What color cabinets
neets78
I am attaching a picture of my floor tiles being laid down in my new house. This a snap of the entrance to the kitchen. What color cabinets would look best? The kitchen will be U shaped with a center island. I was really hoping to do white cabinets with a white countertop (carrera marble look a like quartz). What do you think?
Patricia Colwell
The flooring looks to be more in the cream, gray colour so maybe think gray cabinets with a calcutta marble that has just a touch of the cream color
July 3, 2014 at 8:48am      Thanked by neets78
Inside Design Carpet One Floor & Home
Painted cabinets are a great idea, whether they be white, off-white, or lean toward the grey end of the spectrum. You are on the right track with the quartz countertops. Avoid real marble at all costs as it is not an appropriate surface for kitchen use (and it will likely cost more). Cambria, Silestone, and other manufacturers do a great job of replicating the look of carrera, calcutta, and other stone visuals in a virtually bulletproof surface.
July 3, 2014 at 8:57am      Thanked by neets78
R.E. West Builders
I had a similar floor that I installed some years back we ended up with some minor detailed cabinets giving somewhat of an antique look with a custom white wash grey that came out very nice.
July 3, 2014 at 9:01am      Thanked by neets78
neets78
Thank you. My cabinet options are a white, eggshell (ivory color with a little more yellow pictures below)), espresso or an extremely light grey (picture attached). I love calcutta marble, but with young children don't think its practical for my lifestyle. I have seen quarters similar to carrera, but not calcutta. Would love to hear about calcutta look a likes.

Would white cabinets with a grey OR espresso island look ok?if so which would looks better?

Picture 1 shows the eggshell on the right side
Picture 2 is the grey

Any and all advice would be appeciated
July 3, 2014 at 9:49am   
Patricia Colwell
I think the idea that marble counters are a hassle in the kitchen always puzzles me , there are marble bathrooms and kitchen counters inEurope that are ages old and still look good with a minimum of care. I still would go with a natural product over a manmade one myself. I have a client in Miami Beach who has had cararra marble floors and counters for 12 years and still not a problem.
July 3, 2014 at 11:27am   
R.E. West Builders
I personally like the Grey however I don't think that thoughs pictures do the cabinets justice. And just to comment off of Patricia marble counter tops are very easy to care for the only thing that would really effect them is a chemical solvent which most common people would not use to clean with. Additionally if you were to go with a natural cut verse manufactured always keep in mind stone imperfections are what makes the top unique so you will never have marble that fully matches not even if it's from a single stone cut.
July 3, 2014 at 12:47pm   
Inside Design Carpet One Floor & Home
The marble in the kitchen issue is a bit strange. It comes down to managing expectations. People in Europe tend to be a little less particular when it comes to imperfections. Much of the world that surrounds them is much older than ours in America, so they are used to seeing time worn looks and surfaces. Those marble surfaces still look terrific in that setting, but may look dingy in most new North American installations.

Marble is a soft porous stone. Polished marble will easily etch with exposure to acidic liquids (tomato and citrus juices). They can also be damaged by certain cleansers. Honed and polished marble can also stain. The stains can generally be lifted out, but not always easily and not always by a home owner. We've had several clients who have ignored the warnings only to later regret having used a soft, light colored natural stone.

I encourage the use of natural stone where applicable and understood, howerver, if a lower maintenance quartz product is more to your liking, consider the following....
http://www.pentalquartz.com/catalog/polished/calacatta, http://www.silestoneusa.com/colors/color/pulsar/, http://www.cambriausa.com/en/Designs/design-palette/Dovedale/
July 3, 2014 at 12:51pm   
The Wiese Company
The flooring looks a little on the "warmer" tone side. I'd go with white cabinets and a counter that has more warm gray veining over a Carrera which is typically very "cool". Best of Luck!
July 3, 2014 at 3:42pm   
neets78
Thank you all.

Would you have suggestions for a "warmer grey veining countertop"

Also, I understand the argument on using marble and that if well maintained it could be beautiful over the years. However, it does not fit my lifestyle. I am open to quartz, quartzite and even granite that could still have that appearance of calcutta marble.
July 3, 2014 at 7:30pm   
What do you think about this cabinet color?
I have a recently purchased condo with birch colored...
Any help for my room? Thanks!!!
Hi, I'm hannah, I am going to be a junior this year...
open floor plan kinda
So we are about to move into our first home. idk where...
Need kitchen cabinet help for a tiny kitchen
I am purchasing a small cottage with a tiny kitchen....