What paint color should I use?
Nancy
My living room has two windows facing North and not much natural light comes in. Eventually I will get table lamps. This room has no ceiling lights for some reason.

I'd like to keep it light in color as well as throughout the house. I wouldn't mine a shade of white or cream color.

My couch is a soft cream color. I get bored easily and change pillows and throw rugs so I don't want a color that doesn't go with anything.

Advice appreciated.
Tina DiSalvo
You have a beautiful home. I love the wood floors. What kind of style are you trying to achieve? Also, a picture of what your home looks like now would be better - we could give you some pointers. :)
1 Like   July 3, 2014 at 8:10AM
shellabella
I just built a home and had no clue what color to use on walls. I wanted it neutral so I could bring out colors with accents like pillows, rugs etc.... I used sherwin Williams silver lining. Although it looked a little purple at different times if day, once I started bringing accents in, it was a very neutral color. I'm happy with it. Goes with everything.
2 Likes   July 3, 2014 at 8:17AM
Nancy
I like a contemporary style. Clean lines, neutrals with pops of color. As I said, I get bored easily and like to change things frequently.
0 Likes   July 3, 2014 at 8:28AM
Tina DiSalvo
I like that style too. :) Are you looking for something like this:

0 Likes   July 3, 2014 at 10:32AM
Nancy
Yes Tina! I like that style. I want to stay away from dark colors though.
0 Likes   July 3, 2014 at 10:36AM
Nancy
This is my couch and I have 2 chairs. I like to change the pillows frequently.
0 Likes   July 4, 2014 at 4:23AM
rainymorning
I've just painted a north-facing room in Benjamin Moore Philadelphia Cream. It's warm, fresh, airy and classic.
0 Likes   July 4, 2014 at 5:17AM
Nancy
Chemayne, the first picture lighting looks similar to my room. I'm afraid if I choose a color that isn't white, it'll be too dark. This room has no ceiling lights. I don't know if table lights will be sufficient to brighten it up.
1 Like   July 4, 2014 at 5:36AM
Nancy, there are two ways to approach this. You can add sunlight by using a yellow based neutral . . sw blonde is a proven one that should echo your upholstery. The other approach is to embrace the darkness of the room and go dark on the walls - it often makes it feel bigger (surprisingly) when it is dark and smaller but this does require commitment to at least one neutral over the other so it sounds like it isn't for you. Either way, you will want to add more lighting than ususal (table , floor, uplights under plants, wall mounted battery powered art lamps, and so on ..
2 Likes   July 4, 2014 at 5:48AM
Nancy
I'm afraid to go dark from past experience. Maybe that's why I prefer light colors now. What about a BM Linen White or Navajo White? Are those too white and boring? Any BM paints you can suggest with a yellow tone? I know I'm trying to play it safe. This is nerve wracking!
0 Likes   July 4, 2014 at 5:55AM
glschisler
I agree about using a cream with a yellow tone in a north facing room. BM can match the SW BLOND. Or use the color swatch to match theirs. :)
0 Likes   July 4, 2014 at 7:10AM
Nancy
I saw some pictures on Houzz with SW Blond. Looks nice! I'm going to see if I can get a sample of it. Thanks everyone!
2 Likes   July 4, 2014 at 7:27AM
Nancy
Got a sample of SW BLONDE. I'm going to paint a poster board. Looks great in the container!
3 Likes   July 4, 2014 at 10:03AM
natalie126
I love restoration hardware paint schemes and have used them in two apartments I love all the colors!
0 Likes   July 4, 2014 at 10:35AM
rainymorning
Paint look lovely on the monitor. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it works for your room.
0 Likes   July 4, 2014 at 10:40AM
Nancy
Here's SW Blonde at 5pm. How do I know if it works?
0 Likes   July 4, 2014 at 1:58PM
rainymorning
You have to paint several white poster boards and place them around the room. Remove the blue painter's tape from the edges and use it double faced behind the samples so that its color doesn't throw you off. Next, look at your samples at different times of the day and at night to get a feel for it. Ask your self if it's the right value (is it too light or dark?) and try to imagine yourself enveloped in the color when all the walls are painted. It will darken the room from what it is now. Is that okay? Do you like the warm tone with your warm floor.? Would you prefer something more neutral or cool in color?
0 Likes   July 4, 2014 at 2:16PM
Nancy
Thanks. I will paint more poster boards and look at it during different time of the day.
0 Likes   July 4, 2014 at 2:25PM
How do I paint this iron bed and what color should I use?
I'll be getting this bed from a family member shortly....
mrs1916
What colors should I used to paint my living room walls I have brown and beige couches
What colors should I used to paint my living room walls...
gonzaal18
What paint color should I use to correlate with put master bedroom!?
Our bedroom is a light green. I am having a hard time...
wnlatton
wnlatton
What color paint should I use to make a beach themed bedroom for my daughter
I have weaved tan baskets and the room is currently...
lycanwolf26
Please help with my small living/dining room
I live in a semi-detached home and have a condo-sized...
cdubbz
rredpenn
pergola designs for this new deck
Struggling to find an attached "killer" pergola design...
mifla
Furniture placement help needed- very small nursery.
Hi, I am having a very hard time figuring out where...
amysettle
Help! Need Exterior Paint Color to Match White Roof in Florida
Goal #1 to reduce our solar heat gain thru color,...
1pinkharley