Need help with arranging my living room furniture
brendar928
Hi, I need help with my living room. The living room is part of an open space with a kitchen and dining area. These are the pieces of furniture that I have: 2 couches, coffee table, desk and desk chair, book case and a television. This is the only living room in our home, and we will be spending a lot of time in it. I want it to be cozy and a place where we can relax. Thanks in advance!

p.s. we are just moving in thats why some things are out of place.
flair lighting
swap the bookcase and tv and put the chair on the other end. move the desk out entirely
0 Likes   Thanked by brendar928    July 3, 2014 at 4:38PM
flair lighting
you need a larger coffee table and an arm chair. if you can a longer console table for the tv. put the floor lamp between the couch and love seat once you move it.
0 Likes   Thanked by brendar928    July 3, 2014 at 4:40PM
brendar928
Thank you Flar Lighting for your suggetions! I would like to keep the desk in the living room area because i have nowhere else to put it. I will switch things around and post another photo!
0 Likes   July 6, 2014 at 4:45PM
flair lighting
get your furniture set, and your art work, then move the curtains and accents.
1 Like   July 7, 2014 at 11:45AM
brendar928
Okay so I switched the bookcase and the tv stand, but I'm not sure about it especially because it is so wide and right now it doesn't seem like we will be replacing it. Thoughts?
0 Likes   July 8, 2014 at 8:45PM
phooman
Yikes, I get queasy just looking at that tv! It looks like it's going to fall. I would maybe use you current coffee table as a tv stand (the tv needs to be lowered slightly anyway, and you could place say a DVD player underneath) and use the dresser-like stand somewhere else in the house.
Also, new curtains, a bar and a hook on either side of the window would be nice. What do you think about about white curtains with some sort of lime green color splashed on? (Your throw pillows are green, right?)
0 Likes   Thanked by brendar928    July 8, 2014 at 10:51PM
brendar928
The more i look at my old living room in my new place, the more i dislike it! I agree, the bookcase, the tv stand, and the coffee table need to be replaced. But they wont be replaced for a few months at least. These are the dream color schemes that I like right now, which seem complete opposite of my dark colors, right?
0 Likes   July 9, 2014 at 12:42PM
flair lighting
put the book case on an angle in the corner. im wondering if you can swap the couch and the love seat, to open up the wall with the desk. perhaps pulling the couch in and then putting the desk behind the couch like a console table....
1 Like   July 10, 2014 at 10:16AM
brendar928
Flair lighting, is this what you mean by switching the love seat and sofa?mHowever I don't think there's not a lot of space to put the desk behind the love seat...
0 Likes   July 11, 2014 at 7:16AM
I'm gonna work on your room today, but my first admonition: NO MORE BROWN! Your second color scheme from design seeds above (the one with the daisies) is where we'll head.

You absolutely must replace that media console. It's too short and will be forever out of balance. I have an idea to address it easily and inexpensively with a floating shelf.

The lighting in the space needs to be addressed as well. It's very harsh, and very yellow. Is it all coming from that single floor lamp? Does it have a shade?

I'll return later with some suggestions and a visual.
2 Likes   Thanked by brendar928    July 11, 2014 at 7:33AM
R Robulock
It is very dark in here. I agree with groveraxle NO more brown. If you have to stay with the sofas for now, then I would suggest some light colored pillows to brighten them up.

I am sure groveraxle can help you with this, a long floating shelf for the TV consule would work great and even give you some room for a desk nook on one side where the bookshelf is now. Get rid of the desk.

A nice round coffee table would be nice, but first I would put the expense on the window covering. A nice light gray with white accents or just a white curtain would do the trick.

Are you renting, if not, can you paint the walls? Lighting is an issue as well. The easy & most affordable right now is to replace the bulb with a "daylight" bulb, "soft white" always looks yellowy. Good luck.
0 Likes   Thanked by brendar928    July 11, 2014 at 8:15AM
brendar928
Thank you for your feedback! I agree, no more brown!

