Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
torian_walters

How can I bring light and life to my living room.

Torian Walters
9 years ago
It's a huge living space that needs help and I have no idea where to start. I also thought about redoing my chimney with a lighter stone. To top it all off I doesn't have any windows in my living room.

Comments (7)

• PRO
    Luxe Water Walls
    9 years ago
    Adding a water wall would give you some light. It would also look amazing in your living space.
  • PRO
    1STOPlighting
    9 years ago
    There's a lot going on here fixture-wise. The two fans are placed in sort of strange areas for the space (especially the one behind the TV). I would consider taking out the fans firstly. Then you have an issue of practically no natural light coming into the room, other than what can slip through from the adjacent room. In this predicament I would consider installing some recessed lighting and/or wall sconces throughout the room (potentially with a dimmer) in order to add an additional layer of light to the primary light - this will really help to brighten the space and give you the option of increasing/decreasing the amount of light as needed. As for your primary fixture, I'm not certain that a chandelier is the correct choice as your ceilings are segmented, giving you another unique issue in finding a balance between the fixture, ceiling space, and the pieces in the room. Do you live in a particularly hot area, are the fans a must for this room? - If so, there is a fixture called a "fandelier" - giving you the function of a fan while providing the style of a chandelier, see attached for some examples you might consider!
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Oh man, you should be the poster child for recessed lighting. Get some can lights in that ceiling if you can. Instead of painting the brick, whitewash it; you can find tutorials for how to do it online.

I would move that TV out of the corner and put it on the big wall on a longer console. This one from Ikea is long and low and white (and just over $200). I'm not even gonna ask how long that painting has been waiting for you to hang it. I hung it on the wall opposite the fireplace. ;-)

Whitewashed brick:
    Traditional Living Room · More Info
  • Torian Walters
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I actually thought about putting stone over the brick. This house hasn't had any updates at all. I've been here 4 years and now I'm just getting around to renovations.
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Torian, the brick is not unattractive, just dark. I would suggest the first order of business is getting light in that room. Recessed lighting on a dimmer will allow you to have whatever level of light you need. Supplement with lamps for reading and/or ambiance.

The rest of the room, including the fireplace, will appear totally different under proper light. And there's not much point in putting stone over the brick if you still can't see it.
  • PRO
    Furnished Up Fine Furniture and Home Decor
    9 years ago
    Your room needs more lighting to compensate for the lack of windows (and no natural light coming in.) I agree with groveraxle about the whitewashed brick and recessed lighting. Would you be up for replacing the couch? It feels a bit too big and the shape seems to close off the living room with the connecting room. I feel like you'll benefit better from a smaller couch and then some additional seating on the side.