laying concrete tiles 800 x 800 x 25

Delva LubbeJuly 6, 2014
what is the mix and mix ratio when laying concrete tiles, and procedure. I curently have building contractors doing this for me, but someone im not sure they know what they are doing. As some of the tiles have been laid more than 24 hours ago and they are loose. Please i really need help with this, the tiles are currently being laid in the kitchen, dinning area and lounge.
Kivi
Concrete tiles?? I have never heard of that but tiles should not be loose after 24 hours.
Are you sure the tiles are concrete? Post some pics.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Delva Lubbe    July 6, 2014 at 4:50AM
Kivi
Interesting. I just googled them. It looks like they are simply laid with thinset. So there should not be any mixing ratios involved. Thinset is simply mixed with water. They definitely should not be loose after 24 hours. They can mess up the installation if the thinset starts to dry on the floor before the tiles are set into it. Are theses experienced tile setters?
    Bookmark   Thanked by Delva Lubbe    July 6, 2014 at 4:58AM
Delva Lubbe
Kivi- the tiles are definately concrete yes, i have attached a pic, could u prehaps tell me what is " thinset" ? if u need more pics of close ups i can send. And yes i am useing qualified builders and contractors
    Bookmark   July 6, 2014 at 5:09AM
K.O.H. Construction Corporation
The tile must be laid with a fortified thin-set. Make sure the bottom of the tile is dust free. It is advisable to dampen the bottom of the tile. This will prevent the moisture of the thin-set from being sucked up by the tile. Large tiles need to be parged before installing. If your installer can't explain these procedures to you, then you have the wrong man.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Delva Lubbe    July 6, 2014 at 5:20AM
Delva Lubbe
K.O.H-Could you explain what " parged" is please
    Bookmark   July 6, 2014 at 5:27AM
Kivi
Thinset is a cement based adhesive. By parging he means the back Of each tile is also completely covered in a thin layer of thinset before it is laid onto the thinset spread into the floor. This helps to ensure complete coverage of adhesive for each tile.
Hard to tell from your pic... But it is possible that they are laying your tile using a mud bed installation. Not as common but might be needed if your floor was not flat to start with. Is the layer the tiles are on very thin or is there a layer of an inch or more of mortar under the tiles. Either case though... Your tiles should not be loose. I would be quite concerned about this.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Delva Lubbe    July 6, 2014 at 5:54AM
Kivi
In fact if some are loose already I would be very concerned about how well all of them have been laid. I would suggest you force them to stop until you are certain they are installing properly. Are there other professional tile people in your area that you could call in to get their opinion on the work to date?
    Bookmark   Thanked by Delva Lubbe    July 6, 2014 at 6:04AM
Delva Lubbe
Kivi & K.O.H- The builders are useing a mixture of river sand, cement and bonding liquid, the quantities to mix was given by the supplyer that makes the concrete tiles, and they are a very well know and respected business, i will need to call them in then to make sure and explain or watch and see if the builders are doing this corretly, thank you both for your help, much appriciated, i have attached more close up pics if you can give any more feedback, will be gratefull. thanks again.
    Bookmark   July 6, 2014 at 6:21AM
Kivi
That is a mud bed installation but there should absolutely be no loose tiles after 24 hours
    Bookmark   Thanked by Delva Lubbe    July 6, 2014 at 8:47AM
K.O.H. Construction Corporation
Kivi is explanation is correct on parging. This is what I see. The little stick tells me that they are drawing the mud in and sealing the edges. Does this mean the rest of the tile has proper adhesion. I really don't like it. The sub floor needs to be very smooth and consistent. This slab looks very rough, is this an old home that your remodeling. When we have an issue like your undulated slab our first step is to pour a floor leveler to a achieve a uniformed surface that is smooth. A 3/8 or 1/4 notched trowel is then used. The tiles are tapped down with a rubber mallet, if the correct notched trowel is used the tile will set in proper with a full spread adhesion and there should be a little thin-set starting to perk over the edges but not to the point in runs over the top. Set a tile, tap it down then pull it up to check for full mud contact. Once your convinced of the quantity and procedure that you should feel safe in setting the rest of the tile.
There are no hidden tricks or formulas for this and the probability of bad concrete tile is not there. They are either doing it right or wrong. Don't forget the modified thin-set, it does matter.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Delva Lubbe    July 6, 2014 at 1:38PM
Kivi
There is nothing wrong with doing a mud bed installation which is what your is ( compared to a thinset job which yours is not). However, aside from your loose tiles... It also looks like some of the tiles are not very flush with each other. Unless your concrete tiles are not flat, you should not see very much lippage between tiles. Also the last pic looks like the spacing between some tiles is very different from others. If this is the case I seriously suspect that your tile people are not as experienced as you may have been led to believe. I also find it strange that the tile supplier would need to give mixing instructions for mortar to an experienced crew.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Delva Lubbe    July 6, 2014 at 7:43PM
Delva Lubbe
thanks for the feedback- we have spoken to the builder and the guys who made the tiles, and a decission was made that they must make 100% certain that both tile and surface is wiped down and then the mixture is put down, and also that they must apply a layer of bonding liquid to the cleaned tile itself. With the 71 tiles already laid there is 13 that are loose and must be lifted. I watched as they lifted the loose tiles, the mixture at the bottom has already set, but for some reason the tile did not adhere to the mixture, as the mixture is now very, very hard to remove as it has solidified very hard. And they are really batteling to left this, to apply new. Will let you know what the outcome is by tomorrow. once again thank you, you have been of great help.:)
    Bookmark   July 7, 2014 at 2:45AM
Kivi
If 13 of 71 tiles are loose... In all likely hood a great many more are poorly adhered and may come loose later. I would take a good sized rubber mallet and give each of the other 58 tiles several good hard whacks with the rubber mallet to try and knock some more loose. Any that are properly adhered will not be harmed by doing this. If you are able to knock any more tiles loose...now is the time to find out.

I have a bad feeling that the whole floor might need to be removed and redone properly. Right now the failure rate of 13 of 71 tiles coming loose is already way too high. It points to a serious problem with the installation.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Delva Lubbe    July 7, 2014 at 3:39AM
K.O.H. Construction Corporation
Anything new?
    Bookmark   July 10, 2014 at 4:18AM
Delva Lubbe
The builders have finished the tiles, busy with the skirting's, tomorrow is "D " Day-will then see how many need to be replaced as a result of being loose. Then we need to wait 2 weeks before they start to put the tile sealer over, the reason for the two weeks is so that all the moisture can evaporate. I will send more pics after tomorrow, but it seem's as thou things are going much better now.
    Bookmark   July 10, 2014 at 4:30AM
I want to remodel my original 1950's kitchen to a traditional...
theresal
Self Leveling Concrete for Flooring Use???
Hi Houzzers, I need some help here! Has anyone ever...
modfan
Product name: high quality artificial quartz stone Colors:...
Jany Wu
Patio: rip out the existing 12x10 cement slab patio or work around it?
We have a new house and we opted to put a boring 12x10...
skp0001
Kitchen Remodel - join the fun!
Below is my 7 yr old kitchen in our small open concept...
mamadubbs
Kitchen Help!
I need help with my kitchen. I do not like having the...
Brenda
Kitchen blue? Is it too much?
This blue I chose when the kitchen was enclosed by...
Josie Bohling
Area rug help!!!
Trying to find a coordinating rug for my open concept...
anicolegw
What brand of front load washer do you own and….
….can you wash bath mats or more than 3 large towels...
monika2024