Strange designs: Contractor thinks sink need not be centered
lwg808
Our contractor had a custom built 78" cabinet made for our master bathroom. There is a cabinet with two doors on each side with a center bank of drawers. There are three wall mounted light sconces and two separate mirrors. In order to center with the mirror between the lights, the undercount sink would not end up centered over the cabinet doors. Part of the undermount sink was to be placed on one side of the cabinet door with part of the sink lying over a portion of the top drawer in the center bank of drawers. This would be repeated on the other end of the cabinet as there are two sinks. I stopped this and am trying to figure out how to best fix this. Options are to 1) rebuild the cabinet; or 2) affix one large mirror and use 2 lights. Anyone have any ideas on how else to help fix this? The attached picture is not to scale so though it looks like room to work with, the lights can't be moved further because of wall switches and a shower on the other end.
hatetoshop
I would go with one large mirror and lose a light. Not sure how that affects the lighting in your room though. Sorry this didn't work out for you, but you're going to love all that storage.
0 Likes   July 3, 2014 at 3:55PM
lwg808
Thank you--it's what we're probably going with. I am trying to have the two lights put in so I can see how much light is thrown out--I have a problem with low light.
0 Likes   July 3, 2014 at 3:58PM
PPF.
I'd fix the cabinet. Without a scaled drawing it's impossible to suggest how.
0 Likes   Thanked by lwg808    July 3, 2014 at 4:34PM
Carol
Can you center a sink over each set of double doors, use smaller mirrors, and maybe 4 lights instead of three? You could also do the big mirror with two lights and add recess lights over the sinks.
0 Likes   Thanked by lwg808    July 3, 2014 at 5:00PM
UniMode Woodworking & Design
Even if you going to eliminate center light , and place one big mirror instead of two ,it's not going to solve your problem . Because simply those two sidelights will stay in the same place and your sink will have to be offset anyway ,just the way it is right now! In my opinion it doesn't matter if it's offset or not, as long as it comfortable to use and designwise it looks very nice with the two mirrors and three lights.
0 Likes   Thanked by lwg808    July 3, 2014 at 6:30PM
Carol
How about a big mirror with cut outs for the three lights?
1 Like   Thanked by lwg808    July 3, 2014 at 6:38PM
UniMode Woodworking & Design
The way I see it,big mirror will look overwhelmed , to much...go with two separate mirrors the way it is ! Unless there's other reasons that you don't like two separate mirrors ? I think 2 mirrors would look much cleaner and more modern than one.
0 Likes   Thanked by lwg808    July 3, 2014 at 6:46PM
lwg808
Thank you everyone! Carol, I hadn't thought about using 4 lights--that may be the easiest way to remedy. I know that all of you can only offer limited advice without measurements. I so appreciate the helpful suggestions and opinions. If we can't do it with 4 lights and narrower mirrors, I think we'll have to redo the cabinet, even though we'll lose some storage.
0 Likes   July 3, 2014 at 8:34PM
lwg808
Update--just measured and if we did the 4 lights, our mirror would be only 1 foot wide at most. Using one big mirror with 2 lights is out, also, as the lights we have won't throw enough light for makeup application, and I don't want overhead lighting as it'll throw shadows. So, I think we will need to redo the cabinets so they work with what's on the wall (as well as what the plumber did). Finally, we contemplated going with the offset--but we'll lose our top drawer in the drawer bank, leaving only two usable drawers! Sad situation...
0 Likes   July 3, 2014 at 8:47PM
PPF.
If the plumbing is set up correctly, you can often fit a drawer at the bottom of a sink cabinet.
0 Likes   Thanked by lwg808    July 3, 2014 at 9:49PM
Closet Experts
I personally have built this situation for my own house, making sure I created functional storage instead of kowtowing to convention. Your cabinetmaker or installer should be commended for being willing to do this instead of what is easy. In my case, I also have the drawer below the sink cabinet too. Love all the useful drawers!
0 Likes   Thanked by lwg808    July 4, 2014 at 4:32AM
Kyla
We have the same setup - 2 cupboards (sinks above) and 3 drawers in the middle. We went with one large mirror and 2 lights above.
0 Likes   Thanked by lwg808    July 4, 2014 at 4:46AM
lwg808
Thank you, everyone. I did not say that we've already incorporated the bottom drawer (beneath the cabinet doors). It's not reflected in the rough drawing but I asked for it because we've had it done before. I agree that it really helps to add storage!
0 Likes   July 4, 2014 at 10:29AM
Depo SD
I like Carol's idea of having one big mirror with cut-outs for the lights and mounting them directly on the mirror.
0 Likes   July 4, 2014 at 11:08AM
lwg808
I do, too, Depo. We contemplated this but even though we could accept the sinks not being centered above the cabinet doors, we'd lose our top drawer because the sinks would dip into it, rendering it useless. I think we have to accept that the cabinet will need to be redone.
0 Likes   July 4, 2014 at 11:58AM
Depo SD
Could you do it like Kyla's and get yourself a wall mounted lighted make-up mirror? That what I use because I need to be about 6 inches from the mirror, lol!
0 Likes   July 4, 2014 at 12:33PM
Depo SD
I'm just trying to spare you the expense of having a new cabinet built. :)
0 Likes   July 4, 2014 at 12:34PM
lwg808
Hi Depo thanks for the ideas! I am already having a lighted makeup mirror attached to the wall-. The problem with the lights is that there's a doorway on one end and a shower on the other. You can't move the lights out so the sink has to be moved inwards. The space is defined and confined by where the lights can go on the wall, so the sink has to be centered between.
0 Likes   July 4, 2014 at 3:15PM
New house - strange design! :( Need foyer/entryway help, please...
I am so lost with what to do with this entry. There...
amychell
Need help! Contractor thinks leaving it like this is ok....
Can you see what I'm talking about? I don't like the...
Tia Persons
Allen Interiors & Design Center Inc
Need help deciding whether to hire bath designer and/or contractor.
Ranch built in 1964 with very small bathroom currently...
sndown3900
Do I need a Contractor, Designer or Architect?
Hi, We recently purchased a new house that needs a...
marisascip
Desperately seeking color!
Hello, amateur here! I have recently renovated a small...
feltovic
Blinds White or Expresso
Having a hard time deciding between White or Expresso...
blackhawks2000
I need an advice or suggestions for the color and design of my curtain
Small 70 sq m flat.. Attached find the bed and the...
pipo1963
Tile choices for Mediterranean Revival style bathroom
I am trying to renovate a bathroom in this Mediterranean...
pamstamey
Seating area in front of fireplace
Would like to create a mini seating area in front of...
mbocquet