The media console: i agree that its out of balance. However, I do have to say that it does a very nice job of hiding: a play station, a cable box, a surround dvd system, and about a collection of 100 movies and video games. And I would like those to remain hidden.

As far as the lighting, I took the above pictures at night, but I want to say the room gets really good lighting during the day. I'll try to take some day photos
0 Likes   July 11, 2014 at 9:10AM
brendar928
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30285153/#/80285155 what do you think of this? to replace the bookshelf and media console?
0 Likes   July 11, 2014 at 9:25AM
http://www.target.com/p/threshold-strie-vertical-stripe-window-panel/-/A-14368466#prodSlot=medium_1_22

Because of the lighting, I know the colors in your room are totally inaccurate. If you could give us a better daylight photo, it would be a help. Still, I've chosen the curtains from Target linked above, moved your loveseat nearly to the window wall and pulled your sofa in as well. I haven't placed your desk yet, but I think it belongs somewhere on the other end of the room, behind the sofa.

All the pillows are from Target as well. Stick to blues and whites to lighten up this space. No more brown, green, or yellow, at least till the lighting is resolved.
1 Like   Thanked by brendar928    July 11, 2014 at 10:22AM
2 Likes   Thanked by brendar928    July 11, 2014 at 10:25AM
brendar928
If we do the white bookcase and the white media console, should we do the coffee table white as well?
0 Likes   July 11, 2014 at 11:23AM
flair lighting
yes that is much better, the long wall can handle the desk now. Grover is right the lighting is an issue, but i think the TV stand is first. I would get a nice long one and get rid of the book shelf all together. put the tv more to the corner end, and hang nice piece of art on the center of the wall.
0 Likes   Thanked by brendar928    July 11, 2014 at 11:34AM
flair lighting
other thoughts...
0 Likes   July 11, 2014 at 11:39AM
I wouldn't do a white coffee table. There's nothing wrong with the one you have now. Get white in your pillows instead.
1 Like   July 11, 2014 at 1:54PM
brendar928
Okay so my husband and I spent some time at ikea yesterday, and we ended up coming home with this tv stand: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90201688/

And a white billy bookcase and wall shelf.

I felt good about our purchase until I realized that this stand is 47 inches long and our tv is 42.

Is this stand too small?
0 Likes   July 12, 2014 at 7:29AM
brendar928
If we return that one then we will be going with this one which is still within our budget:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80227797/
0 Likes   July 12, 2014 at 7:33AM
Definitely go with the longer TV stand. It will look immensely better.
0 Likes   July 12, 2014 at 11:47AM
flair lighting
The longer the better, with in the wall space you have!
0 Likes   July 12, 2014 at 11:52AM
brendar928
I love my new tv stand and I would've never had thought of doing white, but I'm pretty satisfied. Thank you all for your feedback. I'm going to take a break and come back so I can finish decorating and figuring out our desk
1 Like   July 16, 2014 at 8:33PM
HUGE improvement! Good work. Now, get rid of the torchiere lamp. If I'd realized what that was, I'd have had you look at lamps while you were at Ikea. ;-)

Take a break. We'll still be here when you're ready to look at lamps and stuff. If you can give us a shot of the whole wall where the desk is, we can probably help with that, as well.
0 Likes   Thanked by brendar928    July 16, 2014 at 9:58PM
flair lighting
Wow. by moving the desk out and taking down the "curtains", the space looks fantastic, and lived in now!!! hope you are feeling accomplished! maybe an armchair for a reading corner...
0 Likes   Thanked by brendar928    July 17, 2014 at 10:49AM
brendar928
I'm back and ready to decorate! What size curtains should I buy? Also, any suggestions/tips on creating a photography wall gallery behind the couch?

Any suggestions on the desk? We probably won't be buying a desk or chair anytime soon but I'm interested in hearing ideas.
0 Likes   August 15, 2014 at 9:05AM
flair lighting
continue with another shelf and small desk with a chair that is casual but can be used for a desk. for the art wall, yard sale, or thrift shop a bunch of frames in random sizes, then tape them out on the wall with blue tape before making holes in the wall.
0 Likes   August 15, 2014 at 12:32PM
flair lighting
i think sea grass or tan blinds.
0 Likes   August 15, 2014 at 12:33PM
Brenda, what a difference! The room is looking great and the colors look much better in daylight.

