Colour ideas for loungeroom
blacksun
sorry about the mess in the photos but im thinking a darkish blue would make a nice feature wall. But I am also scared it won't blend into the kitchen. The plan is to get a large mirror to go on the wall near the dining table. Any ideas would be welcomed. We have just moved into the house about 6 months and I want to start making it our own rather than looking like a display home. I like country, rustic, vintage and retro. I tend to confuse myself alot because of this!
Thanks again.
MarleneM
Everything looks nutral right now, so the first thing I would do before picking a paint colour, is to purchase something like artwork in colours you love so you can use that to derive a colour scheme from, although walls don't have to match art. Are you adding any curtains, area rugs? Those can be decided before paint too, make everything so much easier.
0 Likes   July 4, 2014 at 11:10PM
blacksun
thanks for your advice. I found a cheap print to put on the wall for now with blue tones. I will see if I still like the colour in a few weeks. we have roller blinds at the moment. neutral colour as well which matches closely with wall paint as we like the idea of having 'space'. plus they were cheaper than other options :) rug I'm not sure yet. dont know if it would look strange under the coffee table?
0 Likes   July 8, 2014 at 6:05AM
MarleneM
Hi blacksun, I'm glad you found some art, is it going to go behind sofa wall or in dining room? Would like to see a picture of it.
Your space is lovely, just needs some personality, it has a builder basic look now. It's fine to just have blinds and I agree you don't need a rug as your floors are very nice. I do have a couple of ideas for you to bring in some colour in other ways. Have you ever thought of painting your coffee table. It would look wonderful painted! But maybe not as distressed as the photo below so it ties in with kitchen better. Annie Sloan chalk paint would be perfect for that. And add in some whimsical unique pillows to give that country/rustic look and to make it not so builder basic.
Foe the dining room, you could paint the table and chairs white as that would look stunning with your floor, and with wall if you decide to paint it darker.
Now I've given you tons of work! But not spent much $$, what do you think?
An 18th/19th Century American Blue Painted Trunk
Birds on Tree Cushion Throw Pillow Cover Melody
Knit Melange Pillow Cover In Taupe Beige Cream Gray Graphite Baby Blue 12 x 18
Cyan Flowers Throw Pillow Cover
1 Like   July 8, 2014 at 10:32AM
blacksun
Thanks Marlene. I am heading out shopping now to ikea for some inspiration! The print I got was too small for that big wall behind couch :( We've put it in the hallway which I've attached a photo. Thankyou for all your ideas. I do love chalkboard paint. Would love to do a wall somewhere with that. Not sure im ready to do the coffee table though :)
0 Likes   July 9, 2014 at 7:16PM
mick50
Why would blue not go with the kitchen? What are you concerned about clashing?
0 Likes   July 9, 2014 at 7:44PM
MarleneM
mick, I think blacksun was concerned the modern style of the kitchen might clash with the country rustic style she likes. At least that was how I interpreted it. Am I correct, blacksun?
And blacksun, hope you have a good shopping trip. The picture looks nice there, nice blue. Is that a green kettle I see? I like blue and green together.
I understand about the coffee table, it's a gutsy move to paint your furniture. Maybe you can find something second hand to paint and put in one of your rooms.
0 Likes   July 9, 2014 at 9:05PM
Need help with furniture arrangement in loungeroom
Hi there, do you have any ideas how I can make this...
Need a new loungeroom
I need help with my loungeroom, for some reason it...
Yellow loungeroom
I want to paint my loungeroom yellow and I need some...
MOULDINGS ON LOUNGEROOM WALLS
I would like to wall mouldings on our lounge/dining...
Kitchen and loungeroom help
Lounge room/formal dining area is dark with cathederal...
Trim and Ceiling Paint color advice
I need help deciding what color to paint trim and ceiling...
Am I heading in the right direction?
My goal is cottage style with craftsman influences....
Dog's Food Dishes & Water Bowl - HELP!!
So I have 2 dogs - My dining room has a tub that stores...
Need the perfect Taupe wall paint for a great room/kitchen area
I'm trying to find a nice taupe wall color that will...