Yay or nay red rug? Help me complete this room!
reginalackowski
Looking for ideas about how to complete my dining room. Would love to hear advice about window treatment ideas, whether or not the red rug should stay and what to put on the walls! The plate collections is made of family plates from the matriarchs of the family, so I would like to keep those on the wall. Thanks in advance for all your great advice!
Michelle Scott for Ethan Allen - Laguna Niguel, CA
The rug is a pretty strong color statement - if you are keeping the rug, you should repeat that depth of color several times in the room.

If you can pull the rug into another space, you can go with a softer palette.
0 Likes   July 3, 2014 at 9:38AM
with your plate grouping (which is a great homage to your family, btw) I might be more inclined to go in a softer color direction -
1 Like   July 3, 2014 at 9:41AM
Allison
My vote is no on the red rug. I love the plates and would try pulling one of the lighter colors out of them for a rug and accents. Love the picture that Michelle Scott posted, I think a rug similar to the picture would look great.
1 Like   July 3, 2014 at 9:50AM
ARKETYPE
The red rug is too strong, I would draw more attention to the walls.. the plates are lovely. May repeating the motif of objects on the wall? I've seen empty frames displayed the same way. This room has a soft vintage feel, and I would try to coordinate finishing items around that (as opposed to bringing in more red to balance out the rug)
1 Like   July 3, 2014 at 9:50AM
reginalackowski
any idea where I might find a rug similar to the one in the second photo you posted, Michelle? All the pieces are from ethan allen :)
0 Likes   July 3, 2014 at 10:33AM
I knew I recognized the pieces, but I didn't want to sound too "salesy" That rug is one of the hand knotted wool rugs - but the colors may be a little too warm and gold for your greys. The other rug I posted, also hand knotted wool could work really nicely for you -

Modern Ikat Rug
Dimension: 7'9" x 9'9"
Item# 041442L

You can email me if you have questions.

mscott@lagunaniguel.ethanallen.com
0 Likes   July 3, 2014 at 10:46AM
lyndadube
I love this space! Wouldn't change a thing except : how about a cut glass or crystal Chandelier? And a modern table cloth; no bright colors just bold/modern shapes. This would work. Fantastic!
0 Likes   July 3, 2014 at 11:19AM
Maureen
The plates look great, but wondering for the size of the wall they seem a bit lost. Could you find/add more and perhaps move them to the opposite wall. Over buffet, add a large mirror and candles on top of buffet for a lovely reflection in the evening. Would you consider painting the chairs and the lower portion of the walls white, which will make the room seem larger. This would really compliment your lovely end chairs. See second picture for ideas on a rug and curtains, based on going lighter/softer in your room. If you can lower the chandelier and add finishing touches with something larger on buffet and decorative on dining table. Dining Room; Sea of Blue
0 Likes   July 3, 2014 at 11:46AM
reginalackowski
Yes! I am also looking for ideas about a new light fixture (the one pictured came with the home!)...thanks for all your ideas so far!
0 Likes   July 3, 2014 at 2:01PM
adivra
Not a fan of the red rug with the furniture. A more neutral one would work better. Love the plates, but I think you need to add to the collection and add a lamp to the buffet. Unless privacy is an issue, I think sheers would work well..
0 Likes   July 3, 2014 at 2:22PM
Studio NOO Design
Well, I like the red rug, love the pop of colour if you add red artwork too.
0 Likes   July 3, 2014 at 2:58PM
bgfuqua
I like the softer idea, and love the plates.
0 Likes   July 3, 2014 at 3:15PM
Exposed ceiling in dining room? Yay or nay ..
We are fixing up our 175 year old farm house and we...
atupper
Just me this weekend "YAY" Need help redoing daughters room
This is my daughters old bedroom. I would like to...
cleanlady1
Help choosing a rug to complete living room Pls!
I have a tiny apartment, I am sure I do not need any...
claudtrillo
please help me complete this room
Could you please suggest accesories, color and furniture...
fisayooke
Help me to complete my living room please !
Finally i can to complete my living room now What...
durrah13
Living room arrangement
I have a living/family room with a window or door on...
84stitches
Grey to date ???
Thinking of going for greys in my kitchen. But scared...
Michelle Roe
Need a tie-breaker on this bathroom vanity
Any opinions? (excuse the horrible quick Photoshop...
R K
bedroom ideass
any ideas for decorating a small black and silver room...
imogend
Bedroom Design Help
Hi! I recently re-did my teenage daughter's bedroom,...
simerjit