I like flair's bamboo blinds. They're not too expensive at the big box stores and I think they'll cut them to size.

Do you already have the photos for a gallery wall? The real trick here is making the arrangement cohesive. If you use flea market frames, spray paint them all the same color. If you buy new frames, they can be expensive, so check Ikea first.

When it's time to lay out the arrangement, do it on a big piece of butcher paper or alternatively, cut pieces of paper to size and tape them to the walls. Then you can move them around without making holes.

Some well-done gallery walls below:
Shoshana
Breda Clifford
My Living Room
Brooklyn, Co-op
1 Like   August 15, 2014 at 1:43PM
flair lighting
love love love the "my living room" photos...........i need a wall lol.
0 Likes   August 15, 2014 at 2:26PM
brendar928
Great ideas! I think we are sticking with the white blinds for now but we are buying curtains. What height should they be if our ceiling is about 9 ft tall?

I really like the "my living room" wall gallery!
0 Likes   August 16, 2014 at 10:08PM
You won't be able to hang your curtains any higher than the bottom of the sloped part of the ceiling. That part looks to be somewhere between 7 - 8 feet. If it's 8' or less, buy 84" curtains, hang them from rings to get a bit of extra length, and place the rod so the curtains just kiss the floor.
0 Likes   August 17, 2014 at 5:54AM
ritafamilant
Grovelaxle, and Fair lighting, could you please take a look at my posting in the discussion forum? I love your suggestions to other people, I hope you can give me you input too. Thank you http://www.houzz.com/discussions/1119330/Help-to-choose-chairs--window-treatment-
1 Like   August 17, 2014 at 6:23AM
brendar928
Okay I've added curtains and I'm working on finding pillows that I love. I also moved the direction of the desk which works a lot better. I just need to find a better/compact chair for the desk.

Based on the colors that I have, what color frames (for my wall gallery) would you all recommend? Black, white, or a variety of colors? The wall gallery would go above the couch.
1 Like   August 29, 2014 at 12:44PM
flair lighting
looking just fantastic!!! love the blue pillow, and curtains, but i think you need a few more panels to fill it out
1 Like   August 29, 2014 at 12:46PM
flair lighting
i might do a variety of pastel frames.
1 Like   August 29, 2014 at 12:50PM
I would not do a variety of frames. Gallery walls always look more cohesive when the frames are all the same style and color. I would do simple black or wood frames. And on a budget, you can't beat Ikea for frames. Some of them even come with mats.
1 Like   August 29, 2014 at 12:55PM
brendar928
How did I do with the wall gallery? Is it too low?
2 Likes   October 9, 2014 at 1:52PM
You did a good job on the gallery wall. It's definitely not too low. In fact, I would have hung it a tad lower, but I'm not gonna make you rehang them all now that it's perfect. ;=)

This room has sure come a long way. Good work, brendar.
0 Likes   October 9, 2014 at 2:23PM
Wow! Loved reading through this and seeing the transformation. Great job!
0 Likes   October 9, 2014 at 2:30PM
flair lighting
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh im so excited this room just came together....looks great!
0 Likes   October 9, 2014 at 3:35PM
Need help arranging furniture in my living room.
My living room has two large doorways which face each...
Need help arranging furniture in my living room!
I am in the process of purchasing furniture for my...
Help my living room! Need to buy furniture and arrange it.
I just moved from a small two bedroom apartment to...
Need advice for powder room decore
What should I do powder room ceiling lighting and vanity...
how to treat wooden panel?
just brought a older home, looking for a way to refreshen...
A completed project
Here’s a beauty salon we completed recently. It...
Need help decorating my fireplace and living room.
Could someone please provide some ideas on how to decorate...
Color dilemma
Any advice as to what color to paint dated end tables...