Caring for terra-cotta flooring
nikkinalJuly 3, 2014
We are remodeling and love the look of terra-cotta flooring, but I am worried about the maintenance. After the initial seal, how often will we need to re-seal to keep it looking nice? I do not want a worn, dirty look. Also, what does resealing entail? We would definitely hire someone to do it. Thank you for your input!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Michelle Scott for Ethan Allen - Laguna Niguel, CA
It all depends on the porosity of your tile, and the type and quality of the sealer. This is where shopping and research are your best friends.

Some terra cotta tiles (ex: mexican pavers) can vary because of the way they are made -

You can purchase them pre-sealed which helps. Terra cotta tiles are porous by nature, and using a penetrating sealer will help retain the look of the raw tile. There are also surface sealers, which if applied correctly will help with long term maintenance.

Having been through the process of having an entire home's worth of clay tile being stripped and re-sealed because of years of the previous owner waxing the floors for 20 plus years, I can attest to the fact that starting out sealed has it's advantages.

There are some amazing porcelain and glazed tiles that emulate the look of terra cotta, without the sealing and maintenance issues. I encourage you to look at some of these options while in the fact finding part of your decision making.
    Bookmark   July 3, 2014 at 9:05AM