. However, you could weather it to give it a paler natural worn look that would go very well with a craftsman cottage look and compliment the butter yellow and white paint on the house. Typically I would suggest round river rock on pillars for a craftsman like yours, but weathering the brick would have the same appeal. Then all you need are a pair of matching concrete ornaments and or a pair of planted pots to add life and interest to your entry ~ have fun!
July 4, 2014 at 7:03pm      Thanked by Karen Fisher Alaniz
patmacb
Power wash first! You might put a stone facing on the pillars. A gray paint on the steps would be my choice.
July 5, 2014 at 9:26am      Thanked by Karen Fisher Alaniz
Agape Designs
Regarding the walls flanking the steps, paint or stain would help but is still a cosmetic fix. I would recommend facing the block with a brick or stone veneer with new limestone caps. This would also give width (or mass) to these walls which appear too 'skinny.' This might have been originally intended -based on the rather large overhang of the existing wall cap. I recently completed a similar porch make-over. See picture. I hope this helps.
July 5, 2014 at 10:08am        Thanked by Karen Fisher Alaniz
HI -- I had a house that was just like this ... yours has so much charm ! For the sides of the steps ,-they should be like the porch sides . Yellow on the sides and white like the trim color on the top. Match the step color the same as the porch floor grey . After cleaning use a good masonry paint . Then add an accent color in red or black such as two much bigger pots in front instead of the terra cotta ones. And put them behind not on the stone wall .How about a red front door ?? Also add some larger black house numbers more up front instead of the little ones on the door frame .
July 5, 2014 at 10:44am      Thanked by Karen Fisher Alaniz
Karen Fisher Alaniz
lefty47 - I just moved in and decided not to tackle everything this year. The pots on top of the wall are odd to me. I'd rather they be up close to the house. But they have the pots set to be automatically watered and all that jazz, so decided to leave it for this year. Thanks for your thoughts. Using the trim and base colors on them hadn't occurred to me. I'll have to go out and picture that. LOL Everyone - thanks so much for your thoughts and ideas. Love it!
July 6, 2014 at 9:56pm   
austinsnake
Just power wash and they will match the rest of the stones.
July 6, 2014 at 10:45pm      Thanked by Karen Fisher Alaniz
Please help me choose perfect exterior colors for my new house!
We just bought this house and want to pick the perfect...
Help with choosing colors for my new house!!
We are building, and I need help choosing colors for...
My new craftsman house...Need help with curb appeal!!!
Just bought this Craftsman house...need help with landscaping...
Please Help Me Choose COLOR for my new sectional
I decided to replace the charcoal sofa with a sectional....
Is this backsplash too busy?
We are in search for our new backsplash. Main goal...
Walk-in shower glass partition
I'm having the hardest time finding a ready made frameless...
Design
I wanted to have a floor map of this house. Planning...
Yikes! Where do I begin with this Kitchen? Needs an update!
Any suggestions on how to update my kitchen? I would...
additional photos for problem great room with 3 focal points.
The attached are the extra pictures of my problem room...