Need help with paint
msboc
I'm in the middle of tiling my bathroom and am having a terrible time finding the right color/shade of paint to match the trim. Is there a rule of thumb that one choses shades that blend with the darker pieces of tile or visa versa? Or do I match the predominant color ? I have two fairly strong preferences. I don't like intense colored walls. ( most of my house is opal with white trim) and I would prefer the walls to be less green rather than more. I've tried about five different shades of Benjamin Moore paint and nothing looks quite right. Maybe it's because I'm trying too hard.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks in advance for the input.
bschr
Your tiles appear to be quite blue green on my monitor, have you tried BM Beach glass?
July 3, 2014 at 8:05am        Thanked by msboc
msboc
First of all, oops for the double thank you.

The colors live tried so far have been. Whispering Spring, Harbor Haze, Summer Shower and Brittany Blue. When I've brought the tile to the local BM store, I've been given three different choices by three different paint people. I will look at Beach Glass today.

One color that I have the chip for that seems to go with the lightest tile is Woodlawn Blue. I'm not crazy about it at all.
July 3, 2014 at 8:33am   
apple_pie_order
The lighting in the paint store is probably a lot brighter than in the bathroom. Try picking out chips of the lightest green colors they have. If there are 20, bring home 20. Driving back and forth is tedious, so just pick out a whole bunch. You might also check their "off whites" because some have a green tinge. IME, most paint store employees at the BM counters are trained in mixing paint, not color matching or color recommendations.

If you are losing your patience, another option is fan decks. I don't know if you can buy BM fan decks from your local place. If you are near a Dunn Edwards paint store, you can buy their fan deck for $17 (in theory, in practice they are often sold out). Pick a good color from that, then get BM to match it, or pick a near-identical BM color.
July 3, 2014 at 8:47am        Thanked by msboc
msboc
bschr- you were right on the money with Beach Glass. I went to a different BM store. The woman pulled it out right away. I got a sample of that and Woodlawn Blue. I think the BG is a dead match, but it's awfully dark for my taste. I've painted samples of both the BG and the WB. Each if them is more green than I would prefer, but such is life. I will make up my mind this weekend. Many thanks!!
July 3, 2014 at 12:45pm     
bschr
@msboc I hope it works for you, it looks different in different lights different times of day. I am glad you took the time to try it!
July 3, 2014 at 9:19pm   
beachlily
Try BM Healing Aloe....very soft blue green...we painted most rooms with it as it's a great neutral.
July 4, 2014 at 6:26am     
msboc
Thanks, beachlily. In the light of morning, Beach Glass is way too dark and Woodlawn Blue a tad too blue. Is there enough color in Healing Aloe to offset all the white tile?
July 4, 2014 at 9:48am     
msboc
After many more test colors, I pretty much decided on Quiet Moments. However, when I look at the test piece on the wall opposite the bathroom door, the color looks too gray. In every other spot around the bathroom it looks okay. How do I reconcile this discrepancy? Should I be looking to get the best match on the very wall where the paint looks off? Any other color suggestions?

Thanks.
July 8, 2014 at 6:52pm   
apple_pie_order
The light is different on every wall. Moreover, it is going to be different throughout the year as the seasons pass.
July 8, 2014 at 8:13pm   
flyr4fun
Colors appearing differently on walls in the same room can be very pronounced or barely noticeable depending on the light sources. I may be crazy, but I have gone so far as to paint different shades of the same basic color on different walls in the same room to compensate for that, so that they "appear" to be the same color. Kind of a PITA, but it would work for your one wall that looks off.
July 8, 2014 at 8:33pm     
msboc
I thought of trying to compensate for the one wall that's off, but what I see tonight is that the wall that's off during the day looks fine tonight. I really am not crazy about the color and am going to try to do a mix of half Quiet Moments and Soothing Aloe. And.... I'm going to check out a few shades of Sherwin Williams.

Finding the right color paint has been the biggest challenge of this project.
July 8, 2014 at 8:54pm     
laurakdesigns
One thing I do when the colors aren't working is to go in another direction. Match the whitish tiles....the green tile will really " pop". It will look better as a background for everything else.
July 8, 2014 at 9:20pm     
doctornancy
I have Quiet Moments in my bathroom. It is a very soothing grayed blue. You may find that you need to paint the entire bathroom to tell if you like the color. Also, once you have bath towels and pictures on the wall, your focus won't be on just the wall color.
July 8, 2014 at 9:32pm     
msboc
Yes. Going in a different direction is why I have the two darker colors up there, an effort to pick up on the dark gray/blue tiles. ( I just can't live with such dark colors. ). But can you explain what you mean by matching the white tiles? Do you mean the white tiles in the trim or the square 4x4 tiles?
July 8, 2014 at 9:33pm   
laurakdesigns
They look pretty similar on my iPad, either would work. It will be a clean, crisp look.
July 8, 2014 at 9:35pm   
doctornancy
Your existing wall color may be affecting your perception of your paint chips. Have you tried painting a large area and covering up all the adjacent colors? It may give you a better idea of how the color would look. Without the adjacent colors, Quiet Moments looks like a saged blue.
July 8, 2014 at 10:59pm     
msboc
Thank you, doctornancy. Is that picture compliments of Photoshop ? It's very helpful.
July 9, 2014 at 11:37am   
doctornancy
Msbox - yes, photoshop - gotta love it. I use it for almost everything now. What will that lamp look like in my home? Photoshop it. Will that paint color look good? Photoshop it. What scale pattern should a rug, or draperies, or pillows have? Photoshop it. I tried to get a business going doing photoshop for interiors - I called it "virtual design". I thought I'd save folks lots of money and time buying, but, alas, no market. I never could find anyone willing to pay for it. I think people get some find of satisfaction out of the hunt. So I get my "fix" here on Houzz and hopefully help some folks at the same time. Good luck with your bathroom. I vote for Quiet Moments.
July 9, 2014 at 12:20pm   
bennnie
If Quiet Moments is too much color, perhaps BM In Your Eyes might work.

in your eyes
July 9, 2014 at 12:50pm   
bennnie
sorry - I thought a link or the color would be pasted to post.
July 9, 2014 at 12:52pm      Thanked by msboc
msboc
I was going to mix Healing Aloe with Quiet Moments, but will look for In Your Eyes and try both.

Photoshop idea is very cool. Sorry I have only learned the bare basics.
July 9, 2014 at 1:08pm   
msboc
Thanks bennnie. I looked at the chip and it's too blue. I sure wish my trim had that color. I've just painted a swatch of Healing Aloe and Quiet Moments combo. Will have to wait for tomorrow to get the full effect.
July 10, 2014 at 4:19pm   
Need help for removing dinning room and kitchen wall ???
My husband is thinking to remove right side wall to...
Need help for kitchen ???
We bought this house a couple of years ago and kitchen...
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
Okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
Best music to play while housekeeping?
I never get more cleaning done than when everyone else...