Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lorizgolf

How should I arrange our great room?

Lori
9 years ago
Our carpet was removed and hardwood being installed today. Our cable is currently opposite the FP but if we move it to the right of the FP then how should the furniture be arranged? We need to know before the furniture movers come back to replace the things we can't move. The tv console is ebony, the tall cabinets are oak. Love seat & sofa are same fabric. Chairs are sage. Flooring Cumaru Brazilian teak. Thanks!

Comments (17)

• decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    I'm thinking you should turn your rug and put the large sofa on the current TV wall, coffee table 18" from it. If you prefer to watch TV from the two chairs, then place them perpendicular to the left side of the FP, centered with the large opening into the room. If you use the loveseat more, put it on the left side and the chairs on the right. This will create a "U" with the seating. You may want to place the TV on a swivel stand so it can be adjusted for better viewing.
  • Lori
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks. And what about the tall oak cabinets?
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    One of them looks to be an entertainment center. If it is, then sell it on Craig's list. I assumed they were not part of the new arrangement. What is the bright room at that end of the space? Is it a sun room? You might use the glass front one there - even consider painting it if necessary. Now you've got me wondering about the pieces flanking the entry to the room. Just can't see all of it.
  • Lori
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Across the foyer is the dining room and opposite the entry to the great room is French door out to a deck. Neither tall cabinet is for the tv, we would like to keep that on the low cabinet it is currently on. Our concern has always been to balance out the high and low. The ceiling is eleven feet.
  • PRO
    Nicole Arnold Interiors
    9 years ago
    Can you hang the tv above the fireplace? It will allow you to streamline the focal points of the room (tv/fireplace) as well as remove the back of the loveseat from the entry point. you can make a "sectional" (l shape configuration) out of the two sofas.
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    For the best look, I really think you'll have to let go of some of the pieces in this room. Right now you have too many styles together and too much furniture. I gather that the ebony TV credenza is a keeper for sure. The two end tables flanking the credenza seem to be a pair. The coffee and sofa table are a pair. The two chairs aren't really in tune with the sofas and one injects a touch of Craftsman. Then you have the two tall cabs which possibly match the end tables. If given a choice and unlimited budget, which of these directions would you go?
  • Lori
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I too believe it's too much furniture and If budget wasn't an issue, I would hire a decorator and start from scratch! :-) However, it is and we use the cabinets for storage of serve ware and collectibles. However, I could get by with one. The love seat and sofa were reupholstered a couple of years ago, so they will stay as well as the console and tv. I would like the tv above fireplace but husband disagrees that it would be too high for our room. I tend to agree. We have many occasions when we need the two chairs for seating. I really appreciate the input.
  • Lori
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Also, we have already eliminated one end table and the other tables you may see are stacking tables. Thanks.
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    What are the two pieces flanking the opening into the foyer? I think the glass front cab could go where groveraxle suggested - where the two white stacked mirrors are.
  • Lori
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi deco,I'd take a picture of the tables but they are stored away while the flooring is being laid. The one to the left I'd like to keep, it is leather topped walnut with some wrought iron scroll and lattice work on back and sides and and a shelf on the bottom. It's about 3' x 18". The the one on the wall below the four pictures is just a little cherry table with drawer I planned to paint. It is approx. 28"x 15". Also, the coffee table and sofa table are not a set. I painted the legs on each to try to update.
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    I'd suggest you get some "Moving Men" furniture sliders, or simply cut the bottoms off of plastic milk and juice jugs. You'll be surprised at how easy moving furniture is. Is the new TV installation done yet? The best way to figure out the best configuration is just to push and shove until it falls in place.
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    The white bases on the coffee and sofa table speak of country style. The ebony piece with the sleek chrome handles is very contemporary. The two tall cabinets have a distinctly colonial style. The wood-armed chair is Craftsman. My latest thought, if you want to keep all the pieces and just go eclectic, is to place the TV center on the left of the FP, so you have room to flank the entryway with the two large cabs. Large sofa on the wall with the nesting table and other table at the each end. Hang the 4 pictures above the sofa - like you have them on the wall or in a single row. Loveseat where it is but centered more on the doorway. The leather topped piece right of the FP. Chairs angled to face TV, sitting in the corner near the deck doors. What do you think?
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    Can we see the new floors?
  • Lori
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here are a few shots of the floor. Love it. My husband is adding the floor moulding. Unfortunately, he realizes we can't move the tv across the room because of the surround sound. It has to stay where it is and must be plugged into tv to work. We have dry walled the lower level ceiling so he can't change the wiring downstairs. I'm back to square one! Grrrr. I understand the electric pieces. I can eliminate a piece or two.
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    The floor is beautiful. It really opens up the space.

I think your TV is fine on the original wall. I suggest, when you're ready for furniture, that you don't bring it all back in. Start with the TV and the seating only and let that sink in for a few days. As you sit in the room, you'll see where you need balance and where you like it bare. After a week or so, I suspect you may have some furniture for craigslist.
  • Lori
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    That's a good suggestion 'groveraxle'??. I think we are realizing that. I appreciate everyone's input.