What am I missing???
Christine Gerlander
Just got the rug, what do you think? I think I need to add a nice drapery panel. I will post again when my buffet lamps come in. What else do I need?
marywashington
What a pretty room! I have the identical chandelier and I love it! I would keep it simple for the drapes. I tend not to use drapes I dont like dust! Your room is elegant and I think you did a great job. How about some fresh flowers for the table. I would collect some things over time that you love and your room will be set!
July 5, 2014 at 12:17pm     
Whispar Design
Beautiful room. I agree with mary - keep it simple and go with stationary panels to add a touch or color and/or texture to the wall space.

I assume the buffet lamps will go on the buffet? Make sure it is not "crowded" when you add the lamps... You may need to split up the artwork (maybe move one to the opposing wall.)
July 5, 2014 at 12:38pm     
HI -- Great room so far . I think drapes would be a good addition . Maybe ones that have a back ground the same color as the walls with a suttle pattern like a tone on tone or just a plain white linen . Hang on a chunky wood rod and rings that is the color of wood beams . Edit some of the items on the buffet . Maybe group the silver items together on one side then have one big item on the other side , like a big temple jar or a sculpture or crystal or blown glass . A big footed bowl with several real white orchids on the table . The rug is real nice but a little too small . Maybe get the carpet store to add a good wide border piece around about a foot or 18 inches wide in the same color tone or find a bigger rug that leaves only about 18 inches of bare floor showing around .
July 5, 2014 at 12:48pm     
andreasartistry
You need more height and excitement above the credenza. Also a tall palm on the left. Don't make panels skimpy.
July 5, 2014 at 1:30pm   
Rug could be larger and have more color...get some of the dark tone of your table in the pattern. Pictures are hung too low and I would love to see a low rectangular lamp with a shade on the sideboard.
July 5, 2014 at 1:49pm     
moogers
IMHO, it looks great! I think the pictures are hung correctly the way they are. Soft panels on the windows, and you're set.
July 5, 2014 at 2:06pm     
Cathleen Gouveia Design
A beautiful refined area rug with color would do a lot for your space. Think about adding a velatura plaster finish to your walls in a soft colorful hue that is pulled from your rug pattern. You might want to think about adding textural shades and/or draperies with a subtle texture. Adding a centerpiece with flowers and a few sculptural accessories would go a long way also. Your photos are hanging a bit too low so go ahead and raise them a bit to eye level.
July 5, 2014 at 2:13pm     
chemayne
July 5, 2014 at 2:34pm     
Christine Gerlander
Should I change out my head chairs to Parsons fully skirted or stay with what I have and maybe do a small pleated skirt?
July 5, 2014 at 3:14pm   
icesk8r
It looks great. I think it just needs drapes to add color and frame it so to speak.
July 5, 2014 at 5:05pm     
mick50
Very pretty room. Since you asked what we think of the rug, I'll be honest. I think the room needs something less casual and not beachy. Since the only color I can see is the blue on the napkins, I'm suggesting a blue Persian from overstock.com. http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Preston-Blue-Tabriz-Rug-93-x-126/5902541/product.html?refccid=H3EJO6YZI77YJV2BTR3M5II3NY&searchidx=157

Having 8 black chairs seems heavy against the light room and buffet (love the buffet!) So, yes, I'd replace the head chairs with something upholstered.

And the room could use a touch of black elsewhere, perhaps black lampshades on the buffet and/or change the frames on your two big pictures to black.
July 5, 2014 at 6:45pm     
Beautiful room. Yes to drapery panels. I would put the plant from the buffet in the center of the table, then clear the rest off the top of the buffet, leaving it bare. I think the pictures are hung perfectly, and framed perfectly, too.
July 5, 2014 at 6:56pm     
Christine Gerlander
I do agree with the lampshades being black. This is not a good picture, but there is black in my 2 dimensional pictures one of which is a black figure and other is a gold. I was going to get some colored chargers and add some color to the buffet somehow. I have 4 of these smaller pictures with gold boating scenes in them with small black frames. I was wondering if I should use them somehow and maybe reframe them. Should I get a seagrass plant for the left side of the buffet?
July 5, 2014 at 6:57pm     
mick50
I like your art...very nice. And I second the yes for drapes. I don't think you need gold chargers or the table being set with dishes, etc. I think it looks better to just do a nice centerpiece, maybe a runner. BTW I attached the chair picture accidentally. It's really too casual for your set.
July 5, 2014 at 7:25pm     
Attractive start, but still a bit colorless (all beige and white) yet busy, with the lines of the shutters and beams, curves of the chandelier, weave of the chair backs and design on the buffet door. I'm not sure why it doesn't sit well with me, or what might resolve that. What is your theme - beach, sea, boating, starfish (on the rug?) Not sure where you're trying to take this. Maybe I'll check your ideabooks.
July 5, 2014 at 8:48pm     
Christine Gerlander
deco I am trying not to go to themed. The rug is star fish but isn't to obvious and the pictures are an elegant coastal feel. We live on a chain of lakes. I can see now that I definitely need to go with panels which are not busy! I need to bring in color somehow. I think my sea grass place mats don't help. I do like the idea of a table center piece being a plant and that will help with color. I attached a pic of my kitchen and dining area. Excuse the mess.
July 7, 2014 at 9:22am     
Christine Gerlander
How do I use a runner and placemats or do I just use place mats?
July 7, 2014 at 10:14am   
mick50
No, for decor, I would not use a runner with placemats, especially the combination shown, as the mats are very rustic/ casual and the runner formal, almost Victorian. They don't match. What I was saying is, for every day decor, I believe most designers would say to not set the table at all...no tablecloth, placemats, dishes, napkins, etc. for decoration. Use ONLY a centerpiece or centerpieces and maybe a runner for color.

