Tile or Hardwood
Kisarau Architect, LTD.
March 29, 2012 in Polls
Would you prefer tile or hardwood flooring in the kitchen?
Tile
Hardwood
Other
laurendreams
I would love wood, but I have an entrance to my kitchen to the back yard, and a dog. I am afraid of how it will hold up. I have seen a plank tile product that looks just like wood. Does anyone have any experience with it?
March 29, 2012 at 11:03am     
bupshill
I currently work in the flooring industry. There are several faux wood tiles in the market place now. You would have the durability of tile and the look of wood. Had it installed for a customer who absolutely raves about it and that it looks so real, people often think its real wood. Keep the grout lines 3/16" or so, and pick a grout that matches the tile as much as possible so it appears seamless.
March 29, 2012 at 1:26pm     
geo55
I have real wood floors in my kitchen-- Looks great and it's held up very well over the years. It's a myth that hardwood floors don't work for kitchens.
March 29, 2012 at 1:42pm     
robkat
We have hardwoods and I love them. A warm oak in this house, and a pale maple in our old house. We have a 3 year old, 5 year old, 2 cats, and a 60-lb dog. I find them very easy to maintain. You will find imperfections if you look, but to me, it adds to the charm of the wood over time. A cracked tile just looks broken.
March 29, 2012 at 1:45pm     
rachelaughs
I also work in the flooring industry. I agree with bupshill there are so many options that LOOK like wood, but are much warmer, and scratch-resistant. I love the idea of tile...but the cold and the hard-ness of it just doesn't work for my lifestyle (in Wisconsin). There are many great wood options out there, that are not only beautiful but wear well--you just have to do your research.
March 29, 2012 at 1:52pm     
laurendreams
Thanks to all that answered. This was very helpful. Ultimately, there is nothing like the "real" thing.
March 30, 2012 at 5:52am     
Kisarau Architect, LTD.
I hope to get more responses, but so far we have about 65% preferring hardwood. That seems to be what our clients have wanted. Thanks to all who participated!
March 30, 2012 at 1:48pm     
karma88
We have renovated 3 houses and in all 3 put cork floors in the kitchen. They are a dream! Warm and soft...cork is the answer!
April 9, 2012 at 5:35am   
laurendreams
I was actually considering cork for my last kitchen -- my concern is its "softness" -- will spike heals make indentations? Thanks.
April 9, 2012 at 5:55am   
karma88
Spike heels will not make indentations - the floors are indestructible!
April 9, 2012 at 6:03am     
Kisarau Architect, LTD.
Has anyone had experience installing bamboo flooring?
April 11, 2012 at 5:36am   
What kind of vessel sink to use with our redwood top
Please see attached photos of our old-growth redwood...
Newest piece of furniture in your house?
Furnishing a house is often a lifetime project, with...
What does luxury mean to you?
The beauty of Houzz is that you can get inspiration...
Deck/Porch Design
We have a friend with a secondary deck, it is an empty...