How to build awardrobe around a fireplace... with no fireplace!
petstarr
Hi there, I'm looking for some advice on what to do with built in wardrobes in our bedroom. We have a fireplace wall (ie: two alcoves either side of a buttress) - but no fireplace to make a centre feature of.

We are ditching our horrid 1970s wardrobes (see picture) and can't decide whether to put hinged built-ins either side and leave the centre bare, or whether to put shelving across the centre wall to mantle height, leaving space for a painting or mirror above.

Or should we maximise the space and build a robe that goes all the way across? We have very high ceilings (just over 3m) so we're worried this option might create a "monster" in the room...

All the design ideas I've seen for wardrobes of this type have a feature fireplace in the middle. Really unsure what to do... any suggestions would be appreciated!
suzanne_m
I would do a wall to wall built-in all closed. The middle part would be shallower but you could store boxes, shoes etc.
July 9, 2014 at 2:06AM     
Patricia Colwell
Check out the Pax system from Ikea it is beautiful and has tons of options and is made for higher ceilings. I like the frosted glass doors it makes it look lighter in the space.
July 9, 2014 at 8:08AM     
A Byron
I agree with Suzanne m, go from wall to wall with built in
July 9, 2014 at 8:39AM     
petstarr
It's such a big space though, do you think it will look monstrously huge? 3.6m wide and 3.3m tall?
July 9, 2014 at 5:52PM   
hayleydaniels
You'll love all that space in a closet as the years go by. I doubt anyone ever complained they had too much storage space, and it will enhance your resale value.
July 9, 2014 at 6:08PM     
suzanne_m
You could have the wall to wall built in with a frosted glass on the top shelf like Patricia Colwell posted. Like she said, it would make it look lighter.
July 9, 2014 at 6:14PM   
What style mirror or mirrors will work over this vanity?
Some time after we had our electrical work competed...
Comfortable Flooring
I am trying to figure out what type flooring I should...
heating options for a three season room.
Looking for options for heating our space. i would...
Lighting, paint, media center in my living room
Hello, I have uploaded a discussion about my living...
Pewter or Brown curtain rods for the bedrooms
I am so confused as too what color curtain rods to...