TV above fireplace or not.
margaymct
Buying a new condo being built from bottom up. The fireplace in main living area is designed to have a shelf above the fireplace for electronic components and then mounting tv above. I didn't like how it looked with the molding around the opening (picture is from model unit) and wanted to make it more formal with a full surround mantel. Now that the house is framed in my kids think I should leave it the same as the model. Any ideas on how to make it look nice if I did leave the shelf and mount the tv?
margaymct
Beach Style Living Room by Hermosa Beach Interior Designers & Decorators Maison Luxe

This is a picture of the look I have in my head for the room. Especially the shutters and curtains.
July 6, 2014 at 5:33PM     
hayleydaniels
I don't like TVs up that high as it puts your head and neck at an awkward angle that can lead to lots of headaches and neck pain from myofascial trigger points that form when the fascia develops a knot in it. The knot then refers pain elsewhere, and unless you know how to deactivate it, the pain can last for days on end.
July 6, 2014 at 5:39PM        Thanked by margaymct
I don't like TVs that high either, but the question is: what other wall can the TV go on?
July 6, 2014 at 6:03PM        Thanked by margaymct
margaymct
This is the opposite wall. The only other possibility would be the corner, but that would put it in front of the window.
July 6, 2014 at 6:38PM   
Experts say you'll shorten the life of your TV above a working FP. You'll also hurt your neck. You could put it on a credenza directly opposite the FP and then place a sofa and two swivel chairs perpendicular to the FP and TV.
July 6, 2014 at 7:47PM   
teresaruns
That would be a pretty high mounted tv. I would maybe have the mantel lowered a little bit or not as deep so you can have the tv a little lower. Might save the neck a little.
July 6, 2014 at 9:16PM   
Look into an RF system so you can put your components elsewhere and operate everything with a remote.
July 6, 2014 at 9:30PM     
Decorating Den Interiors Team Tatera
Shorten the mantel height to keep the television height to a manageable height from a sitting position, or your aching neck will be sorry. You will only make that mistake once, but your chiropractor will be very happy.
July 6, 2014 at 9:42PM   
Bedroom remodel
Hi, need ideas for this room. We're keeping the floor...
What kind of couch would look good in this room?
I have tried to put 2 different couches in this room...
Are my kitchens ideas any good?
Whilst I'm in the process of finding a kitchen/interior...
Modern landscape ideas that work in Denver Colorado
I know this is pretty generic but I'm looking for ideas...
I need any and all suggestions for our basement bathroom!
The countertop was just placed, I'm the process of...