tom boy girl room design
codemay
March 28, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I have a four year old girl that loves Pixar's cars and wants to be a race car driver. I had completed her room in a french pink and light blue with pictures of kids with poodles and shopping with a flower patch quilt and curtains. How can I tie in the cars?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
Funny how our kids become our most challenging decorating clients. I had the challenge of transforming my son's "room at the castle" into a sports lounge recently, using the light color tones of the original as a backdrop for a more serious Ralph Lauren inspired gentleman's trophy room. For the castle room I'd created custom artwork incorporating family members as story book characters, hand painted a bureau as a kingdom, and it was hard to change only a few years after putting so much into it. What helped was to allow myself two large plastic tubs, into which I stashed the most sentimental pieces that I'll present to him someday when I get the wonderful news of a grandchild on the way -- with no pressure to use any of it, of course, just the option to if he's feeling nostalgic.

That said, I'd box up everything poodle and flower patch. Keep your permanent items neutral. I hate to go too theme-y, or have things look too much like it just came out of a plastic bag in a set at the local big box store. But you can bring in artwork and accessories that give you that "Cars" feeling in a little more artisic way.

I asked my local library if I could pay them to use their spare room for an afternoon for my son's 7th birthday, and we transformed the room to the "Cars" theme, to show the movie on a "Zoombox" as part of his party. Since the rug was gray, we used duct tape to make a road into the party from the front door. I'll see if I have any photos -- maybe you could do something a little sturdier by having your local rug store cut you a wavy black or gray rug with an insert of yellow down the middle. There are lots of pinks and blues in the movie, so if you add touches of black and white checkerboard, cactus, I'm even thinking a tire swing hanging from the ceiling -- you can make it fun, inexpensive and creative -- and temporary enough to change again in a few years.
0 Likes   March 28, 2012 at 7:11AM
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
Weird that one photo showed up twice and I can't get the other to post, but I had a banner made saying "Welcome, race fans" with his name and a #7. He made this his first of many birthdays for kids in foster care (a donation rather than a gift for him) and we also collected books to donate to the library.
0 Likes   March 28, 2012 at 7:20AM
michigammemom
This rug would be a cute inspiration for a car themed room. It's functional and great for creative play. http://www.thecompanystore.com/My-Town-Rug/38057A,default,pd.html?start=12&cgid=kids-character-transportation
0 Likes   March 28, 2012 at 7:35AM
PRO
Bedlinen Direct Ltd
some great ideas!
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 5:51AM
PRO
0 Likes   January 3, 2013 at 6:01AM