Here's an example...kinda busy, but the runner matches the decor of the room and center pieces. http://www.vignettedesign.net/2011/01/following-my-own-advise.html
July 7, 2014 at 4:09pm     
July 7, 2014 at 4:12pm     
pcmom1
Think the room needs more color. Maybe reupholster the chairs. That is easy. And perhaps a larger painting.

July 7, 2014 at 4:16pm     
mick50
Or a plant (I think this is an orchid in a pretty ceramic pot.) topi arise would work, as would a grouping of chunky candlesticks. With or without a runner.

July 7, 2014 at 4:21pm     
mick50
*topiaries not topi arise. Stupid autocorrect.
July 7, 2014 at 4:22pm     
Charlene Monopoli
Pretty fresh flowers is all u need. Keep it simple, u did a great job!!
July 7, 2014 at 4:25pm     
mick50
Yes...like pcmom said...recover the chairs. Looking at the red brick in your gorgeous kitchen, I'd use a red pattern fabric, like the panels in pcmom's picture. Love it with all your white and cream!!
July 7, 2014 at 4:25pm     
melaniepicard
keep it simple it is such a nice and calm room. I would empty the console and add just a vase on the table. clean and simple like this one.

July 7, 2014 at 4:38pm     
pcmom1
Whatever you choose to reupholster chair cushions with could be used to make some pillows for the sofa also. Or something that coordinates!
July 7, 2014 at 4:39pm     
Christine Gerlander
My foyer abuts the dining room. What do you think of this rug? It has the colors of my brick and cream and blue in my living room brown in the floor and kind of coastal colors. I do have a ship chandelier so I guess I am going elegant coastal if there is such thing?
July 8, 2014 at 10:40am   
mick50
Sorry, it just doesn't look right. For an open foyer like this, I think a long runner would work better. The style seems to conflict with the more French Country look of the dining room. And the colors don't reflect the colors of the adjoining rooms. Your brick appears more red than orange. So, sorry, no on the rug.
July 8, 2014 at 11:55am     
tlparks
Sorry, no. Rug looks more tribal or country.
July 8, 2014 at 11:59am     
Christine Gerlander
Thank you. Any recommendations/suggestions. Rugs are so hard for me to pick. Here is a picture of my living room also a work in progress!
July 8, 2014 at 12:16pm     
I think the blue and red touches the living room need to be brought into the dining room. The rug you put in the foyer is not right - again another type of pattern - you are already patterned out in the dining room.
July 8, 2014 at 12:40pm     
edithsmom
Christine, "elegant coastal" may not be a decorating term, but you have it in your lovely, well decorated home. As you can tell from most of the comments, most of us like what you've done and are just tweaking the accessories.
July 9, 2014 at 1:10pm     
Christine Gerlander
I just got these lamps what do you think? There are 2.
July 9, 2014 at 1:15pm     
Christine Gerlander
I think I am done other than drapes, what do you think? I really like it! Do I still need black lamp shades? These are really pretty.
July 9, 2014 at 1:38pm     
What am I still missing from this master bedroom?
Hi. Not sure if / what is missing from here. Would...
What am I missing? Suggestions?
Added this additional patio space, was just a grassy...
What am I missing?
I recently moved to a much smaller condo and am having...
Help me finish this room
We love our new living room / dining room. We have...
Does anyone know what the name of this stone is?
I love this façade, but don't know who makes it or...
Need to brighten up dull kitchen
Moved in a year ago and now want to brighten up our...
Need paint color advice: black ceilings?
My wife and I are buying a foreclosure and having it...
Front door painted black - brush strokes are too heavy
Wood front door was painted black 2 days ago and the...