How to arrange furniture in new family room- open floor plan.
easpurk
This is a view of my new family room, the first 3 pictures taken from the kitchen facing out, the last from the foyer looking in. I have three out microfiber green pieces that have to stay for now, a sofa, love seat and oversized chair. Nothing else really has to stay. The train table will go to our playroom eventually but might have to stay for a little while. How would you recommend arranging this room? I know the obvious is reduce clutter and get the toys out. Are the sofas in the right place? I am grateful for any advice.
easpurk
More pics
July 8, 2014 at 5:30AM   
easpurk
I have two small end tables crammed in a corner too
July 8, 2014 at 5:31AM   
easpurk
I think probably lose the chair and the expedit shelf by the tv
July 8, 2014 at 7:47PM   
pcmom1
Yes, the shelf by the tv really needs to be moved out.

You really need a jumping off point. And some color. Maybe shop your home for an old quilt or piece of artwork for the wall over the loveseat. Then pull some colors from that for pillows, paint, drapery panels, etc.

I would clean up that brown bookcase and use nice baskets to hide clutter.
July 8, 2014 at 8:14PM   
S&A Decor
1) book shelf should go to the or office or better garbage
2) new dining table
3) you need a TV storage that takes up the entire wall (look for nice pictures) that way you can put all the stuff y have on the book shelf there, but it will be behind doors
4) nicer lightning fixtures
sorry if sound rough :(
Good luck
July 8, 2014 at 8:19PM     
pcmom1
Buy some fun pillows and paint some walls. You are a young and fun family, right?
HGTV HOME™ by Sherwin-Williams
Homes Under 700 sq feet
July 8, 2014 at 8:19PM     
pcmom1
Give your dining chairs a light sanding and paint them one or more bright colors:
White Kitchen
Brownhouse Design
July 8, 2014 at 8:22PM     
pcmom1
Tall wood bookcase feels very "heavy". Maybe you can paint it and paper the back? Or add light colored baskets to hold items.

And be patient with yourself thru this process. You have at least one baby and not much time. Remember, "Slow and steady wins the race!"
Cliffside Dr.
NoHo Duplex
July 8, 2014 at 8:33PM   
S&A Decor
here are the 2 pictures of TV storage i was talking about
i think white would work better with your walls
July 8, 2014 at 8:44PM     
Design Works
I'd flip flop the sofa and love seat if you can. Then move the loveseat to be almost centered on the TV and away from the wall. For behind the loveseat, consider getting a sofa table with a bottom shelf. One the bottom shelf you can get about three decorative boxes that house small toys or paper products you need to have easy access to from your existing bookshelf. That way you have some things on hand that can be discretely hidden away.

I'd suggest finding a larger end table for between the sofa and loveseat. Put a smaller end table on the opposite side of the sofa - between the tv wall and the sofa. The end tables don't need to match- just coordinate.

I would move the bookshelf to another room and loose the shelf near the TV. As for the chair near the TV, move it back into that corner and turn it on an angle to face the loveseat and sofa. It might fit better, and would create a better balanced conversation zone. If possible, down the road, I might suggest replacing it with a scaled down swivel chair. That way you can face the people on the sofa, or the TV.
July 12, 2014 at 12:34PM      Thanked by easpurk
easpurk
I am grateful for the comments. I agree that the bookshelf is not a great solution, however we need toy storage...I'll keep thinking. For the dining table, it's old, but pretty good quality. I considered refinishing, adding new legs and then new chairs, but maybe painting them would work
July 12, 2014 at 3:45PM   
pcmom1
I think the room would look more roomy if you removed the bulletin board and slid the bookcase down, right where the carpet starts.

That still might be too crowded.

Can you do some rearranging? Try swapping the sofa and loveseat as was suggested.

And we need to get some color in there. Can start with just a bowl of green apples on the table. Shop World Market or online for some curtain panels with color.
Guest House
Fabulously Functional Living Room (Design By Candice Olson)
July 12, 2014 at 5:21PM   
easpurk
We stained the dining table with java gel stain and painted the legs a vibrant teal to play off the blue designs in the curtains and roman shades. Also removed the large bookcase and swapped the sofa. I'll post pictures once I've completely finished the table and picked up kids toys. Down the road we plan on adding two,matching bookcases on either side of the tv with a shelf above to create a DIY built in. I'd also like to add an awesome new light fixture, maybe with a nice pop of color down the road. Do you think the table will help?
July 14, 2014 at 9:19AM     
easpurk
Close up of the curtains
July 14, 2014 at 9:21AM     
easpurk
The curtains were a DIY using target curtain panels added to plain white sheets. In hindsight, they are nice but weren't the best choice for this space, the bottom of the panels don't show up at all from most angles. I've also considered changing the white sheet part out for navy. We have plain white roman shades that we added part of the curtain panel to try to draw more visual interest.
July 14, 2014 at 9:24AM     
easpurk
This is a view looking into the kitchen. Excuse the chaos.
July 14, 2014 at 9:30AM   
easpurk
Walls are painted BM revere pewter throughout
July 14, 2014 at 9:33AM   
easpurk
Counters...the cabinets are a saddle color....any suggestions for a backsplash? We'd like to so that this winter.
July 14, 2014 at 9:46AM   
easpurk
And just one more question....paint dining chairs teal too or just stain dark?
July 14, 2014 at 4:49PM   
pcmom1
For chairs: I would stain the seat and paint the rest of the chair in teal. I love the table!
July 14, 2014 at 9:32PM   
asquithoatley
Table looks fab! And the with the teal chairs will look amazing- please post pics.
July 14, 2014 at 9:37PM   
pcmom1
We are 90% done with our kitchen reno. I would post photos if I knew how! We had our oak cabinets painted in Wicker (EB11-2, Valspar Eddie Bauer Lakeside Cottage series). With it we did a beadboard on all the walls. It is more affordable than tile, etc. and looks so good! It gives a really nice dimension to the walls.

Anyway, there is one option for you!
Queen Anne Kitchen
Bistro Style Kitchen
July 15, 2014 at 8:26AM   
easpurk
Yes our cabinets are maple with a saddle color. White wasn't an option since thermafoil was our only choice in white, not very good quality. We went with maple over the oak at least.
July 15, 2014 at 8:34AM     
easpurk
Since it's a brand new kitchen we will need to stick with the maple saddle colored cabinets which I actually like.. I wanted to do a small kitchen island with a copper top to play off the cabinets but hubby shot that down based on cost. We will be adding a small island to give us a few more pull out drawers and place for the garbage can. I am considering white for this however maybe teal too...
July 15, 2014 at 8:37AM   
housegal200
Before you start, declutter, declutter, declutter. Get rid of outgrown toys. Rotate many of the others so that your toddler often has "new toys!!!" Okay, now you're ready to deal with the decor and furniture arrangement.

--Keep the Expedit but get 1-2 others to run across the wall sideways. Place the TV on it. Use Expedit pull out drawers for all the remaining toys. Get rid of the tall bookcase once all the toys are stored in the Expedit arrangement. That will give you a clear pathway to connect the family room area to your kitchen.

--Get two modern tall-ish table lamps for the Expedit "console" setup.

--Leave couches as is but pull the chair in at an angle. (It's pretty oversized for the room, however. An occasional chair down the road would be better.)

--Get the same roman shade window treatment as you have in the dining area to connect the spaces. All the windows should have the same treatment.

--If that's the only space for a bulletin board, get or make a larger, really attractive one and make it a display/function space. I know blackboard paint walls are becoming passé, but it might work on that wall with the new bulletin board. They're child friendly.

--Change out your fan/light fixture for something modern down the road.

--Go to Overstock.com and find a large area rug in taupe, black, teal and your furniture will fit in better.

--Get yourself a long, low, two-shelf maple table you can us as a coffee table/drawing table for the family once the wonderful train table is outgrown.
July 15, 2014 at 9:03AM   
easpurk
Declutter. Lol. I sure will try. Not much I can really do since there has to be some toys for a 2 year old boy and 6 year old girl and the great big giant train table probably isn't going anywhere. Yes, we moved furniture, removed bookcase, revamped dining set with color, added window treatments as you can see from the other posts down the thread. Also, expedit shelves have been discontinued. The replacement, Kallax, does not have 5 shelves like our expedit so we are out of luck. So we moved it. I would like to buy two matching bookshelves to make a DIY built in on the tv wall. Thanks for the comments I really do appreciate all of them.

Backsplash thoughts?
July 15, 2014 at 10:22AM   
pcmom1
I like maple cabinets. I really couldn't tell what they were. Keepers for sure! As far as backsplash, hard to go wrong with a simple subway tile. Or you could have a little more fun and do tiles in three neutral colors that are in your countertop.

July 15, 2014 at 11:23AM     
easpurk
I live that backsplash!
July 15, 2014 at 11:34AM   
easpurk
Love :)
July 15, 2014 at 11:34AM     
Help with Family Room Furniture Options In An Open Floor Plan
We need help with our family room that is open to our...
Open floor plan furniture arrangement ideas
The space in question is probably a bit small for our...
Living Room & Family Room Into one room, how to arrange furniture?
We would like to knock down the wall between the formal...
Fireplace advice please
Hi! Should I put stone on the bottom portion only on...
Making room for curtains? What are rules for window treatments?
I hate how my builder put my windows right next to...
White paint
What white colors are good for painting walls without...
Looking for someting to go on the wall in my dining room
Looking for something that does not compete with the...