Caring for terra-cotta flooring
nikkinalJuly 3, 2014
We are remodeling and love the look of terra-cotta flooring, but I am worried about the maintenance. After the initial seal, how often will we need to re-seal to keep it looking nice? I do not want a worn, dirty look. Also, what does resealing entail? We would definitely hire someone to do it. Thank you for your input!
Michelle Scott for Ethan Allen - Laguna Niguel, CA
It all depends on the porosity of your tile, and the type and quality of the sealer. This is where shopping and research are your best friends.

Some terra cotta tiles (ex: mexican pavers) can vary because of the way they are made -

You can purchase them pre-sealed which helps. Terra cotta tiles are porous by nature, and using a penetrating sealer will help retain the look of the raw tile. There are also surface sealers, which if applied correctly will help with long term maintenance.

Having been through the process of having an entire home's worth of clay tile being stripped and re-sealed because of years of the previous owner waxing the floors for 20 plus years, I can attest to the fact that starting out sealed has it's advantages.

There are some amazing porcelain and glazed tiles that emulate the look of terra cotta, without the sealing and maintenance issues. I encourage you to look at some of these options while in the fact finding part of your decision making.
    Bookmark   July 3, 2014 at 9:05AM
bathroom colors with terra cotta floor
walls have been textured and painted light beige, floors...
nevertoolatetostart
love the terra cotta floor tile
Hello! I am hoping to have a similar tile installed...
georgette8
Traditional Terracotta tile OR Manganese Terra Cotta tile?
Gone are the days of the hacienda style Mexican floors....
Rustico Tile and Stone
My living room is a tad too stark! Suggestions?
Artwork layout, window treatments, lamp shade, and...
carolbrandywine
paint color for a dark dining room
we have moved into a new (old) home. Our dining room...
Mary Baldwin
wat color kitchen cabinet -not white - dark brown floor black counter?
i want to know which color kitchen cabinet works best...
lijo3
Help with fireplace and mantel
This fireplace feels oversized for the room and I think...
shbrown3
How should I deck my walls?
There will be a distressed hickory wood floor and new...
Lisa JMW