Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elsvette

Should I replace the cabinets or paint it white? Should I change the k

Elsvette Cruz
9 years ago
We recently purchased a new condo. The condo has a pretty modern kitchen but not to my liking.

Should we spend the money to completely re-haul the kitchen? Or, should we paint the cabinets white and replace the counter with a quartz? Should we just add a backsplash only? Should we do nothing at all?

I'm conflicted.

Comments (23)

• Suk Yee Emily Chung
    9 years ago
    I think you should start with your budget. Once you know the max you are willing to spend then you could make plans on where you could spend them.
    The simplest would be to paint (you could do two tones if you want here), then would be to change out hardware, the kobs/pulls could make a big diffenence. Then after you have painted the cabinets and you still don't like your counter, then start looking at prefab counters (those are cheaper than a whole slab, and still a lot of choices on quartz prefab) and work in backsplash. If you do like your counters, then just add backsplash. There are different grade for everything, so once you figure out your budget, you could work on your plan. Good luck!
  • PRO
    Red Road Construction Group
    9 years ago
    Paint now and see what you think after a few months. You can always rip out painted cabinets!

Nice tile back-splash will take you the furthest, so spend your money there.
    You can replace the doors on one or two cabinets with glass pained doors to break it up a bit & add depth. Consider recessed lights.
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    9 years ago
    All good suggestions by syechung. I would like to add though the cabinet doors can be chucked and new style ones are simply brought. This is called refacing cabinets
  • Elsvette Cruz
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for the tips. Our budget is flexible. We would like to spend the least amount. We are thinking of replacing the god-awful green granite to something more neutral, so we know that it would be $$$. This is a 10x10 kitchen.

Also, this is probably our starter home. We will move, probably within the decade. Hence why I'm hesitant to spend money to change it. I would like to have a kitchen I love, but at what cost.
  • Elsvette Cruz
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    What would be a reasonable budget? We are completely new to this.
  • beachlily
    9 years ago
    Keep cabinets...change granite to white quartz.
  • beachlily
    9 years ago
    Oh and add new backsplash....maybe marble subway tile?
  • Suk Yee Emily Chung
    9 years ago
    Given this is a condo and a starter home, I wouldn't spent a whole lot. If you really don't like the counters, sounds like it should be the first to go. I don't know the price in other places, I'm in San Jose CA area. I see no name prefab quartz is about 100 to 350 a piece (8 to
  • backsplashideas
    9 years ago
    I would keep the cabinets, if you wanted to paint them it would be an easy budget fix. You could look into adding a backsplash to the kitchen. This will transform your kitchen! The Rings backsplash panel in Antique Bronze would add a nice contrast in your kitchen!
    Elsvette Cruz thanked backsplashideas
  • PRO
    Carmel Decor
    9 years ago
    I think adding a back splash would make a big difference in this kitchen. I do agree with starting with a budget.

Susan Koch
    Interior Designer
  • Elsvette Cruz
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for the tips everyone!

We've decided to hold off with the painting of the drawers and mostly focus on new countertops/backsplash. We were also thinking on paint the wall on the sink side.

Now our only dilemma is finding complimentary quartz countertops and backsplashes that go well with the cabinets. We've considered the white as mentioned above but we would love to add color. The cabinets I feel give an orange glow. I am not certain if my perception is right. I've attached a picture from a different unit that had the same finishings. The cabinet color shows well in this picture. Thoughts?

Thanks everyone for your input. This is an awesome community.
  • kiwi_bird
    9 years ago
    Since you just moved in and you aren't sure what you want, you shouldn't do anything! The answer will present itself after you live there for some time.
  • Elsvette Cruz
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks Kiwigem, it's just that we want to do all the construction while we are still living in our apartment and completing our lease. After researching the copper backsplash, that has intrigued us.
  • thadcopeland
    9 years ago
    Since it is a starter I would set aside the money you would spend into an investment account and then in 10 years when you are ready to move you will have money for your dream kitchen then your old house will be a starter for the next couple.
  • matteosmom
    9 years ago
    I would go neutral on the counters and backsplash, and let your accessories be the color that you want.
  • PRO
    Rebecca Mitchell Interiors
    9 years ago
    Your kitchen reminds me of a condo project I did a couple of years ago. My client didn't want to replace or repaint the new cabinetry but wanted to update the space. We simply added stainless steel backsplash (adhesive in this case to cover the existing backsplash quickly) and new cabinet hardware. These two things made a huge difference (see photos below - last photo is the "before"). In your case you could also replace the counter as mentioned (or just remove the 4" backsplash piece of granite). Change the kitchen carpet for something else and I'm sure you'd be very happy with these small but significant changes. I would have to strongly disagree with a copper backsplash with the existing cabinets - much too similar a tone to the cabinets and it would not look good with the stainless steel appliances either. Hope this helps. Good luck from Montreal!
  • Steph Newby
    9 years ago
    I agree a light white... soft white counter and then you can add soft color to the back splash. I don't think you should do light counters and light back splash...too much white.... but you need the white on counter to correct and update those cabinets... you could do cement counters and light back splash? depends on your preference too! if it bothers you to have white counters go with natural element cement on counters for ease of cleaning and care and vintage up the hardware... then dress up the back splash with a perfect tile or finish. Is that helpful?
  • maiie
    9 years ago
    I have lived in many places in many years of marriage? My best advice to you is being you do not plan long term living in this unit...my advice is stay neutral with main plan. This is for future resale. We bought after a company transfer thinking long term..we were there 5 months, new boss and told to move all managers to their region. Think resale and what brings the most interest. Use table mats, table cloth, pictures, throw rugs for color.

Our kitchen a few moves back needed redo very bad. We were in the process of doing kitchen when we were told of first move. My husband refinished the cabinets that the people had done a terrible job of painting peach. Turned out there was beautiful wood under the paint. New hardware and it made all the difference in the kitchen. Never did get to finish that kitchen as we had the 5 month move. Just as an add on...we moved back, built a house and 2 days before move in, the house burned. Had to rebuild. So...I have had lots of experience with kitchen decorating.

Marie
  • Nataly Hazaz
    9 years ago
    I would just change the Knobs to a more modern looking ones like a stainless steel pulls, change the countertops to Silestone, metallic or glass backsplash and it'll look like a new kitchen! good luck!
    Elsvette Cruz thanked Nataly Hazaz
  • Elsvette Cruz
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you all.
  • sheilaskb
    7 years ago

I would suggest you sand the cabinets and then paint them white. Since the doors have a picture-frame effect, I would suggest you paint the recessed panel a soft pastel you really love and that you are using for the accent color. I believe all this will contrast from the dark counter tops and make the kitchen much lighter and more pleasant and cheerful. You might invest in hardware in a brushed nickel finish and/or with a white ceramic feature added to the metal handles or knobs. For example, I plan to add a brass pull with a white ceramic cylinder (curved outwardly with both ends attaching flat to the wood) for the pulls on drawers and lower cabinet doors and a coordinating round, white ceramic knob with a pink rose on the upper cabinet doors. I hate having pockets and clothing catch on round knobs, and that is why I am using the decorative round knobs on the wall cabinets.

• PRO
    Century Hardware
    7 years ago

Start your remodel with new cabinet hardware!

Bocci Collection · More Info

Bocci 4" c.c. Pull - Antique Bronze w/ Copper · More Info

Bocci 1-3/8" Knob - Antique Bronze w/ Copper · More Info

Shop our Bocci Collection by clicking here!

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH